ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 91 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Penn State's Med School is in Hershey.

My understanding is that the location of the college within the university is irrelevant. It just matters whether the medical school (or any other college) is affiliated with a specific university such that the university can lay claim to the research dollars.

My understanding is that the location of the college within the university is irrelevant. It just matters whether the medical school (or any other college) is affiliated with a specific university such that the university can lay claim to the research dollars.
I would think you're correct if the dean of Med School is subordinate to whoever is in charge in State College as opposed to being its own entity.

I am counting the days to the 82 page thread on SYRACUSE HAS A MEDICAL SCHOOL!

That did not work well for UNL. Not arguing your point as many schools locate their medical school off campus. I know OU's medical school is in OKC, about 25 miles for OU's main campus in Norman. UT' has a hospital in Galveston.

Like never, ever ever ever? I realize there's no guarantees in life, so any of us would be lucky to see 2036, but it's not that far off. Since teams usually leave one or two years before the end of the GOR, that leaves 10 years left. 10 years in relation to an educational institution, isn't exactly forever.

You're correct that ten years isn't real that long in the realm. I mean, we're already about halfway through '23, a year from now, and a few months, we will be approaching 5 years from when we first started hearing about COVID 19. 5 years...

IMO, there isn't much doubt in my mind, that the ACC, at least in its current state as we know it today, is clearly on borrowed time. It'll be a relatively slow demise, but 10 years or so places us to the point in time where the ACC will be at its inevitable/absolute fateful plight.

I'm already at a place (as many folks sentiment here) relative to the current landscape of revenue sports at the P5 level, where my interest, commitment, passion, etc. is night and day different than just 10 short years ago. I imagine, at or around the time of the GOR exhaust date (if I'm still around) I will be 70 ish, and, based upon my current level of declined interest, etc., it'll hardly register in my overall being.

I think the ACC should have a FB scheduling agreement with the P10 and add new members UConn, Nova, St Johns, Georgetown.

In FB you have 15 schools now. In conference you play 2 + 6/6. OOC you have 10 teams play the P10 and 5 play ND on a rotating basis. So over 6 years you have ND H&A and 2 P10 teams H&A.

In BBall you have 19 teams. So you play 2 H&A, 8 H, and 8 A. So over 2 years you play 2 teams 4x (2H/2A) and 16 teams both home and away.

Without UConn, Nova, St Johns, Georgetown the Big East has no pull left in the Northeast, making the ACC the Northeast's BBall conference. That helps for recruiting and is attractive for TV $.

I think making these moves now would solidify the ACC as the #3 FB conference and #1 BBall conference. Also it makes it easier to survive if/when teams leave in 10 years or so. I would also push ND for a 6th yearly FB game to help with TV $.

That did not work well for UNL. Not arguing your point as many schools locate their medical school off campus. I know OU's medical school is in OKC, about 25 miles for OU's main campus in Norman. UT' has a hospital in Galveston.
LSU's medical school is in New Orleans less than 10 blocks from Tulane's. Granted, the elevated I-10 roadway is between them, but you get the point.

Nobody is leaving the ACC for a long time. This unequal revenue sharing may work out if the college playoff money is as high as it sounds. Say FSU (Syracuse, or whoever) runs the table in the playoffs. If the ACC gets $100 million for the playoffs, say ACC gives FSU $40 million and the $60 million is split among 13 teams. That puts FSU right up there near the Big 10/SEC.

The reason it did not work well for UNL is that the medical school is not affiliated with UNL. It is a stand alone university, similar to how Upstate Medical is a standalone university within the SUNY system.

Like never, ever ever ever? I realize there's no guarantees in life, so any of us would be lucky to see 2036, but it's not that far off. Since teams usually leave one or two years before the end of the GOR, that leaves 10 years left. 10 years in relation to an educational institution, isn't exactly forever.
2034 earliest for one offs leaving. I predict that ESPN will strengthen the ACC deal via some arrangement with the PAC

You're correct that ten years isn't real that long in the realm. I mean, we're already about halfway through '23, a year from now, and a few months, we will be approaching 5 years from when we first started hearing about COVID 19. 5 years...

IMO, there isn't much doubt in my mind, that the ACC, at least in its current state as we know it today, is clearly on borrowed time. It'll be a relatively slow demise, but 10 years or so places us to the point in time where the ACC will be at its inevitable/absolute fateful plight.

I'm already at a place (as many folks sentiment here) relative to the current landscape of revenue sports at the P5 level, where my interest, commitment, passion, etc. is night and day different than just 10 short years ago. I imagine, at or around the time of the GOR exhaust date (if I'm still around) I will be 70 ish, and, based upon my current level of declined interest, etc., it'll hardly register in my overall being.
Love the Zen take:)

Based on the Pac and 12s situations the ACC is actually looking like they cut as good a deal as possible given their late start. They came in at the 3rd position and have and will maintain the 3rd position. 2 possibly 4 of the ACC schools would have done better.
NC
Va
Gt
FSU
Maybe Clemson as a 5th.
The rest including SU would be in trouble.
GT is enormously overrated in realignment. They're in the right location, and their Academics will keep them on the B1G list (and SEC history on our list, too). Unfortunately, their Athletics Brand and following are too much "Rice" and not enough "Georgia".

We will all still care as college sports become more professionalized, but we might not care quite as much. For me, the tipping point has been the transfer portal. For others, it's NIL or realignment drama.

Nobody is leaving the ACC for a long time. This unequal revenue sharing may work out if the college playoff money is as high as it sounds. Say FSU (Syracuse, or whoever) runs the table in the playoffs. If the ACC gets $100 million for the playoffs, say ACC gives FSU $40 million and the $60 million is split among 13 teams. That puts FSU right up there near the Big 10/SEC.
FSU would have (just barely) squeaked into a 12 team playoff last year. But they're a middle of the pack ACC team since Jimbo left, they might regret this revenue reallocation plan before it's all over.

FSU would have (just barely) squeaked into a 12 team playoff last year. But they're a middle of the pack ACC team since Jimbo left, they might regret this revenue reallocation plan before it's all over.

They would have been the 2nd team left out last season.

Respectfully, Jimbo Fisher left FSU in shambles. I will concede that others made it worse before getting better. JF won his ring with Bobby Bowden’s players, after that the slide began. If you look close, JF has not done as much as the Aggieland team should have done. You may be looking for a new HC sooner than many had hoped.

The Seminoles are still recruiting Top level kids in Florida. It remains to be seen whether the HC can actually coach as he has had much higher rated recruits than most of the ACC.

Respectfully, Jimbo Fisher left FSU in shambles. I will concede that others made it worse before getting better. JF won his ring with Bobby Bowden’s players, after that the slide began. If you look close, JF has not done as much as the Aggieland team should have done. You may be looking for a new HC sooner than many had hoped.

The Seminoles are still recruiting Top level kids in Florida. It remains to be seen whether the HC can actually coach as he has had much higher rated recruits than most of the ACC.

Come on. Bowden was 21-19 in the ACC his last 5 years with a high of 5Ws. The 13 years prior to that he had 8 losses in the ACC combined! Overall he was 38-27 his last 5 seasons.

Jimbo's 1st 6 years he was 40-8 in the ACC. He won his title in year 4, past most of Bobby's recruits. Years 3-7 his worst record was 10-3. And only one non 10 W season in his first 7 years.

The FSU slide had to do with a poorly run AD and facilities that made ours look nice.

Come on. Bowden was 21-19 in the ACC his last 5 years with a high of 5Ws. The 13 years prior to that he had 8 losses in the ACC combined! Overall he was 38-27 his last 5 seasons.

Jimbo's 1st 6 years he was 40-8 in the ACC. He won his title in year 4, past most of Bobby's recruits. Years 3-7 his worst record was 10-3. And only one non 10 W season in his first 7 years.

The FSU slide had to do with a poorly run AD and facilities that made ours look nice.
There was a grasp for power at FSU between Jimbo and the head of the booster group. Strangely, at FSU, the AD was tertiary behind the Seminole Boosters, Inc. Anyhow, Jimbo tried to hold out and did for a while, but eventually, got his escape hatch in the form of a 10-year, $75M offer from the Aggies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom