ACC Roster Rankings Post NBA Declaration | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Roster Rankings Post NBA Declaration

Waiting to see how things shake out, but Tony Bradley staying in the draft severely hurts UNC's frontcourt. Waiting to see if MJ Walker signs with VPI and we can get another guard before I update my roster rankings.

Waiting to see how things shake out, but Tony Bradley staying in the draft severely hurts UNC's frontcourt. Waiting to see if MJ Walker signs with VPI and we can get another guard before I update my roster rankings.
With the addition of Dolezaj how would you rate our talent? I think it would be NCAA tournament worthy if we can get another point guard.

With the addition of Dolezaj how would you rate our talent? I think it would be NCAA tournament worthy if we can get another point guard.

Just ball parking it, but we should be a tournament team. Especially if we sign Thorpe.

Would people rather have Frank Howard or Tremont Waters?

Chris Carlson beat me to the punch. Has us eight which I agree with along with pretty much the rest of the list...

Just ball parking it, but we should be a tournament team. Especially if we sign Thorpe.

Thorpe would completely change the trajectory of next season, in my opinion. Would be absolutely huge.

I still think we are a borderline tournament team, adding a pg would give us a boost.

Would people rather have Frank Howard or Tremont Waters?
Howard. And it's not close. He is gifted. His problem is his head. We have had tons of PG who look bad as underclassmen. Don't close the door yet. Jimmy B certainly hasn't.

Thorpe or no Thorpe, look for Frank yo start at PG this year. Our bench will be Thorpe Brissett and a little Chukwu . That's as deep he will go

Waters.
Silly. An undersized PG who doesn't know the system as is a basket case and a lunatic vs a taller and much more experienced/older version of him.

Howard wins.

Silly. An undersized PG who doesn't know the system as is a basket case and a lunatic vs a taller and much more experienced/older version of him.

Howard wins.

Basket case and lunatic, you say? And you're talking about the OTHER guy? Interesting. LOL at "undersized PG." I don't care about the undersized part, I care about the "PG" part. I want someone who can handle the ball, shoot, and penetrate like a competent D-1 PG. Height at PG doesn't matter when you don't do anything with it anyway.

On and off the court, Howard had one of the worst seasons of all time last year. That's why I'd take my chances with the more highly regarded(read:talented) coming out of high school guard. But that's not happening.

Here's hoping that Howard grows, develops, and improves in all aspects and has a much better junior year.

You realize you called the other guy a basket case and he didn't cause us to lose another top 50 recruit as well?

Howard had one of the worst seasons a returning guard ever had last year. He has a lot of growing up and apologizing to his team to do.

He is lucky JB treats his players like pros and isn't on them hard. If we could get Waters today I would advocate for Howard to be gone. The 100% zone defense is the only reason JB likes his potential.

The team became competitive last year when Frank was banished to Siberia on the bench and Gillon was given the keys to the offense.
I'm well aware of Howards issues. He's been a huge disappointment for sure. He's going to quiet alot of people this year. Implying that we would be better off with Waters over Howard is silly. That's not even a debate white frankly.

You are a good poster that I enjoy reading... but the Waters take is insane. Frosh waters would probably be our 4th guard. Frank is our starting 1.

I'm well aware of Howards issues. He's been a huge disappointment for sure. He's going to quiet alot of people this year. Implying that we would be better off with Waters over Howard is silly. That's not even a debate white frankly.

You are a good poster that I enjoy reading... but the Waters take is insane. Frosh waters would probably be our 4th guard. Frank is our starting 1.

It's insane to think a top 50(roughly) freshman PG would play better than a guy who was awful as a starting PG against any team with a pulse last year? How do you figure? Approach 40% from the field, don't turn it over every time you're pressured and play adequate D and you're already way ahead. Cmon.

Hopefully Howard will be way better than last year. Right now, it looks like Cuse's season depends on it.

As far as "he's going to quiet a lot of people"...what is that based on? I mean, I hope so. Let's not act like those "people" don't have a right to question the situation. It's not like he was even so-so last year. He was real, real bad as the starting PG. Maybe he just wasn't ready and in normal past years never would've played so much, so soon and we wouldn't have those memories and would approach his Junior year more optimistically.

Last edited:
Chris Carlson beat me to the punch. Has us eight which I agree with along with pretty much the rest of the list...
My first thought was that we have to be better than eight, but then I looked at your original post and yeah that sounds about right. This league is going to be so stacked again. You can be the 8th best team in the ACC and still top 35 nationally.

We need a PG. Frank Howard is not one. Not yet at least.

Let's say I put aside everything else about Frank last season (off court, boddy language, scowl, poor play ect) this is my main concern. I just didn't see enough to say that Frank is or ever will be a PG. Yes he has some playmaking ability, sees stuff others don't and makes some really nice passes but that doesn't mean he's a PG. He picked up the ball in bad spots, didn't seem to grasp what we were doing on offense, struggled to dribble in traffic and couldn't get by high level guards with the bounce unless we set a screen. Even then he made poor decisions and reads.
I agree with those saying he's showed some potential as a player I just don't think he showed much as a PG. He's more of a slashing playmaking 2G who can't shoot. Not a primary ball handler.
We brought in Washington for depth and future continuity. But we are trying to get Ayala and keeping Thorpe in the picture. So it's not like the staff is sold on Frank being the answer at PG either. I hope he proves me wrong I'm just not comfortable counting on that.

Last edited:

Forget Waters he's being treated as hands off by everyone since getting his release. I get it with that situation and I'm fine not getting involved.

My question is how can you be sure Frank will turn it around. He got some really good off season and preseason reports last year. It didn't come to fruition. I'm not sold he really is a PG. He has some nice physical tools and basketball talent but that's not always enough.

Let's say I put aside everything else about Frank last season (off court, boddy language, scowl, poor play ect) this is my main concern. I just didn't see enough to say that Frank is or ever will be a PG. Yes he has some playmaking ability, sees stuff others don't and makes some really nice passes but that doesn't mean he's a PG. He picked up the ball in bad spots, didn't seem to grasp what we were doing on offense, struggled to dribble in traffic and couldn't get by high level guards with the bounce unless we set a screen. Even then he made poor decisions and reads.
I agree with those saying he's showed some potential as a player I just don't think he showed much as a PG. He's more of a slashing playmaking 2G who can't shoot. Not a primary ball handler.
We brought in Washington for depth and future continuity. But we are trying to get Ayala and keeping Thorpe in the picture. So it's not like the staff is sold on Frank being the answer at PG either. I hope he proves me wrong I'm just not comfortable counting on that.
"He's more of a slashing playmaking 2G", except that he cannot finish.

Yup. Spot on. I just didn't feel like going into as much detail which would've been pretty much my exact sentiments.

"He's more of a slashing playmaking 2G", except that he cannot finish.

Potentially is what I should have said. Yes that was another issue he had.

Yes I know exactly what he has done.
No you don't . Been reading your ridiculous posts for a year now. Panic mode 24/7. Frank was a mess and he did play a small role is losing a recruit. Small.

But Trust me, you do not know what Frank has been up to. He's been fantastic and is committed to turning his time around here. This is coming from the staff.

No I'm not an insider but on this point trust me.

Yup. Spot on. I just didn't feel like going into as much detail which would've been pretty much my exact sentiments.
This really isn't spot on. The only guy who matters is sold on Frank. Of course that could change.

Basket case and lunatic, you say? And you're talking about the OTHER guy? Interesting. LOL at "undersized PG." I don't care about the undersized part, I care about the "PG" part. I want someone who can handle the ball, shoot, and penetrate like a competent D-1 PG. Height at PG doesn't matter when you don't do anything with it anyway.

On and off the court, Howard had one of the worst seasons of all time last year. That's why I'd take my chances with the more highly regarded(read:talented) coming out of high school guard. But that's not happening.

Here's hoping that Howard grows, develops, and improves in all aspects and has a much better junior year.

On the court wise, a consistent massive exaggeration on this forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom