ACC Roster Rankings Post NBA Declaration | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Roster Rankings Post NBA Declaration

Just very confident after what I saw against duke and UL. I think there will be a significant sophomore leap now that the offense won't be centered on pounding the ball around the perimeter and finding White with 2 guys on him with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Edit: I don't expect him to be Kobe. I don't think he'll be scoring 22 a game and leading us to a 25 win season. I do expect him to be our best offensive weapon since Rak though. I think he's got the tools, he just needs a little outside help getting the other teams attention briefly off him. I think Thompson and god willing Tucker can do that.
The offense isn't changing.

Battle will get the focus of the opponents best defenders.

He was the 3rd option last year. I don't see him as much better than Andrew White last year.

Our offense is so easy to defend and when we have several non-scoring options its going to make it harder for our top offensive options.

I don't see Battle doing what Michael Gbinije did 2 years ago even.

We can't put ridiculous expectations on this team. It needs Tucker to be middle of the conference talent wise.

FH didn't play with the confidence and charisma of a stud against top 10 teams his freshman year. We don't win against Duke without Battle in the 2nd half. God only knows what would've happened out there at the Yum that day with a mediocre 2 as well.
FH barely played as a freshman.
He got under 10MPG.
G and Cooney played the whole games.

Battle played well against Louisville because the Cardinals keyed on AWIII/Lydon/Gillon. When your the 4th option defenses don't put their best on you defensively.

This team has major talent issues right now. FrankHoward last year is a major issue right now.

Just very confident after what I saw against duke and UL. I think there will be a significant sophomore leap now that the offense won't be centered on pounding the ball around the perimeter and finding White with 2 guys on him with 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Edit: I don't expect him to be Kobe. I don't think he'll be scoring 22 a game and leading us to a 25 win season. I do expect him to be our best offensive weapon since Rak though. I think he's got the tools, he just needs a little outside help getting the other teams attention briefly off him. I think Thompson and god willing Tucker can do that.

What changes do you think will happen to make the offense more effective? I worry Battle is not going to be very efficient due to the concentration of defenses with him being probably the only dynamic perimeter threat on offense and how we'll be asking him to do so much.

We're losing a guy who made the most 3's in a season in school history and Lydon who was a legitimate scoring threat teams had to account for and as of now, and I know we'll still make more additions, don't really have any natural replacements for that production/skill set.

Depressing to look at that, and think we may only be able to jump to 9th. We could pull off 7th, or 8th. Though we could pull off 11th, or 12th.

I'm going with 8th, and we sneak in the Tourney. The Freshmen surprise, and we should add two more to the squad.

Battle takes over like Lydon should have this year. Not hating on Tyler, but Battle has the killer instinct to put the team on his shoulders when needed.

Killer instinct is one thing. Efficiency is another. Battle wasn't as efficient as Lydon as a freshman(I know they play different positions). I think he could average 15-18 PPG, but I think it comes on 40% shooting overall. I also worry about his durability.

I do think TT has a chance to be a really good offensive player. I worry about his defense.

After those 2 I have no clue what to expect/project. I think the only way we have a good season is if we are super elite defensively like 2013. The issue is in 2013 we basically had no newcomers getting big minutes. It was a veteran team. This team is all freshman/sophomores.

I almost put NC State ahead of us because they return everyone except Smith. FSU is still recruiting top level talent as is Tech and VPI. I think 12th is our floor like you said. I would put our ceiling as 8th or 9th.

Again we have another year where we have ZERO shot at beating Carolina or Louisville. This drives me nuts. We are turning into their little brother.

Wake also has Mitoglu, Keyshawn Woods (13ppg) and Brandon Childress, who I think is going to make pretty nice jump this year.

I'm not sold on Carolina being at/near the top if Bradley stays in the draft. Really their only proven players will be Berry & Pinson (assuming he returns). Maye looked pretty good down the stretch, but how will he transition from role player to potentially the #3 option? K. Williams has been a disappointment to this point. Other than Bradley, their 2016 freshmen were underwhelming. Their 2017 class has quantity, but outside of Felton (and maybe Brooks), they'll need some time before they're ACC ready. They're thin on frontline experience, and are looking at a grad transfer from William & Mary who averaged 10 & 6 in the CAA to be their starting 5 if Bradley doesn't return.

I think they're still a tournament team, but not #3.

I'm not sold on Carolina being at/near the top if Bradley stays in the draft. Really their only proven players will be Berry & Pinson (assuming he returns). Maye looked pretty good down the stretch, but how will he transition from role player to potentially the #3 option? K. Williams has been a disappointment to this point. Other than Bradley, their 2016 freshmen were underwhelming. Their 2017 class has quantity, but outside of Felton (and maybe Brooks), they'll need some time before they're ACC ready. They're thin on frontline experience, and are looking at a grad transfer from William & Mary who averaged 10 & 6 in the CAA to be their starting 5 if Bradley doesn't return.

I think they're still a tournament team, but not #3.

That's fair. I may have given them the benefit of doubt because of who they are. I do think Miami is going to be sneaky good this year. Possibly the best backcourt in the conference

That's fair. I may have given them the benefit of doubt because of who they are. I do think Miami is going to be sneaky good this year. Possibly the best backcourt in the conference

Agreed, and I'm a big Larranaga fan...they'll be a tough out every year as long as he's there IMO.

Killer instinct is one thing. Efficiency is another. Battle wasn't as efficient as Lydon as a freshman(I know they play different positions). I think he could average 15-18 PPG, but I think it comes on 40% shooting overall. I also worry about his durability.

I do think TT has a chance to be a really good offensive player. I worry about his defense.

After those 2 I have no clue what to expect/project. I think the only way we have a good season is if we are super elite defensively like 2013. The issue is in 2013 we basically had no newcomers getting big minutes. It was a veteran team. This team is all freshman/sophomores.

I almost put NC State ahead of us because they return everyone except Smith. FSU is still recruiting top level talent as is Tech and VPI. I think 12th is our floor like you said. I would put our ceiling as 8th or 9th.

Again we have another year where we have ZERO shot at beating Carolina or Louisville. This drives me nuts. We are turning into their little brother.

Battle's durability with that foot thing is a concern but his efficiency is not far off of Lydon's. Battle's eFG% was 53.6% vs. Lydon's 54.8 last season (57.2% his frosh season).

TT's defense could determine the team's ceiling because I agree, the defense will have to be stellar to win games this season.

I'd put our ceiling higher, probably around 6th.

Battle's durability with that foot thing is a concern but his efficiency is not far off of Lydon's. Battle's eFG% was 53.6% vs. Lydon's 54.8 last season (57.2% his frosh season).

TT's defense could determine the team's ceiling because I agree, the defense will have to be stellar to win games this season.

I'd put our ceiling higher, probably around 6th.

6th only if we add two quality players during the offseason, otherwise we are a lot closer to the bottom.

6th only if we add two quality players during the offseason, otherwise we are a lot closer to the bottom.

Brissett and Moyer will determine that, I think. If either plays to their ranking, we're not going to be terrible.

Brissett and Moyer will determine that, I think. If either plays to their ranking, we're not going to be terrible.

We still need a solid pg, and another sf, we don't know what Brissett or Moyer are right now.

I understand what you mean and they could be good, but I think other teams are signing players even better. This is why it's important we step up our recruiting game.

I understand what you mean and they could be good, but I think other teams are signing players even better. This is why it's important we step up our recruiting game.

Our recruiting definitely needs to improve but we also have JB. He wins with 'program players' better than most coaches. He doesn't always need the best talent on the court.

Yup, look at what we have lost over the past two years, its staggering, and outside of Battle, who is a stud, and TT who is a solid player, we haven't replaced them. Tucker is a huge recruit for us. I know a lot of people like Moyer and Brissett, but they are unknowns right now.

We still need a solid pg, and another sf, we don't know what Brissett or Moyer are right now.

I've written off getting a solid PG. If we have to go the grad transfer route, which looks to be the case, I'd rather pass. Tucker at SF would make a world of difference.

I've written off getting a solid PG. If we have to go the grad transfer route, which looks to be the case, I'd rather pass. Tucker at SF would make a world of difference.

If we don't get a pg, its a huge problem, I have no faith in Howard, and we have no one to back him up right now, we need someone.

If we don't get a pg, its a huge problem, I have no faith in Howard, and we have no one to back him up right now, we need someone.

I think the team has to win with defense because no PG could come in and make the offense that much better. This is why I'd rather pass on a grad transfer PG unless he's strictly for depth; I don't think grad transfers are committed enough on defense to learn the zone the way they need to to play 25+ minutes.

I think the team has to win with defense because no PG could come in and make the offense that much better. This is why I'd rather pass on a grad transfer PG unless he's strictly for depth; I don't think grad transfers are committed enough on defense to learn the zone the way they need to.

I'm not saying there is another Gillon out there, but we need someone who can give us some of what he did, but even if we don't we strictly need one for depth, we can't go into the season without someone backing up Howard.

I'm not saying there is another Gillon out there, but we need someone who can give us some of what he did, but even if we don't we strictly need one for depth, we can't go into the season without someone backing up Howard.

I'm okay with giving Howard Washington a shot. He's bigger than Gillon was and he's a good shooter. His talent level is probably about the same as the guards we'd be looking at as grad transfers, they'd obviously just have a big experience advantage. But if we're going to suck, we might as well get the young guard some court time in the process.

I'm okay with giving Howard Washington a shot. He's bigger than Gillon was and he's a good shooter. His talent level is probably about the same as the guards we'd be looking at as grad transfers, they'd obviously just have a big experience advantage. But if we're going to suck, we might as well get the young guard some court time in the process.

I'm not sure if Washington will be ready next year, I still want another pg, we don't have to suck next year, if we land Tucker, and we get a better pg.

I'm afraid you are getting court time for a young guard who JB will recruit over the first chance he gets. Color me unconvinced that HW will be an ACC caliber player. Hope I am wrong.

I'm afraid you are getting court time for a young guard who JB will recruit over the first chance he gets. Color me unconvinced that HW will be an ACC caliber player. Hope I am wrong.

He's not projected to be the starting PG at any point in his career. That's fair, but experience doesn't hurt. He wasn't recruited to sit on the bench for 4 years.

Syracuse doesn't recruit guys the coaching staff doesn't think can play against ACC caliber talent. 5 other ACC schools thought he was ACC caliber.

Since I have returned from vacation and initial draft declarations have been made, I thought now was a good time to look at the conference as a whole. Next year could be rough for us as we don't have as much talent as the rest of the league returning or coming in. Duke/Miam/VPI/Louisville/UNC all have top 15 recruiting classes nationally. We have the 11th best recruiting class in the conference according to At their request, this network is being blocked from this site.. As we sit right now I think best case scenario next year we are a bubble team. Worst case is our first losing season in 45 years or whatever it sits at.

1. Louisville-talent returning even if Mitchell leaves for good. 4 freshman at least 4*
2. Duke- Bring back Allen/Bolden and most likely adding Duval. 4 freshman at least 4*
3. UNC- Berry/Maye/Williams/Woods and brings in a top 15 recruiting class
4. Miami-Return Brown/Newton and has a top 10 class. 3 freshman at least 4*
5. Notre Dame- Farrell and Colson return. They add a top 50 player in DJ Harvey
6. VPI-Bibbs and Robinson return to go along with a top 15 recruiting class
7. Virginia-Return Guy/Jerome/Wilkins/Hall and add Grad transfer Nigel Johnson
8. Georgia Tech- Return Lammers/Okogie/Jackson who combined to average 40ppg last year
9. Wake Forest-Lost John Collins, but signed top 30 player Chaundee Brown to team w/Bryant Crawford
10.Syracuse- Battle/Thompson return
11. NC State
12. FSU
13. BC
14. Clemson
15. Pitt

Signing Tucker would move us ahead of Wake and about even or maybe ahead of Tech. If Tech signs Tucker we pretty much are cemented in the current spot unless we find shooting elsewhere that doesn't compromise our defense and I think Tech would be a guaranteed tournament team.

Miami will be top 15 all year top 2 or 3 in the ACC. I'd take Brown/Newton/Walker over almost trio in America