Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Adam Weitsman announces NIL plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those schools are run by experienced AD’s that have proved they had the acumen to run a high level P5 job. We plucked our AD from Bristol and he was on nobody else’s radar, much like our current head basketball coach.

I don't disagree. Wildhack also jumped shipped when ESPN started cratering.

That's how Syracuse rolls though. Keep everything inhouse with the same small thinking and retread ideas. It's the way we used to do it in 1950 so we'll keep doing it that way. Football just hired a nutritionist for cripes sakes. Last team in the league to do so.

Last edited:
My take on Adam who i know from Skaneateles.
He is a very good person. Does 10 times more quietly than not
Kent has had an issue with JB since Jim backed out of his commitment to turn the reigns over to hop.
Adam is one of Jims best friends.
Adam went out of his way to clear everything with SU compliance regarding NIL
Kents beef with Adam has zero to do with Adam doing any illegal NIL activities.
Kent has an issue with JB.
Kent goes to bed in his suit.
Kent is by all accounts an excellent chancellor who has been in the academic bubble his entire life.
Kent and Adam are from different sides of the tracks.
Adam is his own man and does things to promote his brand. NIL is all about a player promoting something, endorsing something it doesn't have to be about charitable efforts. It is about using the individuals name image and likeness to promote something and to be paid for that promotion, effort and or endorsement.
Adam was willling to pay kids to promote his brand and to do good things. He was willing to help mentor kids.
Adams background is a heck of a lot closer to the background of most of our players than Kent will ever be.
Adams flashy and Kent doesn't understand or like that.
Did I mention Kent has an issue with Jim.

my take on this is one sided so im sure there may be more to this. But i truly believe that Kent has let his personal beliefs vs facts get in the way of one of SUs biggest supporters. Adam was a game changer for us. He bleeds orange and Kent chased away a really good guy. NOT a bad individual but a really good guy who just happens to be very different from the Syracuse Chancellor.
Kent screwed up big time in my opinion and should be worried more about raising the academic standards of Syracuse vs getting into a pissing match with one of the athletic departments' biggest supporters.

Kent has had an issue with JB since Jim backed out of his commitment to turn the reigns over to hop.
Kent is by all accounts an excellent chancellor who has been in the academic bubble his entire life.
Adam is his own man and does things to promote his brand. NIL is all about a player promoting something, endorsing something it doesn't have to be about charitable efforts. It is about using the individuals name image and likeness to promote something and to be paid for that promotion, effort and or endorsement.
Adam was willling to pay kids to promote his brand and to do good things. He was willing to help mentor kids.
Adams background is a heck of a lot closer to the background of most of our players than Kent will ever be.

my take on this is one sided so im sure there may be more to this. But i truly believe that Kent has let his personal beliefs vs facts get in the way of one of SUs biggest supporters. Adam was a game changer for us. He bleeds orange and Kent chased away a really good guy. NOT a bad individual but a really good guy who just happens to be very different from the Syracuse Chancellor.
Kent screwed up big time in my opinion and should be worried more about raising the academic standards of Syracuse vs getting into a pissing match with one of the athletic departments' biggest supporters.
dude great great post and summation of what appears to have occurred and will continue to occur as a result (best players leaving for greener pa$ture$). Syracuse has an ivory tower idealist living in the past as it's CEO, not fully embracing the new reality of college sports, NIL/portal.

This will deter the attempts at successful sports creating just another obstacle to be overcome with and as a result with the continued exodus of top talent. But this $ situation with NIL and portal is insurmountable if championships are the goal.

It's noble, heck I went to Hamilton college and not SU or others like it because I value what he values. At that level, not at the level syracuse resides in and not at the price points/expenditures we're talking, heck become a Colgate if this is the model they want to follow.

He and they and the alums who think same have the right to lead the school as they see fit, we as fans have to see this and decide if second tier status in sport (or worse) is ok with us. At the price points we spend it's not IMHO as all of what you wrote above is true. This is a big day and big moment for Syracuse sports.

Last edited:

I think Adam is good for the area and does great things, but when it came to NIL and other things(basketball academy) he overpromises and under delivers. It's been this way for a while.

For the most part….. clueless.

dude great great post and summation of what appears to have occurred and will continue to occur as a result (best players leaving for greener pa$ture$). Syracuse has an ivory tower idealist living in the past as it's CEO, not fully embracing the new reality of college sports, NIL/portal.

This will deter the attempts at successful sports creating just another obstacle to be overcome with and as a result with the continued exodus of top talent. But this $ situation with NIL and portal is insurmountable if championships are the goal.

It's noble, heck I went to Hamilton college and not SU or others like it because I value what he values. At that level, not at the level syracuse resides in and not at the price points/expenditures we're talking, heck become a Colgate if this is the model they want to follow.

He and they and the alums who think same have the right to lead the school as they see fit, we as fans have to see this and decide if second tier status in sport (or worse) is ok with us. At the price points we spend it's not IMHO as all of what you wrote above is true. This is a big day and big moment for Syracuse sports.
I'm just going to keep asking...

Weitsman can contribute to the existing NIL collectives. Why won't he?

kscu is a Adam superfan (which is his right) so he's a staunch defender, I think that context is important to add to whatever bees responds with.
As opposed to the Cuse superfans ?

Everyone has a lean one way or another.

I'm just going to keep asking...

Weitsman can contribute to the existing NIL collectives. Why won't he?

NIL is about players being recompensed for using their names and likenesses to promote brands. AW was paying these kids to promote his brand, knowing that it would also benefit the Orange.

The NIL collective suddenly becomes a much more diluted endeavor for him. He probably doesn't think the value is there.

And frankly, if I was so unceremoniously shown the door here, I don't know that I'd be in a hurry to re-engage.

NIL is about players being recompensed for using their names and likenesses to promote brands. AW was paying these kids to promote his brand, knowing that it would also benefit the Orange.

The NIL collective suddenly becomes a much more diluted endeavor for him. He probably doesn't think the value is there.

And frankly, if I was so unceremoniously shown the door here, I don't know that I'd be in a hurry to re-engage.
The facts are he wasn’t paying what he said he would pay. He was more bluster than anything.

translation: AW never cared about Syracuse University enough to put his own interests behind those of the university.

He's a businessman who wants to use the great brand of Syracuse University to prop up his brand which probably needs work to be recognized. As a Syracuse grad i'm fine with the university kindly asking him to get in line with other donors vs being our front door to how we are perceived.

If it costs us a kid or two NIL wise so be it

This stuff happens at those schools. Actually, MUCH worse happens at those schools. But it’s not national news (neither is Weitsman) and SU fans don’t care about the bruised egos of Kentucky boosters.

And no one ran Weitsman off. He hopped in the Bugatti he posted about 16 times on Insta and drove himself away.
I think there are AW type people at a lot of programs. The difference is, the local media (and thus the public) doesn't go crazy about a wealthy person being involved with the program and showing up to games (with celebrities).

Should one outsider have a ton of influence over an athletic program? Of course not, and I get Syracuse not wanting one person dominate the face of the program (didn't bode well for Auburn back in the day, among other examples).

However, it doesn't appear Syracuse has a lot of people willing to back NIL with serious money, so there should be a happy medium.

I don’t follow football or basketball recruiting as much as I used to, but exactly what did he do for recruiting/NIL? As far as I can tell, his donations were basically payments for his box and floor seats so he could show off for the people he brought to games and get attention to increase his social media following. I bet he’s paid more in appearance fees to get these people to the Dome than he has in NIL in the last couple years.

I don’t think serious donors at the schools that know how to play the money game are trying to get attention or exposure. The ones that eat up the fame are the ones that get popped. I don’t blame the school for telling him to back off.

I think there are AW type people at a lot of programs. The difference is, the local media (and thus the public) doesn't go crazy about a wealthy person being involved with the program and showing up to games (with celebrities).

Should one outsider have a ton of influence over an athletic program? Of course not, and I get Syracuse not wanting one person dominate the face of the program (didn't bode well for Auburn back in the day, among other examples).

However, it doesn't appear Syracuse has a lot of people willing to back NIL with serious money, so there should be a happy medium.
i do think the narrative is being established by AW to shield himself from the inevitable reason he probably took his ball home: He was boostering purely because of a friendship with Boeheim.

With Jim out of the picture, the juice wasn't worth the squeeze either. JAB is a bonafide celebrity. AW loves celebrities and i'm sure JAB has introduced him to Melo (who knows other celebs), Pitino, et al.

I never saw him as a long lasting booster for the program. As I said, we need captains of industry that are grads who are not beholden to an individual and are beholden to a specific school at SU or even played for one.

translation: AW never cared about Syracuse University enough to put his own interests behind those of the university.

He's a businessman who wants to use the great brand of Syracuse University to prop up his brand which probably needs work to be recognized. As a Syracuse grad i'm fine with the university kindly asking him to get in line with other donors vs being our front door to how we are perceived.

If it costs us a kid or two NIL wise so be it
That's not the translation at all. You are correct, he is a businessman. He's also a fan.

He's not a philanthropist.

There's clearly two camps here, which is pretty much the situation every single time a contentious issue regarding the University arises. There's a pretty global inability among our fan base (me included) to accept it's all a gray area and there is likely fact on both sides.

I'll work on that. I challenge others to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.