ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 210 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Reasonable people can differ on adding any of these other than SMU. Btw I read recently that UConn athletics has a deficit of over $50mm as is. That and they were called out this week in a front page WSJ article (along with a number of other public universities including PSU) for profligate spending which has then been dropped on students through tuition hikes.
SMU is a sleeping giant and Uconn wins ‘ships. Easy as that. Solidifies the boston and nyc market. While gaining meaningful entry to texas. Money would be figured out

Last edited:
I think Stanford and Cal will end up in the B10 eventually. There’s just no rush right now. The B10 has 8 of the 10 largest university alumni bases, and the only two missing are Texas and Cal. They are probably just keeping room open to see how the east coast and ND shape up later on.

When does the appeal of ND wear off? Last championship was 1988—that’s 35 years ago! Religion, as a whole, is on a major downswing. And the B10 would end up with another private school, with three schools in the state of Indiana. ND will wait as long as they can, because they know as soon as they join a conference any of their remaining mystique is gone-zo.

I think Stanford and Cal will end up in the B10 eventually. There’s just no rush right now. The B10 has 8 of the 10 largest university alumni bases, and the only two missing are Texas and Cal. They are probably just keeping room open to see how the east coast and ND shape up later on.

When does the appeal of ND wear off? Last championship was 1988—that’s 35 years ago! Religion, as a whole, is on a major downswing. And the B10 would end up with another private school, with three schools in the state of Indiana. ND will wait as long as they can, because they know as soon as they join a conference any of their remaining mystique is gone-zo.

ND had a 15% acceptance rate this year, so no time soon.

Reasonable people can differ on adding any of these other than SMU. Btw I read recently that UConn athletics has a deficit of over $50mm as is. That and they were called out this week in a front page WSJ article (along with a number of other public universities including PSU) for profligate spending which has then been dropped on students through tuition hikes.
That's the deficit spending the Wall Street Journal is concerned about? Good grief.

True. But it didn’t/doesn’t have to be that way.
Maybe not in Syracuse. But in the northeast the reality is that pro football will always rule the roost.

Conferences have spent a lot of money, stupidly, trying to develop a marketing presence in New York. It ain’t gonna happen, no matter how many Yankee Stadium billboards they buy.

The ACC thought adding BC would give them a Boston presence. Anyone who grew up there could’ve told them that the BC haters outnumber the BC fans 10:1. And the BC indifferents outnumber the BC haters 100:1.

There are exactly two colleges that register in the northeast: Penn State and Notre Dame. That’s it, and that’s all it’ll ever be.

Better to accept reality and work around it, than tilt at windmills and waste more time and money.

Man Cal, SMU, Stanford and Uconn could have made a lot of sense
Do you know anything about CFB and what makes it tick? Are you aware that the TV deals are for TV viewers? Cal and Stanford would bring nothing by themselves. UConn would bring less than nothing. SMU would be somewhere between Cal and UConn in that regard.

Picking up two of the best basketball brands in Yukon and Gonzaga is exactly what Yormark has mentioned. He wants to split basketball and football media contracts and feels basketball is currently undervalued. If he really starts to put a stronger emphasis on basketball at the next round of expansion, Syracuse, Pitt Louisville, Duke may all be available. That would potentially be the best basketball conference in the country.
That's why Yomark is the hired help reporting to the Presidents/Chancellors. His vision is secondary to theirs.

Do you know anything about CFB and what makes it tick? Are you aware that the TV deals are for TV viewers? Cal and Stanford would bring nothing by themselves. UConn would bring less than nothing. SMU would be somewhere between Cal and UConn in that regard.

You’re talking about the current situation driven by linear tv. And you support a team that will probably be leaving.

This gravy train is going to be reduced.

Is it that bad to have a team that represents what will be the third largest DMA within the decade and is flush with cash for support of the football team in spades? Two others from NoCal, one of which has a portion of its operating budget from its $40bn endowment that supersedes most total endowments from ACC schools?

UConn can kick rocks.

Again, if this was a serious conference, the HQ wouldn’t be in Greensboro or Charlotte.

Stanford would fit fine academically and athletically. Geography hardly matters anymore if we follow the recent wave.

SMU in the ACC has Houston potential imo and give us a market in Texas to potentially expand upon.

Uconn immediately becomes a top 2 or 3 cbb program in the ACC and has football potential, albeit small, whether people here admit it or not. They also solidify the NYC, Boston tv markets. If the ACC had a brain our conference tourney would alternate between NYC and Charlotte/DC, but the ACC cares less about viewership than we do here.

Cal’s just a fourth team. Maybe SDSU or someone else fits better.

Stanford would fit fine academically and athletically. Geography hardly matters anymore if we follow the recent wave.

SMU in the ACC has Houston potential imo and give us a market in Texas to potentially expand upon.

Uconn immediately becomes a top 2 or 3 cbb program in the ACC and has football potential, albeit small, whether people here admit it or not. They also solidify the NYC, Boston tv markets. If the ACC had a brain our conference tourney would alternate between NYC and Charlotte/DC, but the ACC cares less about viewership than we do here.

UConn hoop would take a immediate hit if they went to the ACC. Just like us. Just like Pitt. Look how UConn did when they moved to the AAC

Add the per school tv revenue of a Big East basketball only school (even one with multiple titles) to the tv revenue of a good AAC football school. The result will be a lot less than a full ACC share. Now tell me why UConn (or Nova for that matter) should get more.
Basketball success does not translate to outsize tv value.

UConn hoop would take a immediate hit if they went to the ACC. Just like us. Just like Pitt. Look how UConn did when they moved to the AAC
Think part of that was transitioning away from Calhoun which they’ve now done successfully. We were also hit with probation after joining. I’m not going to spend time talking up UConn but they’ve got the rings to earn some benefit of the doubt imo. Think they’re better than Virginia at the least

The ACC already has one New England based school that no one cares about. Being nice here, I would say it’s not a sound strategy to add a second that still doesn’t deliver the Boston market because it doesn’t appear Boston in general gives a crap about CFB. It makes zero sense.

Yes UCONN has a good basketball program. But that doesn’t drive the bus here and by adding them you’re only further saturating a region that already struggles to provide recruits to the P5 schools that physically are there. Not to mention their debt issues. Not to mention they couldn’t hack it in the AAC and the program has been crap or mediocre in recent years. 2 seasons with more than 3 wins in the last 10 in non P5 conferences.

The ACC already has one New England based school that no one cares about. Being nice here, I would say it’s not a sound strategy to add a second that still doesn’t deliver the Boston market because it doesn’t appear Boston in general gives a crap about CFB. It makes zero sense.

Yes UCONN has a good basketball program. But that doesn’t drive the bus here and by adding them you’re only further saturating a region that already struggles to provide recruits to the P5 schools that physically are there. Not to mention their debt issues. Not to mention they couldn’t hack it in the AAC and the program has been crap or mediocre in recent years. 2 seasons with more than 3 wins in the last 10 in non P5 conferences.
CORRECT.

IT is almost 100% about football, specifically about TV viewers for football. Satynfrod brings none of its own. Styrabofrd vs. SC or ND or Oregon or Washington or even Utah or AZ St has numbers, but Stanford does not itself bring them. That's why I was really hoping the ACC could bing in a 6 Pac. But just Stanford and Cal? That's a money loser for the ACC,a nd we already are so far behind that the league is in danger of getting Pac-ed.

You’re talking about the current situation driven by linear tv. And you support a team that will probably be leaving.

This gravy train is going to be reduced.

Is it that bad to have a team that represents what will be the third largest DMA within the decade and is flush with cash for support of the football team in spades? Two others from NoCal, one of which has a portion of its operating budget from its $40bn endowment that supersedes most total endowments from ACC schools?

UConn can kick rocks.

Again, if this was a serious conference, the HQ wouldn’t be in Greensboro or Charlotte.
You mean like how if the SEC were a serious conference its headquarters would not be in Birmingham? How stuck in a many decades-lost past are you? What matters are TV numbers for football (about 90%) and for basketball (about 10%). It does not matter one teensy little bit where the league office is located. If the ACC had PSU rather than BC and SoCar rather than Wake, the league office could be in Pittsboro and the league would not be in any danger of losing members because the football TV would be much higher, resulting in a much bigger TV deal.

You mean like how if the SEC were a serious conference its headquarters would not be in Birmingham? How stuck in a many decades-lost past are you? What matters are TV numbers for football (about 90%) and for basketball (about 10%). It does not matter one teensy little bit where the league office is located. If the ACC had PSU rather than BC and SoCar rather than Wake, the league office could be in Pittsboro and the league would not be in any danger of losing members because the football TV would be much higher, resulting in a much bigger TV deal.
Not a bad idea.

Swap BC for PSU and Wake for USC East

IT is almost 100% about football, specifically about TV viewers for football. Satynfrod brings none of its own. Styrabofrd vs. SC or ND or Oregon or Washington or even Utah or AZ St has numbers, but Stanford does not itself bring them. That's why I was really hoping the ACC could bing in a 6 Pac. But just Stanford and Cal? That's a money loser for the ACC,a nd we already are so far behind that the league is in danger of getting Pac-ed.

Do I need to re-post my facts from the other day for you. Stanford has more football viewership on avg than you guys do. You play ND, Clemson and even South Carolina. Stanford still avgs like 600k per game than you for the last 13 years. So time to stop pushing this false narrative. Do I want Stanford, not sure I care one way or the other. But historically people watch their games. If you’re claiming they have no viewership then what’s that say about your viewership.

Do I need to re-post my facts from the other day for you. Stanford has more football viewership on avg than you guys do. You play ND, Clemson and even South Carolina. Stanford still avgs like 600k per game than you for the last 13 years. So time to stop pushing this false narrative. Do I want Stanford, not sure I care one way or the other. But historically people watch their games. If you’re claiming they have no viewership then what’s that say about your viewership.
The only issue with Stanford is the travel and the fact they likely have no logical travel partners at this point. Other than that they completely fit the ACC profile. This isn’t UCONN or UMASS or Temple discussions again here.

Why on earth would we add a football program that couldn’t hack it in the AAC which is also in a small market and that no one in the tri state area really cares about? Yeah let’s legitimize them to further dilute the NE recruiting waters.

And this is a realignment discussion on the FB board so I don’t want to hear about BB.
I’m not endorsing it, but if you add Stanford and UCONN to women’s hoops, that major. Womens basketball is a sleeping giant for tv revenue. Ten million watched Iowa and LSU last year.

The only issue with Stanford is the travel and the fact they likely have no logical travel partners at this point. Other than that they completely fit the ACC profile. This isn’t UCONN or UMASS or Temple discussions again here.

Exactly. They’d be in the upper half of viewership in the ACC. Would it be that high without some of their historic rivalries? Maybe not but even if there was a drop it would still put them in the middle of the ACC. Bigger issue is what you said, which then kind of necessitates bringing on more than just Stanford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom