ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 95 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Acc and Pac 12 are still talking about the ACCN merger thing from months back, sounds like a contingency thing for both sides or waiting for the bigten to make a move

Mcmurphy seems to jump on every bogus realignment rumor lately. Really disappointing.

And if the Big 12 gets poached again, will UConn screw the Big East a third time?
And the other side is reporting that the B12 commish is blowing smoke. No B12 schools have discussed expansion. Which makes sense. How can you split BBall package when you are under contract 7 more years?

Mcmurphy seems to jump on every bogus realignment rumor lately. Really disappointing.

And if the Big 12 gets poached again, will UConn screw the Big East a third time?
I really, deeply dislike UConn for all the proper reasons. That said, I wonder if UConn finding a safe landing slot in the B12 indirectly provides SU with a potential safety net if the ACC should falter (and the B12 becomes the third of three power conferences)? They’ll need a travel partner. Hypothetically, at least.

Let’s keep the ACC afloat gang.

The reason UCONN has returned to relevance is moving back to the Big East. Moving to the Big 12 will hurt their recruiting. We lost players to them because of their move back to the Big East (Jackson).

I don't think the ACC is adding any team in the near term. They have I am sure run all data and probably bounced it off ESPN to get a sense of value. I am sure that they have run the numbers on options people have not even thought of at this point. Unless ND goes all in, I think the ACC will stand as is. They won't dilute the pool of dollars. The ACC needs its teams to play better.

nothing new on any of that. Acc isn’t disbanding any time soon
ACC is definitely disbanding...it's always been a bet on timing.

my guess is Syracuse has a minimum of 5-7 years left of this current grouping in the ACC. Anything longer or shorter i'd deem a surprise.

Not worth wasting any air on it.

I said soon, soon is 5 years or less. I think the conference is screwed probably is 2032 or 2033 unless some school tries to sue it’s way out

IMO it is all up to UNC. They are an outsider in the B16 and will have a hard time competing in FB. They are an outsider in the SEC and will have an even harder time competing in FB. In the ACC they run the conference, and can actually make the playoffs.

They have never been all about FB so it won't bother them that they do not have huge FB budget. They aren't looking to win a national title every year. The chances of making the playoffs are higher in the ACC. Heck they just reduced their stadium by 12k. Their stadium is half the size of the B16 and SEC schools, which would make them the Duke of those conferences.

As long as they can compete in BBall, there is no rush for them to leave the ACC. It won't matter that Ole Miss is making $100M a year while UNC is only making 1/3 of that.

I think the same can be said of BC, SU, Pitt, UVA, VA Tech, Duke, Wake, NC State, and GA Tech. FSU and Clemson will be bothered by losing out on recruits. So they will likely want out. Louisville has an inferiority complex, but where are they going?

Miami is a wild card. They can compete better in the ACC. IMO that gives them the best chance at being the U again. Going to the B16 they would get lost in the shuffle and end up being a nice fall getaway for 25k fans from their Midwestern opponent of the week.

If UNC decides the ACC is their best home, I could see the ACC surviving as #3 for a very very long time. Even if FSU and Clemson were to leave the ACC can fill with USF and UConn/Temple and be totally fine. That would actually be an improvement in BBall.

Edit

As to stadium capacity:

-only Northwestern would be smaller in the B16

-only Vandy would be smaller in the SEC, and the #15 SEC team by capacity is over 10k larger than UNC.

Last edited:
The same people saying the ACC will die imminently said the same thing 5 years ago on the board. You might be right, but it will be after 100 predictions and 15-20 years.

I really, deeply dislike UConn for all the proper reasons. That said, I wonder if UConn finding a safe landing slot in the B12 indirectly provides SU with a potential safety net if the ACC should falter (and the B12 becomes the third of three power conferences)? They’ll need a travel partner. Hypothetically, at least.

Let’s keep the ACC afloat gang.
The administration would be dumb not to look at a contingency plan. If the Big 12 wants to expand its Northeast footprint, they could go to Pitt and boom, magnificent 7 becomes 8, and the ACC is no more.

Better Cuse than Pitt, BC.

So, do we root for or against FSU in the college baseball World Series? :)

I don't think the ACC is adding any team in the near term. They have I am sure run all data and probably bounced it off ESPN to get a sense of value. I am sure that they have run the numbers on options people have not even thought of at this point. Unless ND goes all in, I think the ACC will stand as is. They won't dilute the pool of dollars. The ACC needs its teams to play better.
You realize its in the ACC contract that by adding any team, they would get the same exact payment as all the other teams currently in the ACC, if not more if it was a bigger brand? There is no team the ACC could add that would bring the team payment down!!

Which of course is the best board game ever.
831647.gif

You realize its in the ACC contract that by adding any team, they would get the same exact payment as all the other teams currently in the ACC, if not more if it was a bigger brand? There is no team the ACC could add that would bring the team payment down!!
That's why they need to add Uconn, and USF, and convince UCF, and Cincinnati to join the ACC, and not the Big 12.
Keep the Big 12 out of Florida, and Big 10 country.
Let them be confined mostly to Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas.
That way they never get to be the 3rd conference, ACC will stay 3rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom