ACC Roster Rankings Post NBA Declaration | Syracusefan.com

ACC Roster Rankings Post NBA Declaration

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Since I have returned from vacation and initial draft declarations have been made, I thought now was a good time to look at the conference as a whole. Next year could be rough for us as we don't have as much talent as the rest of the league returning or coming in. Duke/Miam/VPI/Louisville/UNC all have top 15 recruiting classes nationally. We have the 11th best recruiting class in the conference according to 247. As we sit right now I think best case scenario next year we are a bubble team. Worst case is our first losing season in 45 years or whatever it sits at.

1. Louisville-talent returning even if Mitchell leaves for good. 4 freshman at least 4*
2. Duke- Bring back Allen/Bolden and most likely adding Duval. 4 freshman at least 4*
3. UNC- Berry/Maye/Williams/Woods and brings in a top 15 recruiting class
4. Miami-Return Brown/Newton and has a top 10 class. 3 freshman at least 4*
5. Notre Dame- Farrell and Colson return. They add a top 50 player in DJ Harvey
6. VPI-Bibbs and Robinson return to go along with a top 15 recruiting class
7. Virginia-Return Guy/Jerome/Wilkins/Hall and add Grad transfer Nigel Johnson
8. Georgia Tech- Return Lammers/Okogie/Jackson who combined to average 40ppg last year
9. Wake Forest-Lost John Collins, but signed top 30 player Chaundee Brown to team w/Bryant Crawford
10.Syracuse- Battle/Thompson return
11. NC State
12. FSU
13. BC
14. Clemson
15. Pitt

Since I have returned from vacation and initial draft declarations have been made, I thought now was a good time to look at the conference as a whole. Next year could be rough for us as we don't have as much talent as the rest of the league returning or coming in. Duke/Miam/VPI/Louisville/UNC all have top 15 recruiting classes nationally. We have the 11th best recruiting class in the conference according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. As we sit right now I think best case scenario next year we are a bubble team. Worst case is our first losing season in 45 years or whatever it sits at.

1. Louisville-talent returning even if Mitchell leaves for good. 4 freshman at least 4*
2. Duke- Bring back Allen/Bolden and most likely adding Duval. 4 freshman at least 4*
8. Georgia Tech- Return Lammers/Okogie/Jackson who combined to average 40ppg last year
9. Wake Forest-Lost John Collins, but signed top 30 player Chaundee Brown to team w/Bryant Crawford
11. NC State
12. FSU
13. BC
14. Clemson
15. Pitt

I think the only positive I can take from this list, is that outside of Duval, and maybe Mitchell, (perhaps Lonnie...but I want to see him play college ball first), Battle might be the best player on this list. Let's hope he plays like that, because we are going to really need him to!

Looks about right. Hate to say it but...If we miss on Tucker and unless Brissett turns out to be a Moten like surprise...looks like it could well be a historically poor season.
Even if Brissett exceeds expectation that could happen.

These things work both ways. Last year White, Battle, and Thompson all exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately Howard and Coleman (injury) and Roberson went the other way.

When you have guys exceed, you always hope they do so along with the expected improvements of others, that's when you have great seasons. Otherwise it can feel like you "wasted" that player's great year.

Not sure why you think it's funny. They return everyone besides Collins. They are better than us right now. Duke/FSU/Tech/VPI are all still recruiting as well.

Collins was the train that made Wake go last season. They'll miss his presence.

Not sold on Virginia. Thought that if Bennett was going to leave, he would have done so this offseason when offered the Indiana and Illinois gig which is a bad job at the moment.

It's probably worth noting that Virginia will have two RS frosh on the active roster. Both were borderline Top 100/4 star prospects, depending on which service you viewed. Jay Huff and DeAndre Hunter were both part of the touted 2016 recruiting class. I suspect they were factors in the Shayok and Reuter transfers.

2014-15 - 8th
2015-16 - 10th
2016-17 - 9th

That's our record in the ACC the last three years and these were better teams than we will likely have this year. SU basketball is in decline.

Since I have returned from vacation and initial draft declarations have been made, I thought now was a good time to look at the conference as a whole. Next year could be rough for us as we don't have as much talent as the rest of the league returning or coming in. Duke/Miam/VPI/Louisville/UNC all have top 15 recruiting classes nationally. We have the 11th best recruiting class in the conference according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. As we sit right now I think best case scenario next year we are a bubble team. Worst case is our first losing season in 45 years or whatever it sits at.

11. NC State
12. FSU
13. BC
14. Clemson
15. Pitt

That's fine, Battle's better than every player on that roster and it's going to show.

Not sure why you think it's funny. They return everyone besides Collins. They are better than us right now. Duke/FSU/Tech/VPI are all still recruiting as well.

Collins was their whole team last year.

Collins was their whole team last year.

Disagree. Our fans think Battle is Michael Jordan and Bryant Crawfords per 40 min stats his first 2 years are better than Battles across the board his freshman year. Crawford is ranked just below him on DraftExpress. I did a lot of research on this because I was interested to see where we fall.
If nothing changes this might be our worst roster ever.

We need Moyer or Brissett to surprise or I think it's a long year.

Disagree. Our fans think Battle is Michael Jordan and Bryant Crawfords per 40 min stats his first 2 years are better than Battles across the board his freshman year. Crawford is ranked just below him on DraftExpress. I did a lot of research on this because I was interested to see where we fall.

We don't think Battle is Mj, as our roster stands right now, he is going to have to be for this team to have any chance of being good.

Good work on this. Can't really argue with those rankings. Humbling...ugh.

Good work on this. Can't really argue with those rankings. Humbling...ugh.

upload_2017-4-27_22-49-7.jpeg

That's fine, Battle's better than every player on that roster and it's going to show.
Battle didn't make all-ACC freshman team.

Please don't make this argument. Battle is a nice player he isn't one of the top 10 players in the ACC until he shows it.

Please don't make this argument. Battle is a nice player he isn't one of the top 10 players in the ACC until he shows it.

He's starting to get the year two FH hype. At least Battle did some great things last year but his hype is getting to prett high levels this off season.

He's starting to get the year two FH hype. At least Battle did some great things last year but his hype is getting to prett high levels this off season.
Battle is a legit NBA prospect.
He is likely gone after next year.
Cuse0307 is right our fanbase is overrating him out of our necessity.

Battle will be the opponents primary focus. He will be good unlike FH but he isn't Kobe or MJ.

FH was all hope he would develop. Battle was a top 30 recruit.

Battle is a legit NBA prospect.
He is likely gone after next year.
Cuse0307 is right our fanbase is overrating him out of our necessity.

Battle will be the opponents primary focus. He will be good unlike FH but he isn't Kobe or MJ.

FH was all hope he would develop. Battle was a top 30 recruit.

Of course, don't disagree with anything you said about Battle in this post. But the hype with Frank last year at this time was out of control, talks of leaving and more.

Depressing to look at that, and think we may only be able to jump to 9th. We could pull off 7th, or 8th. Though we could pull off 11th, or 12th.

I'm going with 8th, and we sneak in the Tourney. The Freshmen surprise, and we should add two more to the squad.

Battle takes over like Lydon should have this year. Not hating on Tyler, but Battle has the killer instinct to put the team on his shoulders when needed.

Last edited:

Just very confident after what I saw against duke and UL. I think there will be a significant sophomore leap now that the offense won't be centered on pounding the ball around the perimeter and finding White with 2 guys on him with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Edit: I don't expect him to be Kobe. I don't think he'll be scoring 22 a game and leading us to a 25 win season. I do expect him to be our best offensive weapon since Rak though. I think he's got the tools, he just needs a little outside help getting the other teams attention briefly off him. I think Thompson and god willing Tucker can do that.

FH didn't play with the confidence and charisma of a stud against top 10 teams his freshman year. We don't win against Duke without Battle in the 2nd half. God only knows what would've happened out there at the Yum that day with a mediocre 2 as well.