Acceptance... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Acceptance...

The game passing somebody by is watching Joe Paterno on the sideline without a headset and literally being a figurehead.
That was in plain view the game had passed him by.
JB has a young family. He goes to the NBA Finals and watches the game.
His problem is he doesn’t care about entertainment he coaches every game like it’s game 7 and doesn’t care if we win 50-49.
He cares about defense and winning.

Very few of us oldsters can adapt to modern times or even care to, preferring to look back rather than ahead. Music is a good example...Do I know anything about music today? Nope. Can I tell you everything there is to know about rock n roll in the 60s and 70s? I surely can. Has new music passed me by? You bet, as it should be. Had JB adapted to the way the game is played now it would be easy to say it hadn't passed him by. It's not an easy thing for a person of a certain age who's been wildly successful to look in the mirror to see. I've talked with him numbers of times -- he's about as charming and unassuming a person as you're going to meet anywhere. But he sees no benefit in doing things differently beyond a tweak here and there. Unfortunately, you are right about the 50-49 thing.

What changes would you make? It’s wrong saying JB doesn’t change things up - didn’t Guerrier start before VA? Girard played earlier and about 6 minutes more than the 2 previous games. Marek started and played 15 more minutes than he averaged the previous 2 games. So he’s adjusted playing time that hasn’t been recognized. Ok do you think Sidibe and Marek etc would have covered Diakite and Huff better man to man? Did anyone notice the press? That’s not a zone so he adjusted there too. I think the issues must be a little different than those in game complaints noted regarding JB’s coaching.

What changes would you make? It’s wrong saying JB doesn’t change things up - didn’t Guerrier start before VA? Girard played earlier and about 6 minutes more than the 2 previous games. Marek started and played 15 more minutes than he averaged the previous 2 games. So he’s adjusted playing time that hasn’t been recognized. Ok do you think Sidibe and Marek etc would have covered Diakite and Huff better man to man? Did anyone notice the press? That’s not a zone so he adjusted there too. I think the issues must be a little different than those in game complaints noted regarding JB’s coaching.
Why haven’t we recruited a big who we can throw the ball to the post and score with back to the basket?
If our offense needs spacing to work how to do we get the opposing big from roaming the paint and protecting the rim.

Our offense is the same it’s been every year. We haven’t had a pure PG since Tyler Ennis 5 years ago.
Roster construction is completely the job of the HC and it’s been very poor.

I'll be honest I really wasn't up for this game or the games last night from 1,2,3,4

Can't pinpoint the exact reason
- Is it the team?
- Watching more NBA?
- Too early in the season for such a big game... no context yet.
- My hate for the NCAA and its policies... and I start to feel like a hypocrite for supporting it.

I may get back in, but I think part of my acceptance has just been unfortunately losing interest in all of college basketball it seems.

This. NBA is such a better product these days.

I see all of the apologists saying that this was a tough defense to play against as our opening game but given that it was the opening game shouldn't the coaches have had plenty of time to get them prepared to play against it? I think that makes our coaching look even more pathetic.

we're stuck with crusty mccrustacean until he decides to leave. regardless of results.

Results aren’t nearly as important as playing the bench.

building a winning program for now and the future. . that's what i deem important. that's called coaching.

If you continue to do something that used to work and refused to change, I would say that the "Game has passed you by." But that's semantics.

Also the refrain "JB watches more basketball on TV than any coach" is repeated a lot but I've never really seen any evidence to back it up.
It’s just one of those empty cliches. Sure watching wouldn’t hurt but honestly if you don’t adjust... then what’s the point.

I watch a lot of games. Does that make me a good D1 coach? Nope.

I'll be honest I really wasn't up for this game or the games last night from 1,2,3,4

Can't pinpoint the exact reason
- Is it the team?
- Watching more NBA?
- Too early in the season for such a big game... no context yet.
- My hate for the NCAA and its policies... and I start to feel like a hypocrite for supporting it.

I may get back in, but I think part of my acceptance has just been unfortunately losing interest in all of college basketball it seems.
Yeah, I watch Cuse, and the NBA. The NBA because it's fun. Cuse because it's part of who I am.

Not necessarily a part I like all the time though.

To paraphrase the late, great Igor, JB has played "dino" ball for years (he didn't mean HCDB). Changing the starting lineup, adjusting minutes, moving the zone, etc. aren't changes, they're minor tweaks and nothing more. That's like putting your left sock on before the right when you've always done it the opposite way and calling it a life change. Igor was right then and he's still right now in spirit.

Jesus Christ? How many games has he won? How much college basketball does he watch?
Good questions. Do they have streaming services in heaven or do they have their own leagues? I imagine it's a lot easier to dunk when you have wings.

If Buddy Boeheim were slightly worse at basketball, would we be watching Mike Hopkins coach Isaiah Stewart right now? What could have been.
I must have missed something but what is all the Buddy and Hopkins stuff about?

I must have missed something but what is all the Buddy and Hopkins stuff about?

Jb abandoned retirement and Hops takeover because Buddy was a D1 talent and JB wanted to coach him.

I remember reading an article where JB mentioned the facility and equipment in the Melo center and how that allowed him to still coach at his age and not having to run from place to place during practices, how he can watch players on his screens, how he needs to keep things simple.

On recruiting it's the assistant coaches doing all of the relationship building and JB is the closer.

You can clearly see with other BB program the players talked about their relationships with their HCs, they saw Roy Williams, Izzo, Calipari, K as their dads away from home, here at cuse I think the assistants act as buffers and JB is the overlord, the players don't really bond with JB, he gives an order, the AC interprets and relay to the players.

May be the problem isn't so much JB, but the static system and structure he has created to allow him to still coach at his age with as little effort as possible. I mean that's why he surrounded himself with ex players right? I am sure loyalty is part of it, but ex players know his system, do not need training to learn his system, will not challenge his decisions. Simplicity above everything else.

Last edited:
In addition, there seems to be a pattern with JB making decisions based on some random events.

Wasn't there a report that says JB abandoned playing man to man after their loss to D2 Le Moyne many years ago? Wes Johnson was on that team.

Then his abandoning game day morning shootarounds ever since Danny Schayes during a morning shootaround landed badly and got injured.

Now if you have 100 tricks up your sleeve's and you cross something off every time something freaky happened eventually you have just one or two left LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom