ACC Schedule coming: Jan 31, 7 PM | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

ACC Schedule coming: Jan 31, 7 PM

They were 5-4 going into the bye with three last play losses. It’s not like they were non competitive. To that point the team was statistically just a notch below the 2012 and 2018 teams. The only unit they have significant losses is on the DL.

the roster is better than it was at the end of the year. Very favorable front end, Need to close better
I read some of these posters and start thinking in my mind that we were 1-10 last year instead of 2020.

FSU is awful. UVA is mediocre. There is no reason to lose to either at home for a mediocre SU team. We are better than BC, gotta find a way to win that in a game that could be for a Bowl and mean nothing for them. We CAN lose to 4 of those 5 teams but we SHOULDN'T. If we go 3-2 against those teams we are looking at 3-9 this year. We are a better team than that. This should be Dino's 2nd best team.

I don't necessarily disagree but FSUs been awful for 4 years running and were 1-2 and would be 1-3 if we played them in 2020. Not sure we're better then BC if Jurek and Flowers are healthy, Bc was so inept last year offensively that SU couldn't lose even though we didn't play great. Not sure I would count on that again.

I get your point that SU "shouldn't" lose some of those games but save for 2018 we have been. I think SU certainly beat UVA being at home but again coming off a 5-7 record replacing nearly the entire 2 deep on the DL and with a QB who has major issues passing the ball, hard for me to see UVA or BC and especially FSU as games SU "should" win.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily disagree but FSUs been awful for 4 years running and were 1-2 and would be 1-03 if we played them in 2020. Not sure we're better then BC if Jurek and Flowers are healthy, Bc was so inept last year offensively that SU couldn't lose even though we didn't play great. Not sure I would count on that again.

I get your point that SU "shouldn't" lose some of those games but save for 2018 we have been. I think SU certainly beat UVA being at home but again coming off a 5-7 record replacing nearly the entire 2 deep on the DL and with a QB who has major issues passing the ball, hard for me to see UVA or BC and especially FSU as games SU "should" win.
2020 BC barely beat us with those guys in our 1 win season

Look, it’s fine to predict that we’ll win 4-5 games and all that - but we were a FG away in like 4 games. It’s ok to have hope. We were better last year and most of that production comes back.

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.

;)

Louisville is the key game. Virginia beat Louisville 3 of last 4 years and were able to score. Looks like Anae and Beck know how to game plan them. Can our D step up?

Jim Mora is perfect for UConn but we have way too much talent compared to them to lose.

Purdue will be preseason top 25. I'm not counting us out, just leaning towards L.

I'm not sold on Tony Elliott. He struggled against us with Clemson talent.

Wagner should be Sean Tucker celebration day.

That's why Louisville is the key game.

I think they are the difference between 3-2 and 4-1 to start.

I think we take one, possibly two of three vs State, Clemson, ND. Right now it looks tough. But remember, Dabo lost his top assistants after a tough 2021 by their standards. Also, Marcus Freeman is a great recruiter, but is he a good head coach? The bowl game leaves room for doubt.

So say we snag one. Either 4-4 or 5-3.

Pitt, FSU, Wake, BC. Our peers to end the year. We just don't beat Pitt or FSU for whatever reason. Which means what do we do v Wake? I think we steal one against them. I have to think we beat BC and finish 6-6 or 7-5.

We need to beat one of Louisville, Purdue, NC State if we want to make a Bowl. Can't be 3-3 heading into a likely 3-5.

It will be highly disappointing if we lose to any of UConn, UVA, Wagner, FSU, BC.
BC is ranked in some preseason polls and the game is on the road. It doesn’t look like a game we pencil in as a win right now but we might need it to go bowling.

I see NC State, Clemson and ND as top 10 teams. I see Wake as a top 20 team.

BC, Pitt, Purdue all could be ranked and I think it is possible UL even breaks into the top 25.

Not sure I have ever seen a tougher schedule for Syracuse.

BC is ranked in some preseason polls and the game is on the road. It doesn’t look like a game we pencil in as a win right now but we might need it to go bowling.

BC, Pitt, Purdue all could be ranked and I think it is possible UL even breaks into the top 25.

I agree this schedule is tough. But, hey we have some pieces now that give me new hope. If we can be competent to good on the offensive side of the ball, with our defense…. I think we get to 6 wins in a very unexpected way. (Probably some What loss and probably a What win in there somewhere)

If people have BC ranked then they are on crack. They are the worst ACC team on our schedule.

NC State as always is a paper tiger. They were 3-3 vs teams with a pulse last season and played no good teams. They are nowhere near a Top 20 team.

Wake is a decent team but in the 20-30 range.

Pitt will fall hard this season.

If people have BC ranked then they are on crack. They are the worst ACC team on our schedule.

NC State as always is a paper tiger. They were 3-3 vs teams with a pulse last season and played no good teams. They are nowhere near a Top 20 team.

I wish we were a paper tiger

Cue the tough schedule laments. Honestly I don’t think it’s much worse than we usually see.

7 of our opponents are always the same, and UVA isn’t too tough of a crossover opponent.

7 of the first 10 at home, and finishing with BC on the road isn’t exactly a hostile environment.

Having both Purdue and ND on the schedule as OOC games is definitely one tough OOC game too many. But they’re both at home, so that helps.

We just gotta win, the schedule is what it is.

Yeah, how they arrange them doesn't much matter to me, you have to go out and play the games.

There's opportunity for a good start, and if we don't take advantage, that's on us.

People should be happy that the bye is right near the middle, after week 5. That's an advantage we don't usually have. Plus we don't travel to Louisville the week after the bye and for that, I'm thrilled beyond belief.

ND and Purdue in the same season is a tall order for a perennial losing team, but just need to take 1 at home, and then go 3-5 in the ACC to consider it a successful season. If that's too hard, then maybe it's going to be too hard nearly all the time.

I think Virginia is definitely worse than BC. The guys on the ACC preview show last night had BC finishing the regular season at 9-3.
I believe their OOC schedule is awful, which helps, but at least some think they will be good.

Here are the polls I was able to find:

247:

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

NCAA:

ND 5
Clemson 7
Wake 10
Pitt 13
NC State 15

ESPN...

ND 6
NC State 8
Clemson 11
Wake 14

Sporting News...

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

CBS Sports...

ND 7
Clemson 9
Miami 12 (we don't play them)
Wake 17

Athlon...

Way-Too-Early Top 25 College Football Rankings for 2022

Clemson 4
ND 8
Wake 15
NC State 16
Pitt 19

SI

Clemson 4
Wake 8
ND 9
NC State 19
Purdue 24

Yahoo

Clemson 4
ND 7
Wake 9
NC State 17
Pitt 22

247 Brandon Marcello (suspected by HRE of being a crackhead)

ND 6
Wake 9
Clemson 11
BC 24

I wouldn't put BC in the top 25 either but they are going to have a good team. They have guy who ran for 1000 yards returning at RB, they have the best returning WR in the conference and Jurk is very good too.

Odds look good we will play 5 ranked teams in the regular season.

Have we ever played 5 ranked teams in a regular season before? I suspect the answer is no.

I think Virginia is definitely worse than BC. The guys on the ACC preview show last night had BC finishing the regular season at 9-3.
I believe their OOC schedule is awful, which helps, but at least some think they will be good.

247:

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

NCAA:

ND 5
Clemson 7
Wake 10
Pitt 13
NC State 15

ESPN...

ND 6
NC State 8
Clemson 11
Wake 14

Sporting News...

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

CBS Sports...

ND 7
Clemson 9
Wake 17

Athlon...

Clemson 4
ND 8
Wake 15
NC State 16
Pitt 19

SI

Clemson 4
Wake 8
ND 9
NC State 19
Purdue 24

Yahoo

Clemson 4
ND 7
Wake 9
NC State 17
Pitt 22

ND 6
Wake 9
Clemson 11
BC 24

I wouldn't put BC in the top 25 either but they are going to have a good team. They have guy who ran for 1000 yards returning at RB, they have the best returning WR in the conference and Jurk is very good too.

Have we ever played 5 ranked teams in a regular season before? I suspect the answer is no.
When we play BC, IMO there is a better chance that they are 4-7 than being 6-5. Of the 10 P5 teams we play they have the worst roster. They are better than FSU due to FSU's coaching. UVA will depend on the coaching. Anyone who sees them at 9-3 should be fired on the spot. This is one of their hardest OOC schedules in recent memory, but it is still pretty easy.

BC should beat Rutgers, Maine, UConn, Duke
BC should lose to Clemson, Wake, NC State, Notre Dame
BC has three toss up with 2 on the road at VA Tech, at FSU (who they lost to last season with Jurk), Louisville

They will likely be 5-6 going into our game.

Jurkovec is the NFL Baker Mayfield of college football, Mr Overrated.

If that's too hard, then maybe it's going to be too hard nearly all the time.
Bingo. We completely squandered last year, when the schedule was incredibly manageable and the conference was historically down. This year's schedule is just kinda how it is supposed to be. If we want to be in a P5 conference, then we have to play a P5 schedule. It might have been best to push Purdue to a non-ND year, but there are a lot of ACC teams that play two P5 OOCs in the same season. It happens.

Even if we go 2-2 OOC, that means we need to go 4-4 in conference. If we can't get to .500 in conference in year seven of this head coach, it's just not happening.

Really wish the ACC had used the Covid year to fix the scheduling not make it worse. It makes little sense for both of our Northeast rivals to be away games. Heck I will even take BC on the road again next year. It will make up for having them home the past 3 seasons. They can give us Louisville at home again to make up for the 3 roadies in a row.

If we had a WR like the Pitt kid last year making plays and nothing else we win 2+ more games.. We found a HR RB and did it with a pieced together oline again. How long until we find a HR WR when other teams find one every year it seams.. Wake has 2-3 every yr lately. if we just had three #3 type talents we would have a passing game.. Taj was pretty good but probably really a #2 at best on a better team.

2020 BC barely beat us with those guys in our 1 win season

Look, it’s fine to predict that we’ll win 4-5 games and all that - but we were a FG away in like 4 games. It’s ok to have hope. We were better last year and most of that production comes back.

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.

;)
Not having Dino involved in play calling should be worth 2 games alone. That should also help in getting plays called on time.

247:

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

NCAA:

ND 5
Clemson 7
Wake 10
Pitt 13
NC State 15

ESPN...

ND 6
NC State 8
Clemson 11
Wake 14

Sporting News...

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

CBS Sports...

ND 7
Clemson 9
Wake 17

Athlon...

Clemson 4
ND 8
Wake 15
NC State 16
Pitt 19

SI

Clemson 4
Wake 8
ND 9
NC State 19
Purdue 24

Yahoo

Clemson 4
ND 7
Wake 9
NC State 17
Pitt 22

ND 6
Wake 9
Clemson 11
BC 24

We played 4 teams in the top 25 in Dino's first year. Notre Dame and Pitt were also ranked at one point that season, that's prolly the closest to playing 5 ranked teams.

The reality of super conferences is you're going to play a bunch of tough games every year. You need quality coaching and good roster management.

We played 4 teams in the top 25 in Dino's first year. Notre Dame and Pitt were also ranked at one point that season, that's prolly the closest to playing 5 ranked teams.

The reality of super conferences is you're going to play a bunch of tough games every year. You need quality coaching and good roster management.
Plus, more games look "tough" when your program kinda stinks.

Plus, more games look "tough" when your program kinda stinks.
If this is kinda stinks I would hate to see sucks. Or if we ever went from suck to blow, that would be really bad.

If this is kinda stinks I would hate to see sucks. Or if we ever went from suck to blow, that would be really bad.
We've seen all of those, sadly.

Don't forget the injury bug which has seemed to be our curse for the last ten plus years. Lose a couple of key contributors on the OL or DL and a key cog in the offense, and we could be facing real headwinds at the end of this schedule. Pitt and BC always seem to be rock fights and they may be the difference between a bowl game or aloha for HCDB.

Bingo. We completely squandered last year, when the schedule was incredibly manageable and the conference was historically down. This year's schedule is just kinda how it is supposed to be. If we want to be in a P5 conference, then we have to play a P5 schedule. It might have been best to push Purdue to a non-ND year, but there are a lot of ACC teams that play two P5 OOCs in the same season. It happens.

Even if we go 2-2 OOC, that means we need to go 4-4 in conference. If we can't get to .500 in conference in year seven of this head coach, it's just not happening.
Agree with this. I’m really excited about the changed to the coaching staff. I’m more excited about the next football game than the next hoops game. But as you said, it’s year 7 and he’s been able to revamp the staff a couple times. It’s time for results.

247:

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

NCAA:

ND 5
Clemson 7
Wake 10
Pitt 13
NC State 15

ESPN...

ND 6
NC State 8
Clemson 11
Wake 14

Sporting News...

Clemson 4
ND 5
Wake 11
Pitt 24

CBS Sports...

ND 7
Clemson 9
Wake 17

Athlon...

Clemson 4
ND 8
Wake 15
NC State 16
Pitt 19

SI

Clemson 4
Wake 8
ND 9
NC State 19
Purdue 24

Yahoo

Clemson 4
ND 7
Wake 9
NC State 17
Pitt 22

ND 6
Wake 9
Clemson 11
BC 24

We play 6 teams that are in at least one way too early Top 25 ranking.

We play two consensus Top 10 teams (ND and Clemson), 3 consensus Top 20 teams (NC State, Wake and Pitt) and Purdue was mentioned in one poll at 24.

These polls are fun to look at but should be taken with a grain of salt as no one has seen any of the teams with all of their new players and coaches in action.

Keep in mind, we should be improved, but most every other team on our schedule has also improved.

Enjoy the ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom