Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly, I don't know the area well at all but the houses in the neighborhood don't look like ones you'd expect to see near one asking $18mm.

View attachment 221845
No. Only $2 Million. Run down shacks. LOL!!! It's a really nice neighborhood with older very nice houses. And then the Riggi's built theirs like 15 years ago.

It’s the ugliest house in Saratoga (maybe) and simply doesn’t belong on North Broadway. But the neighborhood itself is about as nice as you’ll find in Upstate NY. The house next door and across the street is one of my favorites and I believe was owned by the Quad Graphics founder.

$17m definitely seems high but a modest home on the East side starts at about a mil (for) now.

Last edited:
So, Weitsman has said he wants to lure high end talent. Some people think his loyalty to SU is linked to JB. JB is 78 and this may end up being the worst season he's ever had. A basketball team's talent can be revamped in a season or two. Why the delay when we know it's already been happening at other schools? Is it realistic to think this will actually happen here?

So, Weitsman has said he wants to lure high end talent. Some people think his loyalty to SU is linked to JB. JB is 78 and this may end up being the worst season he's ever had. A basketball team's talent can be revamped in a season or two. Why the delay when we know it's already been happening at other schools? Is it realistic to think this will actually happen here?

well he offered a million for a football 5 star too...

1671109071760.png

Lets hope the season after that too.

Weitsman must have changed his mind on the Saratoga house as it's back on the market. Never made sense for him to buy it in the first place.

Not his style.

sorry but i liked college sports when it was NCAA and not professional. a full tuition used to be reward enuf.
in fact it was more than most americans can afford. these kids should be grateful not greedy to play D1 sports.

sorry but i liked college sports when it was NCAA and not professional. a full tuition used to be reward enuf.
in fact it was more than most americans can afford. these kids should be grateful not greedy to play D1 sports.
When the players are generating billions of dollars, they should get some of it. This all needs to get regulated in some way, but it wasn't fair that a bunch of people got rich off of these kids. An education is great, but they should also see some of the money they generate.

When the players are generating billions of dollars, they should get some of it. This all needs to get regulated in some way, but it wasn't fair that a bunch of people got rich off of these kids. An education is great, but they should also see some of the money they generate.
The regulation better come fast -Pandora's Box has been opened.
I preferred illicit behind the scenes bags paying the players to this cluster being in my face instead of "normal" news about the team and players.
And the old way didn't generate players abandoning their team before bowl games.
This sucks -it's the Wild West.

The regulation better come fast -Pandora's Box has been opened.
I preferred illicit behind the scenes bags paying the players to this cluster being in my face instead of "normal" news about the team and players.
And the old way didn't generate players abandoning their team before bowl games.
This sucks -it's the Wild West.
The NCAA failed miserably in getting ahead of this. Hopefully the new guy will be able to figure this out.

The thing is from the schools perspective major athletics are a business. The value of investment they make via providing a scholarship to these athletes is not commensurate with cost. We see how much a student must pay or receive aid to pay but that number isn't equal to cost which is lower.

So the imbalance is that of one side running a business making much more than their investment while the other is given a scholarship for sports which provides education at no cost. The student athlete is often times only a student at said institution because of the athletics where without them, it may not be the case. In that regard basically its a form of employment with employee housing and upfront tuition reimbursement but without pay.

While nostalgia of the days before NIL I get, the blue bloods of major sports have always utilized a private system to provide additional compensation opportunities under the nose of the NCAA which now is just legal with more parameters yet still the same imbalance.

Change is hard and at times uncomfortable. That said the change is appropriate given the reality of major college sports vs this misnomer of it being a bunch of kids playing for their school for fun. It's a business built within higher education the helps fund the educational focused areas of these institutions.

who exactly is getting rich of the athletes? some coaches and ad's maybe? the kids get 100K + a yr in tax free benefits and more if the do Pell stuff.

also recall 95% of the kids who get scholies bring in none of the money..

who exactly is getting rich of the athletes? some coaches and ad's maybe? the kids get 100K + a yr in tax free benefits and more if the do Pell stuff.

This is all defined by the schools. 100k plus is value not actual which is part of the issue. Education doesn't cost the universities 100k per student. It's far less. It's perception vs reality in terms of the benefits they are getting.

also recall 95% of the kids who get scholies bring in none of the money..
It's a multi billion dollar industry, there are plenty of people getting rich off of college athletics. Not all college athletes deserve a piece of the pie, but those in revenue generating sports should share in that revenue in some regulated way.

Status
Not open for further replies.