Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. You want his money? You gotta play his game. More power to him, he earned it and he gets to use it how he wants.
The university is bigger than one person. Even with his nil money we aren’t getting top talent without infrastructure.

I’ve heard rumblings myself, but no person is getting those tickets and that box without providing a pretty substantial donation.
Right. I doubt he is getting those things on an IOU. But based on those other comments, is the school trying to hold him hostage for other donations.

Not sure if this is applicable, but when NIL was first being rolled out, one of my comments was going to be the challenge that schools were going to have if boosters were opting into the NIL program in lieu of donations directly to the school.

It's a slippery slope, and if people are still giving their regular donations plus additional to the NIL, that's one thing. But, if they are cutting back on donating to the school, and using that same pot of money to donate instead to NIL, I can see where the fundraising arm of the university could be upset. Most people don't, or won't, or can't, open their wallets for additional money to both funds.

In Adam's case, maybe he wants to donate to the NIL, instead of donating to the school's general fund. It's his prerogative.

Right. I doubt he is getting those things on an IOU. But based on those other comments, is the school trying to hold him hostage for other donations.

Not sure if this is applicable, but when NIL was first being rolled out, one of my comments was going to be the challenge that schools were going to have if boosters were opting into the NIL program in lieu of donations directly to the school.

It's a slippery slope, and if people are still giving their regular donations plus additional to the NIL, that's one thing. But, if they are cutting back on donating to the school, and using that same pot of money to donate instead to NIL, I can see where the fundraising arm of the university could be upset. Most people don't, or won't, or can't, open their wallets for additional money to both funds.

In Adam's case, maybe he wants to donate to the NIL, instead of donating to the school's general fund. It's his prerogative.
This is where the lack of TV money relative to the B10 is going to hurt.

Regardless I find this very… odd… that the university is trying to tell Adam how he needs to spend his money.

Cool. Show me his donations to the school then. I was told the university has been begging for a donation for a practice facility and he will not donate to anything that goes into a pool. It’s all about his brand, you can see it with everything he does.
Game programs always used to list donors in descending order. Upstate Shredding was number 2 or 3 every year. Haven’t seen one since rebranding of Orange Club but pretty confident he maintained that level. Was told second hand that he was number two to John Lally last year. That’s donations to Athletics. I don’t know about anything to the University General Fund.

Last edited:

I can guarantee you that our fundraising arm, CAF, is not the least bit frustrated with Adam. This thread has now officially entered Bizzaro World.

I can guarantee you that our fundraising arm, CAF, is not the least bit frustrated with Adam. This thread has now officially entered Bizzaro World.

So through deductive reasoning then, the only logical reality here it seems is the public commentary and maybe public association with certain affiliates current and future is a source of concern and a desire to manage that part better... as was raised a few times.

So this came to my ears through a weird chain of people so I wanted to throw it out here to see if anyone had heard anything similar:

A fellow STH told me last night that Weitsman and the chancellor got into it about the NIL stuff and now Adam is going to pull some of his support.

Again, no idea if I trust it at all so just wanted to find out if anybody knew anything.
If that's true, the Chancellor should immediately be fired.

So through deductive reasoning then, the only logical reality here it seems is the public commentary and maybe public association with certain affiliates current and future is a source of concern and a desire to manage that part better... as was raised a few times.
And there is really no major issue

I’ve heard rumblings myself, but no person is getting those tickets and that box without providing a pretty substantial donation.
I'm surprised and not surprised that they sold him that box. That used to be the single ticket high roller suite. I was able to sit in there as a guest once back when the seats were "only" $10k a piece for the season.

If Syverud wants to involve himself in basketball ops, I have a suggestion…
Mine is to Get A Life... and I say this mainly tongue and cheek.

I do think Syverud supports athletics to the extent that it helps the University's profile.

All presidents have their idiosyncrasies. Maybe it's the publicity stuff AW does, as has been mentioned. Who really knows.

Last edited:
I was told there’s a few issues. Something to do with him not donating to the university in any meaningful manner. Aw having the seats and box he has while supporters are donating millions and getting overlooked. Also heard there is an issue with him not paying for security for his celebrities and something about him having one parking spot and using multiple. I think it really stems from him trying to grow his brand at the expense of su without supporting the university.
This is the version I’ve heard more or less.

I see both sides of it. 1- he is donating to make the programs better (NIL). Even though it doesn’t help infastructure. Which seems to be contradicting some of the other posts where they say he has always been a top donator. But regardless he is donating, just to the players and not the university. This gives the program better quality players and a better product. A better product then leads to more tickets and hopefully more success on the field. Which then gives us more money. Sometimes you shouldn’t bite the hand….

I see both sides of it. 1- he is donating to make the programs better (NIL). Even though it doesn’t help infastructure. Which seems to be contradicting some of the other posts where they say he has always been a top donator. But regardless he is donating, just to the players and not the university. This gives the program better quality players and a better product. A better product then leads to more tickets and hopefully more success on the field. Which then gives us more money. Sometimes you shouldn’t bite the hand….
Agree. I don’t see any other big donors donating to these collectives, hence why he started his own and is paying lawyers to stay within the rules. He is directly helping the university with his NIL efforts.

Re: the parking space. Think about it this way… whose parking spots is he taking? Some other high $ donor that parks in the same area as him. Then SU gets a call about it. I’m just saying, I can see why it’d be an issue.
Sustained! A parking spot is just as much a status symbol as it is a convenience on the hill.

And isn't a principal reason for athletic infrastructure spending (arms race) to attract better recruits? His is a more direct and now allowable vehicle.

Re: the parking space. Think about it this way… whose parking spots is he taking? Some other high $ donor that parks in the same area as him. Then SU gets a call about it. I’m just saying, I can see why it’d be an issue.
He parks near a dumpster for his sakes!

I just spoke to Adam Weitsman. I’ve chatted with him via social media and he asked me to call him so that he could clarify a few things.
1. Parking spots: he pays for 7 parking spaces (1 for himself, 2 for employees and 4 for first responders and he pays for their tickets as well).
2. Security: he doesn’t bring security for his guests, but the university provides security for these guests at their discretion and the university charges him for this service immediately after the games. He, in turn, immediately pays for their services.

Status
Not open for further replies.