ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Unless you only go to 15, there is no one to pair with UConn that makes both ACC schools and ESPN happy. Memphis is likely the best candidate and they aren't a good choice. ACC dropped the ball IMO on adding one or more of WV, Cincy, UCF. Now they are stuck at 14 until the end of the GOR, while the B12 is gaining steam.
some pac 12 schools could be an option if they ever complete there media rights deal

some pac 12 schools could be an option if they ever complete there media rights deal

Why would the P10 schools want to go cross country when they can stuck together. Even if they lose schools to the B12, there is enough left for a regional conference.

Why would the P10 schools want to go cross country when they can stuck together. Even if they lose schools to the B12, there is enough left for a regional conference.
money like everybody else

Not for chump change. A move to the ACC would be short term. No reason to make a commitment if it isn’t your end game.
would be double to triple what a regional only would get after defections to big ten and big 12 or acc

would be double to triple what a regional only would get after defections to big ten and big 12 or acc

The top P10 brands are still there they won’t get $15M a year.

The B12 won't get the most valuable P12 schools, so why should the ACC add them? We wouldn't be keeping them away from the B12.

I think the only realistic move the ACC can make is a BBall move. Will the FB schools agree to that? Will ESPN make it worth it? If the ACC added 2 all sport and 3 BBall to get to 16/20 and kill off the Big East, would it add money?

So add UConn, USF (assuming you cannot get Cincy, WV, or UCF), St Johns, Villanova, Georgetown.
Didn’t we already see how a conference with bball-onlies works out with the BE?

The ACC already has enough representation in Florida. There is no reason to add UCF and USF. I would not mind adding UConn. I also think that Tulane would be an interesting addition, if for no other reason, fun road trips.

I would live to see a stronger Northeast presence, but there really are not that many attractive teams (I hated the hybrid concept in the Big East and would be disappointed if the ACC adopted basketball only schools). The real problem is that there is not many, if any, attractive options. Current FBS schools in the Northeast not in the ACC:

Maine - None;
New Hampshire - None;
Vermont - None;
Massachusetts - UMass (Indy)
Rhode Island - None;
Connecticut - UConn (Indy);
New York - Army (Indy), SUNY-Buffalo (MAC);
New Jersey - Rutgers (B1G); and
Pennsylvania - Penn State (B1G), Temple (AAC).

I just do not see how Army (or Navy) would really move the needle athletically for the ACC. Out of Buffalo, Temple, or UConn, UConn really is the only school of the three that has some national brand recognition, albeit for basketball.

Adding Cincy and BYU make sense for XII. I am less sold on adding another Texas school in Houston or UCF. But even those schools might make sense. Its discussions with UConn and Gonzaga and whoever looks desperate.
UConn's head coach said he is going to win championships there. Mora, the football coach.

Didn’t we already see how a conference with bball-onlies works out with the BE?
Technically because of Notre Dame we already are. Also the Big East was run by Providence who were looking out for Providence and despised football. The ACC would be 80% FB and the BBall folks know this is their lifeboat.

When they are gone there is nothing worth adding for the ACC. Which is back to the point why do it for either side?
Depends on ambitious the Bigten is, if they only add 2, there are plenty of other options that add to conference

Why not wait five to ten years when most of the B1G and SEC teams realize they cannot win the conference let alone the national championship.

Last edited:
UConn's head coach said he is going to win championships there. Mora, the football coach.
Alabama is scared to death. You see, he is doing the very easy thing now. Talking. They will never win a football championship at UConn. They will be lucky to have a winning season or two. I do wonder if they are stupid enough to join the B12 if they are invited though.

Alabama is scared to death. You see, he is doing the very easy thing now. Talking. They will never win a football championship at UConn. They will be lucky to have a winning season or two. I do wonder if they are stupid enough to join the B12 if they are invited though.
He won 6 games last year, his 1st season there and the team he was handed was probably the worst in the FBS.

Which of course is the best board game ever.

My HS buddies and I used to call it Risk Your Friendship.

Because there'd be 'secret' alliances not to attack somebody, but then they'd get to a point where they wanted to break that, and then all hell would break loose.
Fun times!! :p

Also very SEC…

They love fattening their records with home games against terrible programs that have no chance to win.

And what's always funky is that often when they play a big OOC game its at a neutral site, talk about controlling as many variables as possible.

Not including the rivalry games with the ACC.

The football schools like Florida State and Clemson are trying to fight a fight that they’ve already lost. They need to focus on shoring up the ACC as the third best conference against the Big 12 and PAC 12. The Big 10 and SEC will continue to rake in the most revenue by far. The ACC just needs to do whatever it can to increase the pot to stay ahead of the Big 12 and PAC 12.

What many don't understand Sherm is the ego part of the equation when it comes to football and powerful alums and a lot of fans. Bigger facilities/stadiums and more $ to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom