ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 92 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

FSU would have (just barely) squeaked into a 12 team playoff last year. But they're a middle of the pack ACC team since Jimbo left, they might regret this revenue reallocation plan before it's all over.
Maybe...but FSU has to do something to appease their irrational fanbase.

Respectfully, Jimbo Fisher left FSU in shambles. I will concede that others made it worse before getting better. JF won his ring with Bobby Bowden’s players, after that the slide began. If you look close, JF has not done as much as the Aggieland team should have done. You may be looking for a new HC sooner than many had hoped.

The Seminoles are still recruiting Top level kids in Florida. It remains to be seen whether the HC can actually coach as he has had much higher rated recruits than most of the ACC.
Bowden was the coach in name only his last few years, 2013 was Jimbo's team through and through. He left FSU because it had been allowed to become a shambles, not because he'd turned it into one. They weren't willing (or able?) to spend the money to keep up with the biggest programs.

As for what Jimbo has done at A&M, that has more to do with his inability to adapt to a changing landscape. Unlimited free transfers and a significant change in most offensive philosophies have left him behind, and even with A&M's resources he can't always out-talent the competition from week to week as he could in his early days at FSU. I criticize Saban a ton b/c he's always had the most talent, but he also has adapted his coaching style and his system over the decades to fit with his players and with changes in football in general. If Jimbo wants to win a Title, even an SEC one, or perhaps get back into the top 5 at least, he will need to adapt, as well.

There was a grasp for power at FSU between Jimbo and the head of the booster group. Strangely, at FSU, the AD was tertiary behind the Seminole Boosters, Inc. Anyhow, Jimbo tried to hold out and did for a while, but eventually, got his escape hatch in the form of a 10-year, $75M offer from the Aggies.
Jimbo actually didn't want to ever leave FSU. He expected FSU to match that contract offer, and when they didn't, he had to make a hard choice. He saw how the AD had been allowed to deteriorate, and he saw that he'd have more resources and support at A&M. And, with that 10 year contract, he could go 10-1 and finish #4 one year, then go 5-7 a couple years later, and not have to worry about his seat warming up even a tiny bit. I've been mostly happy with that deal until this past year, but I still think it will age better than Lincoln Riley's or, especially, Mel Tucker's.

Speaking of MSU's Tucker, he is 23-21 in 4 seasons as a head coach, including a losing record last year, and he's on year 2 of a 10 year, $95m contract. He did well in his assistant days at plenty of high profile pro and college teams, but, after 4 years, it's clear he's not an Elite head coach. OU let Riley walk when USC offered him an insane contract that he'd never be able to live up to, MSU should have done the same with Tucker.

Bowden was the coach in name only his last few years, 2013 was Jimbo's team through and through. He left FSU because it had been allowed to become a shambles, not because he'd turned it into one. They weren't willing (or able?) to spend the money to keep up with the biggest programs.

As for what Jimbo has done at A&M, that has more to do with his inability to adapt to a changing landscape. Unlimited free transfers and a significant change in most offensive philosophies have left him behind, and even with A&M's resources he can't always out-talent the competition from week to week as he could in his early days at FSU. I criticize Saban a ton b/c he's always had the most talent, but he also has adapted his coaching style and his system over the decades to fit with his players and with changes in football in general. If Jimbo wants to win a Title, even an SEC one, or perhaps get back into the top 5 at least, he will need to adapt, as well.
Jimbo might be the 1st or 2nd most over paid coach in college sports. Tied with Mel. I think he's a complete empty suit

IMO no P10 team should leave unless the TV contract is ridiculously bad. Even if the P10 contract is $5M less than the B12, why leave when the B12 is not your end game? Especially if you have no risk of being left behind in the MWC.

Colorado can stay in the current P10 for 5-6 years and they still have the B12 as a fall back. But they also have an outside shot IMO to make both the B1G and SEC. So why not see how things play out? Is the short term small money bump worth the change?

IMO no P10 team should leave unless the TV contract is ridiculously bad. Even if the P10 contract is $5M less than the B12, why leave when the B12 is not your end game? Especially if you have no risk of being left behind in the MWC.

Colorado can stay in the current P10 for 5-6 years and they still have the B12 as a fall back. But they also have an outside shot IMO to make both the B1G and SEC. So why not see how things play out? Is the short term small money bump worth the change?
The new B12 contract expires in 2031. If the PAC schools have a brain in their head, they will make sure any new contract they sign expires before then, so even though the PAC schools may lose a few million per year keeping the conference together, they end up free agents before they would if they joined the B12.

The dilemma is, the shorter the contract, the less the yearly payout.

My guess is they settle for an expiration date in 2030. And I bet it is $5 million or so less per school per year than what the B12 got with their new contract. That said, I am not sure if P10 schools defected, they would get the full amount of what the B12 schools got anyway. Would not be surprised if the B12 schools would pay them less and split the extra money amongst themselves. Like some are suggesting that the ACC do if it expands with P10 schools.

The reason it did not work well for UNL is that the medical school is not affiliated with UNL. It is a stand alone university, similar to how Upstate Medical is a standalone university within the SUNY system.
UNMC is part of UNL, 1 university, 4 campuses, different than Upstate Medical

UNMC is part of UNL, 1 university, 4 campuses, different than Upstate Medical

UNMC is not a part of UNL even though it may offer courses at the Lincoln campus. It is not listed on the Colleges and Departments for UNL and the page even contains this disclaimer:

"Programs are also offered at the university by the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) College of Public Affairs and Community Service, and University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC) colleges of Dentistry and Nursing."

It is a separate university within the University of Nebraska system. While the system may try and claim that all of the campuses are part of the same university that is not how the AAU looks at it.

maybe for AAU but its all under the same state university umbrella, and yes campuses are different but programs blended similar to how Cornell had a medical school campus in NYC.

UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA MEDICAL CENTER​

The University of Nebraska Medical Center was founded in 1880 as the Omaha Medical College and joined the University of Nebraska in 1902. What began as the state’s first medical college expanded and grew to incorporate a dental college, a pharmacy college, nursing college, and many more areas of study. Today, UNMC works to educate and build a 21st century health care work force. UNMC’s six colleges and two institutes, in partnership with Nebraska Medicine, not only educate future health care providers, but generate an annual economic impact of $5.9 billion for the state of Nebraska. In total, UNMC serves more than 4,000 students in more than two dozen programs. Approximately half of Nebraska’s physicians, dental professionals, pharmacists, bachelor-prepared nurses and allied health professionals have graduated from UNMC.

I
LSU's medical school is in New Orleans less than 10 blocks from Tulane's. Granted, the elevated I-10 roadway is between them, but you get the point.
I believe location is irrelevant. The key point is affiliation with the school. NYU and NYULH are in the same city but I don’t think they have the necessary affiliation, while I believe Cornell Ithaca and Weill Cornell Medical in NYC do. Admittedly, I have to check my math on that.

Trilly Donovan, an anonymous Twitter account that’s been a must read for transfer
basketball scoops, is saying there’s been lots of chatter about UConn leaving the Big East. I suspect it’s for the Big 12 (maybe along with basketball only addition in Gonzaga?). But I do wonder if the ACC tries to swoop in and grab UConn to protect its own basketball brand, shore up the Northeast and reignite the Cuse-UConn rivalry. Having UNC-Duke and Cuse-UConn would be huge for basketball. The ACC needs to get back to being the top dog in basketball.

I’d love to see that move along with adding Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Zona and ASU. ACC needs to be proactive in expansion in order to outflank the Big 12 as the third best conference, even if it’s not a huge boost in TV revenue.

Trilly Donovan, an anonymous Twitter account that’s been a must read for transfer
basketball scoops, is saying there’s been lots of chatter about UConn leaving the Big East. I suspect it’s for the Big 12 (maybe along with basketball only addition in Gonzaga?). But I do wonder if the ACC tries to swoop in and grab UConn to protect its own basketball brand, shore up the Northeast and reignite the Cuse-UConn rivalry. Having UNC-Duke and Cuse-UConn would be huge for basketball. The ACC needs to get back to being the top dog in basketball.

I’d love to see that move along with adding Washington, Oregon, Stanford, Utah, Zona and ASU. ACC needs to be proactive in expansion in order to outflank the Big 12 as the third best conference, even if it’s not a huge boost in TV revenue.
Unlikely, UConn doesn’t move the needle

I get the impression the Big 12 is paying a bunch of pr / influencer types to spread this stuff.

UConn hoops went home and promptly won a title. Hard to argue with their logic.

Unlikely, UConn doesn’t move the needle
The ACC leaders shouldn’t worry about moving the needle against the SEC and Big10. They lost that battle already. It’s over. They need to worry about outflanking the Big12 for the third best football conference and shoring up basketball. That’s the battle that’s being faught now. Have you not seen how the Big12 has been dominating in basketball the past few years? Reigniting the Cuse-UConn rivalry will give ACC basketball new juice to go with UNC Duke. Then add Washington, Oregon and some west coast teams to shore up football.

The ACC leaders shouldn’t worry about moving the needle against the SEC and Big10. They lost that battle already. It’s over. They need to worry about outflanking the Big12 for the third best football conference and shoring up basketball. That’s the battle that’s being faught now. Have you not seen how the Big12 has been dominating in basketball the past few years? Reigniting the Cuse-UConn rivalry will give ACC basketball new juice to go with UNC Duke. Then add Washington, Oregon and some west coast teams to shore up football.

I see your point but UConn is a huge turn off for the "football" schools in the ACC and I'm not sure anyone in the PAC moves the needle for them.

That is so SEC. Going 4-0 and at worst 3 and 1 OOC playing patsies puts them in a great position to have a plethora of teams, not schools mind you, in the Top 25. It reminds of a talented 18 year old playing against average 13 year olds to look cool. So much talent and yet they still have to manipulate the voting $ystem.

That is so SEC. Going 4-0 and at worst 3 and 1 OOC playing patsies puts them in a great position to have a plethora of teams, not schools mind you, in the Top 25. It reminds of a talented 18 year old playing against average 13 year olds to look cool. So much talent and yet they still have to manipulate the voting $ystem.
Also very SEC…

They love fattening their records with home games against terrible programs that have no chance to win.

Also very SEC…

They love fattening their records with home games against terrible programs that have no chance to win.

Which is why IMO they will need some of these schools eventually: VA Tech, WV, Pitt, Cincy, NC State, Kansas, Colorado, Arizona State, BYU, UNLV, San Diego State. They need more Ws for the big schools within conference.

The B12 won't get the most valuable P12 schools, so why should the ACC add them? We wouldn't be keeping them away from the B12.

I think the only realistic move the ACC can make is a BBall move. Will the FB schools agree to that? Will ESPN make it worth it? If the ACC added 2 all sport and 3 BBall to get to 16/20 and kill off the Big East, would it add money?

So add UConn, USF (assuming you cannot get Cincy, WV, or UCF), St Johns, Villanova, Georgetown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom