Acceptance... | Syracusefan.com

Acceptance...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I accept:

1. Jimmy will be here at least as long as Buddy is here.

2. Jimmy does what he does, no changes will be coming, though I will acknowledge that we are at least trying to get more trey shooters.

3. We will be 100% zone.

4. We cannot rebound out of the zone against any big boys.

5. Recruiting overall is not what it was in BE glory days, even if we are fortunate enough to land IJ, our days of regularly getting multiple top fifty kids every season are behind us.

While maybe getting back to the glory days is too high a standard, we do have enough resources that we should be better than an NIT/bubble team every season.

If there was to be change there would be risk, but this cycle of incessant mediocrity just has to be broken one way or the other. I would love for that to be under Jimmy and to see him go out on top, but that is just an unrealizable fantasy.

The truth is that the game has passed Jimmy by, and that nothing will change here for at least three more seasons.

The game hasn’t passed JB by IMO.
He probably watches more college basketball than any coach in the nation on TV.
He is just stubborn and locked into his ways of thinking. I am not old but when I get old I think I will be similar in that I won’t want to change what I do when it used to work.
The problem with JB is he doesn’t change how we play and unless you have elite talent you can’t be like that.
I have said I think he would do better with all the talent Coach K has wasted since 2013.
He knows how to use talent the problem is we are running stuff that can’t work against teams that give effort because our talent isn’t superior.

He is just stubborn and locked into his ways of thinking. I am not old but when I get old I think I will be similar in that I won’t want to change what I do when it used to work.
The problem with JB is he doesn’t change how we play and unless you have elite talent you can’t be like that.
I have said I think he would do better with all the talent Coach K has wasted since 2013.
He knows how to use talent the problem is we are running stuff that can’t work against teams that give effort because our talent isn’t superior.
Game hasn’t passed JB by, then u say he does not change, plays how he used to play, and cannot win without superior talent, which he can no longer get.

What would be your definition on whether or not the game has passed Jimmy by?

If you continue to do something that used to work and refused to change, I would say that the "Game has passed you by." But that's semantics.

Also the refrain "JB watches more basketball on TV than any coach" is repeated a lot but I've never really seen any evidence to back it up.

If you continue to do something that used to work and refused to change, I would say that the "Game has passed you by." But that's semantics.

Also the refrain "JB watches more basketball on TV than any coach" is repeated a lot but I've never really seen any evidence to back it up.

Well maybe you need to spend more time in JB's living room.

Game hasn’t passed JB by, then u say he does not change, plays how he used to play, and cannot win without superior talent, which he can no longer get.

What would be your definition on whether or not the game has passed Jimmy by?
The game passing somebody by is watching Joe Paterno on the sideline without a headset and literally being a figurehead.
That was in plain view the game had passed him by.
JB has a young family. He goes to the NBA Finals and watches the game.
His problem is he doesn’t care about entertainment he coaches every game like it’s game 7 and doesn’t care if we win 50-49.
He cares about defense and winning.

I accept:

1. Jimmy will be here at least as long as Buddy is here.

2. Jimmy does what he does, no changes will be coming, though I will acknowledge that we are at least trying to get more trey shooters.

3. We will be 100% zone.

4. We cannot rebound out of the zone against any big boys.

5. Recruiting overall is not what it was in BE glory days, even if we are fortunate enough to land IJ, our days of regularly getting multiple top fifty kids every season are behind us.

While maybe getting back to the glory days is too high a standard, we do have enough resources that we should be better than an NIT/bubble team every season.

If there was to be change there would be risk, but this cycle of incessant mediocrity just has to be broken one way or the other. I would love for that to be under Jimmy and to see him go out on top, but that is just an unrealizable fantasy.

The truth is that the game has passed Jimmy by, and that nothing will change here for at least three more seasons.
#1 assumes we don't fall into a string of losing seasons. If that happens, everything is on the table.

I'll be honest I really wasn't up for this game or the games last night from 1,2,3,4

Can't pinpoint the exact reason
- Is it the team?
- Watching more NBA?
- Too early in the season for such a big game... no context yet.
- My hate for the NCAA and its policies... and I start to feel like a hypocrite for supporting it.

I may get back in, but I think part of my acceptance has just been unfortunately losing interest in all of college basketball it seems.

Bad news: We've never been worse or had less talent as long as I can remember.

Good news: Come March we should still be in the same exact position we have been in for the last 5-6 years on the bubble despite the rock bottom feel to this team/season.

#1 assumes we don't fall into a string of losing seasons. If that happens, everything is on the table.
We haven’t had a losing season in 40 years? And now the string starts now?

If Buddy Boeheim were slightly worse at basketball, would we be watching Mike Hopkins coach Isaiah Stewart right now? What could have been.

Fans weren't behind Mike Hopkins because he lost some ACC games when he stepped in as interim coach a year we ultimately made the Final Four.

He very likely is fired by now think Brad Doreghty at UNC. Our fans are ruthless. They weren't behind Hop until he started winning at UW.

Lets just hope he doesn't get out of the first weekend in the next 3-4 years and coming home appeals to him. If he leaves UW to come here the fans will actually be behind him.

We haven’t had a losing season in 40 years? And now the string starts now?
We have 40 years of data points, and the trend line has been trending precariously in the wrong direction for the last 6 years. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist or MasonAtom to tell you it's just a matter of time now. Part of me isn't sure I want the streak of winning seasons to continue if it prolongs the retirement timeline. I love the streak but 99.9% of college basketball doesn't care about the streak. The streak isn't helping us recruit, develop players or a run a better offensive system. If the devil came to me and said JB will retire after this season if we go 14-17, I'd seriously consider it. I'd have to do my research on what HC candidates might be available first.

I wish we had someone on staff that could be able to talk to him about it. i truly feel like when you have former players the relationship is already defined player/coach and rarely changes.

Fans weren't behind Mike Hopkins because he lost some ACC games when he stepped in as interim coach a year we ultimately made the Final Four.

He very likely is fired by now think Brad Doreghty at UNC. Our fans are ruthless. They weren't behind Hop until he started winning at UW.

Lets just hope he doesn't get out of the first weekend in the next 3-4 years and coming home appeals to him. If he leaves UW to come here the fans will actually be behind him.

Couldn’t disagree more with this statement. Sure a few trolls on here and talk radio may have complained about his 9-game subbing job. But the vast majority of longtime SU fans and season ticket holders I know, who live in Central New York, love Hop and were excited about him taking over. They had also assumed since the early 2000s that he would likely take over for JB here once the old man retired. That was before he even became associate head coach and head coach designate. THey knew what he brought to the table that JB doesn’t have (charisma, a dynamic, motivational personality), and that his great advantage is that he learned how to run a program and how to coach from the master and how to win at Syracuse, but was also his own man with his own ideas (full court pressure, dictating tempo, some man to man).

Last edited:
I'll be honest I really wasn't up for this game or the games last night from 1,2,3,4

Can't pinpoint the exact reason
- Is it the team?
- Watching more NBA?
- Too early in the season for such a big game... no context yet.
- My hate for the NCAA and its policies... and I start to feel like a hypocrite for supporting it.

I may get back in, but I think part of my acceptance has just been unfortunately losing interest in all of college basketball it seems.

Same here. It's supposed to be entertainment. With few exceptions it's not no matter who's playing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom