ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

Of course and i didn't say it was a bad idea my point is the fact that Wildhack came out with this statement is proof that Dino is on the hot seat and a change is possible.
So, it couldn't be negative recruiting and an attempt to keep the recruiting class together based on totally unfounded rumors and ridiculous calls for his firing? OK.

Need to try to get Joe Moorhead as OC for '21 and with his knowledge and NE recruiting ties, he would be a great pickup for the CUSE and possibly a HC in waiting if Dino decides to bolt or get relieved of his duties. Not happy with the Sterlin Gilbert offense or what we have seen so far.
He's not leaving oregon to come here.

Need to try to get Joe Moorhead as OC for '21 and with his knowledge and NE recruiting ties, he would be a great pickup for the CUSE and possibly a HC in waiting if Dino decides to bolt or get relieved of his duties. Not happy with the Sterlin Gilbert offense or what we have seen so far.
This is exactly what needs to happen!!

Joe has it made at Oregon as the OC big $$ a great program and a great place to live.

That's been said and done and JW is much much smarter than that.

Still resonates all these years later too. I will say this for his faults Jake really built a strong FB and Men's BB, and Lax programs. Not sure he knew other sports existed, but it was those 3's heyday for the most part

Can we really judge Gilbert with no spring practice and a messed up summer. We don’t even know who calls the plays. I actually liked more of what I saw offensively last week. More motion, miss direction, and some route combinations that were new.

The interesting thing here is not the AD saying Dino is coming back per se, the content of his message. But rather, it's that public action of him actually doing it. I like it for a couple of reasons. It helps Dino from a stability/recruiting standpoint. It publicly establishes that the AD is on it which should satisfy the season tickets holders and the torch and pitchfork groups. Lastly it is a message to Dino, not that Dino was not already cognizant of the fact that his product is not looking good, to be aware he is on notice. Good job JW!
I am not going to go on the record as to how many years Dino has left or what our record must be in 2021, but I will say this (and I am firmly a Dino supporter): Dino should focus on himself and work with his communications team on doing a MUCH better job communicating with his team and fanbase via the media. It's very very important that during times of adversity, leaders lead. Leaders communicate. Leaders portray confidence, vision and planning.

This is from June 11 (bold is BAD!):
"We've never gone through anything like this before," Babers responded. "I think back to Heartbreak Ridge with Clint Eastwood. This is going to be an adjust and improvise type of situation. I literally don't know what's going to happen two weeks from now. I can't look into the future and say, 'if we do this and this, we're going to be like this'. There's no history. There's no knowledge to pull from and now this is strictly a gut situation. We don't even have a long enough period to work on the basic fundamentals because we lost 12 practices in the spring, to make good, fair evaluations on people."

My shoulders slumped when I read this. And I wonder what his players thought if they did. It is as if he was setting up the media for the impending losing season, as if he wanted to be able to tell them after the fact, "I told you back in June we'd win 1 of 2 games. I just could not say it."

Fast forward a few months. I think we saw that someone got to Dino (likely ADJW) between Saturday afternoon (post Liberty) and Monday's presser. He improved on his messaging Monday. Put more thought into it. Wildhack needs to help coach Dino up here.

There are communications professionals (beyond his SIDs) that are experts in this realm. He cannot simply walk in from the practice field and wing it. He has to give this some thought, because he's on the verge of losing the 'benefit of the doubt.'

If he is going to ask his players to get bigger, faster, better between now and next season (which he should), Dino should work on his communicative tones, messages and timings. It would go a long way.

Please Dino, for your own good, less movie references.
Less Noah's Ark talk about Rhinos, Elephants.
You are not Bill Belichick. There is no real harm is building up some rapport with the local media and fanbase. Show some color and insight.

Worry less that an operative in Clemson's football office is listening or reading and realize that your own team and fanbase are.

This all needs to be cleaned up.

Of course and i didn't say it was a bad idea my point is the fact that Wildhack came out with this statement is proof that Dino is on the hot seat and a change is possible.
It’s proof that people talk, and SUADJW was trying to quell some of the speculation.

I find it very interesting to read all of the takes on a simple statement. The people who want DB fired either think JWs remark means DB is on the chopping block or that SU is riding a sinking ship because it's too cheap to cut ties, while the DB supporters take the statement as a positive sign.
My takeaway: the real intent (whatever it is) doesn't matter. People will create the narrative they want and argue it to the end.

I'm rooting for DB... I think he's a quality individual..

That being said his stubborness, inability to see holes in his roster, and game management have been atrocious... He really needs to get his stuff together...

I find it very interesting to read all of the takes on a simple statement. The people who want DB fired either think JWs remark means DB is on the chopping block or that SU is riding a sinking ship because it's too cheap to cut ties, while the DB supporters take the statement as a positive sign.
My takeaway: the real intent (whatever it is) doesn't matter. People will create the narrative they want and argue it to the end.
Most schools don't release statements on the future of their coach unless its an issue. Wildhack felt he needed to release on, and keep in mind he didn't hire Dino. I'm down on Dino but willing to give him another year, but he has to win next year.

We’re about to lose by 90 this weekend, good to get out in front of that.

It truly is daunting...along with how fast we have fallen. I mean just last season prior to its commencement, Liberty on the schedule was considered a joke, and all that talk about having ESPN's Game Day on campus for that Clemson game.

Just as 2020 has reiterated...what a difference a year can make.

Yes, as is always the case, people will believe what they want/choose to believe. It's the power of free will, and one's own thinking.

One thing about the 4/5 comment. 2017 should have been a bowl season. Brutal schedule but also brutal outcomes in close games we absolutely could have won. Should haves don't help anyone's reputation and are not why people keep jobs but it really should have been a bowl year. Just like 2018 probably should have been an 8-4/7-5 bowl year. Bad breaks/good breaks in those years play a big role in the body of work we are looking at.

I'm rooting for DB... I think he's a quality individual..

That being said his stubborness, inability to see holes in his roster, and game management have been atrocious... He really needs to get his stuff together...
Just on your point about holes in the roster, I have to doubt the suggestion that Dino and his staff could be unaware. The QB situation was obvious. The lack of size in the DL was obvious. Similar at LB — unless he was over confident in what our young LBs could do. We could use a top transfer at WR. Bleich was injured at Florida; Dakota had surgery post-season. Did they stand pat on the roster for a reason, or were they not able to attract help?

I'm fine with keeping him. I still believe in the offense. If I don't believe in what they want to do, I'm more impatient. Not being able recruit could cost him in the end but it takes a lot longer to know that for sure. Guys like gerg and shafer, you don't need to wait, is obvious they don't get it

He doesn’t want to allow Schiano to negative recruit against us.

Wildhack was smart. While Dino has sucked this year he wasn’t getting fired this year unless the team completely demanded it and that isn’t the case.

So Wildhack isn’t letting Dino get negative recruited against.

You can play that one both ways (easy Millhouse).

The sharks (like Schiano) can use the statement against us pretty easily. "They had to come out with one of those dreaded kiss of death statements because his days are numbered" How many times have we seen an AD or GM or Owner make such a statement only to backpedal?

Personally, I'd rather we stayed silent, or we made it a setup question from a friendly that can take one for the team (like Matt Park). Have the person ask about Wildhack about it, his answer is "we just signed him to an extension and it's a once in a lifetime COVID ravaged season, why are you asking me such a ridiculous question?

I don't take this statement as a good thing. The fact that this has to be said shows the wheels are spinning. His days are numbered.

Just on your point about holes in the roster, I have to doubt the suggestion that Dino and his staff could be unaware. The QB situation was obvious. The lack of size in the DL was obvious. Similar at LB — unless he was over confident in what our young LBs could do. We could use a top transfer at WR. Bleich was injured at Florida; Dakota had surgery post-season. Did they stand pat on the roster for a reason, or were they not able to attract help?

They tried to get QBs. They didn't come. You can pitch, wine and dine all you want, the player makes the decision at the end of the day. One of the QBs (Cade Fortin) is a complete non factor at USF. He probably wouldn't play here. This season is a crash course in what they need going forward. If that isn't addressed, then you ask what the hell is going on. The holes are massive. As far as I'm concerned, there are multiple starting jobs open next season on both sides of the ball.

Sigh. I wouldn't judge Dino on just this year either. I'd judge him based on 4 of 5.

Seems like he is being judged by his supporters on ONE good season though, a couple nice wins, and a couple nice speeches.

I don't even know that i want him gone...i like him as a person. But its too early for this statement.

Another lost year.

You'd normally give a new coach a pass on his first after a 4 win season that caused his predecessor to be fired, no? That's what non-SEC level programs do, so let's say yep.

His second year he beat a ranked VaTech team. That's the first ranked win for the program since Marrone beat Bridgewater's Louisville, 4 years earlier.

His third year he beat #2 ranked Clemson, the highest ranked win since 1984 with Mac.

His fourth year he won 10 games. The last time a Syracuse coach had done that was 2001 with P.

Last year and this year are atrocious given the trajectory of the program in 2018... But hardly an indictment given the other 3. I think it was right to give him the extension then and it's fair to question and have ADW come out to say something about the current state of things now.

No coach should get fired this year at any program, honestly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom