ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment | Page 292 | Syracusefan.com

ACC, PAC-12, and BIG alliance / conference realignment

Glad to know you can read minds.

Wasn't the same said about Rutgers? That kids would want to go there to compete against the best and they never had to leave home to do it? The only thing that happened was that their backyard got raided more. For SMU, it opens up Texas even more to the ACC. The same thing is on the table for SMU.
Well if they suck, that gives us another win each time we play them. So win win!

Yeah I hardly care. I hope all the malcontents leave ASAP.

This is what I don't get. There is a path to leave. If you can, go right ahead.

SMU's alums just said they basically passed a hat around and got enough to cover almost a decade of no revenue from the ACC. Clemson and FSU are much more storied than SMU, so I'm assuming they can do the same with the early break and tv money to be covered... right? RIGHT?

No one is stopping them but themselves. They are doing the "hold me back" of sports fights that aren't really fights.

Glad to know you can read minds.

Wasn't the same said about Rutgers? That kids would want to go there to compete against the best and they never had to leave home to do it? The only thing that happened was that their backyard got raided more. For SMU, it opens up Texas even more to the ACC. The same thing is on the table for SMU.

Curious what would you have done differently to avoid what happened to the Pac 12 with that current state of the ACC and knowing who wants out? Pay them what they want so they stay which would make the rest of the league basically subservient?

Well if they suck, that gives us another win each time we play them. So win win!

Yeah them sucking is definitely the best scenario. There is no way they move the dial upwards and the ACC honestly is pretty much entrenched in its current status even if it was stronger yesterday its in the exact same position it was relative to every other conference.

I'll pass on the attitude going around of... 'Yeah now Stanford can recruit the East coast become a top 10 program and we can watch Justin Lamson come to the Dome and beat us hurrah'...

I'll just tack on that professionally- travel is much more commonplace today. Whether you work remote or in an office many of us travel throughout the year even if just domestically. D1 level Athletes do so prior to college too for events often on a regular basis.
Maybe they can play via zoom

Maybe they can play via zoom
??

That wasn't my point. Just saying travel is much more commonplace in the professional world now. So it's not like this kind of travel is unique.

Mmmmhmmmm.

Quoting the great philosopher, Rasheed Wallace, "As long as somebody 'CTC,' at the end of the day I'm with them. For all you that don't know what CTC means, that's 'Cut The Check."

Y'all can go. Just cut the check for leaving early, set up the direct deposit for the tv money and we'll send our band there to send you off.

Y'all are one Saban retirement away from Dabo jumping and y'all convincing yourself that you have the next Dabo on staff.

I really enjoy your posts GBO. I really like Clemson fans. But y'all keep talking like you're Regina George in Mean Girls and you aren't even Gretchen Weiners.
Dang dude I thought we were boys...

I'm just relaying to you guys what I read and hear from our insiders. Ideally, we don't leave, the conference goes back to being just Atlantic coast and all is well. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen. It stinks because I grew up watching the ACC and Big East and now some of the rivalries are gone. The worst thing that could have ever happened was giving the conferences their own media rights. This would have been so much better if every schools pulled from the same pot.

Last edited:
Welcome to Stanford, Cal and SMU. It isn’t a great solution but it was the best remaining option and I am glad the ACC took it.

Want to talk about scheduling a bit. With 18 schools for basketball, the ACC finally gets away from that odd number of schools and the problem of 1 ACC team having the weekind off each week during conference play. That is nice. Probably will keep the existing scheduling model and go from 20 to 22 basketball games in conference. Bad news for schools that like to play at Syracuse OOC to make some coin.

For football, there are of course 17 schools in the league. The easiest option seems to be to have 2 rivals each team plays every year. That leaves 14 other schools. Play 7 one year and the other the next year.

This brings the ACC to 9 conference games, which is controversial. But it is by far the best way to retain key rivalries and play everyone regularly. My guess is that all the conferences end up having to do this and college football expands to a 13 game regular season to allow some cupcake games against FCS teams and retention of traditional annual OOC games.

The B1G didn’t do this, which given how incompetent they have been at making decisions, makes me confident this is the way to go.

The ACC could also go with 4 annual rivals and then rotate through the 12 schools not played annually by playing 4 each year. So you play everyone in the conference at least once every 3 years.

That solution only requires 8 conference games a year and will probably by chosen based on that. But no one is going to want to be a rival for Stanford, Cal and SMU except for Stanford, Cal and SMU.
Here’s what I think will happen with scheduling
FB (2+7/7) BB 3(2x)+14(1x) = 20
Notre Dame (Cal/Stanford + 5)
Boston College (SU PITT)
Syracuse (BC PITT)
Pittsburgh (BC SU)
Louisville (VT MIAMI)
Virginia (VT UNC)
Virginia Tech (UVA UL)
North Carolina (UVA NCST)
Duke (WF GT)
NC State (UNC CLEMSON)
Wake Forest (DUKE GT)
Clemson (NCST FSU)
Georgia Tech (DUKE WF)
Florida St (CLEMSON MIAMI)
Miami (UL FSU)
SMU (CAL STANFORD)
Stanford (CAL SMU)
California (STANFORD SMU)

Yeah them sucking is definitely the best scenario. There is no way they move the dial upwards and the ACC honestly is pretty much entrenched in its current status even if it was stronger yesterday its in the exact same position it was relative to every other conference.

I'll pass on the attitude going around of... 'Yeah now Stanford can recruit the East coast become a top 10 program and we can watch Justin Lamson come to the Dome and beat us hurrah'...
Maybe Justin is a genius. He gets to play in the dome and still plays for his dream school. Those Stanford students are really smart.

F48w8UhXkAAQ_r1
Translation:

Akademiks is more of a hoby for us Seminoles so any schools who thinks lernin’ is that impotent makes us nervus.

And, to be honest, we don’t know what SMU stands for or where it is.

Do they play football? ‘Cause that is what matters.

So we vote “No”.

I'm just relaying to you guys what I read and hear from our insiders. Ideally, we don't leave, the conference goes back to being just Atlantic coast and all is well. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen. It stinks because I grew up watching the ACC and Big East and the some of the rivalries are gone. The worst thing that could have ever happened was the giving the conferences their own media rights. This would have been so much better if every schools pulled from the same pot.

The sad part for both you guys and FSU is that when yall leave- if cfb isn't already broken even more, you will get potentially better TV money but then you also are a boon to the teams of whichever super conference you join. 12 team playoffs are cool and all but it's still gonna be a 2-3 team race and I don't see either of yall breaking through instead dealing with a much more difficult schedule and Bama, UGA, OSU, UM, LSU/Auburn getting richer and more dominant.

I'm just relaying to you guys what I read and hear from our insiders. Ideally, we don't leave, the conference goes back to being just Atlantic coast and all is well. Unfortunately that isn't going to happen. It stinks because I grew up watching the ACC and Big East and the some of the rivalries are gone. The worst thing that could have ever happened was the giving the conferences their own media rights. This would have been so much better if every schools pulled from the same pot.

Haha, we are, we are!

I appreciate the intel, of course.

My whole thing with all of this is there are mechanisms to get out, it just is a lot of money... a lot. And it will always be a lot. You want to try to say it's illegal? Well, that will also cost you a lot of money to try to win in court and it probably won't happen.

In five years, let's say, there will be a new world order on the media landscape. ESPN may be owned by Apple or Amazon, who knows what cable will look like, what DTC will look like etc. ACC may not be a bad home.

Hopefully by then hover boards are finally here because I've been pissed about them not being available since BTTF 2 came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom