ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021" | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

ADJW on Dino: "He's going to be our coach in 2021"

He went 6-5, 6-5 (with a win over Nebraska), and 7-5 (with a bowl game), but when he started out 0-4 in 1986, fans wanted him gone.

Nobody remembers that we finished 5-2 down the stretch.
That was the setup for the next year, and wasn't Donnie injured part of that season. At 74 my memory isn't quite what it was.

That was the setup for the next year, and wasn't Donnie injured part of that season. At 74 my memory isn't quite what it was.

A bunch of guys were out during the 0-4 stretch. When they got healthy, we got better.

What does this prove? It does not take a genius coach to recruit players. So why then is Babers at the low end of recruiting?

Compared to other Syracuse coaches in the last 20 years he’s at the top.

I guess we will see next year, I am hoping for my miracle, but not expecting anything close after watching what Dino and company produced this year. Remember you are what your record says you are.

If there was ever a year this was complete bunk, it’s this one.

I guess we will see next year, I am hoping for my miracle, but not expecting anything close after watching what Dino and company produced this year. Remember you are what your record says you are.
I love numbers too but which record is he

15-10 for the previous two years or 1-10 this year?

Or you could say 18-19 his 1st 3 years, 6-17 his last 2.

Or if you really want to go negative, 4 of his 5 years yielded 14-33. Numbers are easily manipulated. Overall, his cuse record is 24-36.

Last edited:
The record applies to this year. It resets next year. 2019 taught us this after the 10 win 2018 season.
2019 also taught us to temper expectations, so don’t hope too hard for that miracle.

When all is said and done, our AD has faith in Dino and it's way better to look at the plus side of things. So here's to hopefully a great offseason, great recruits, the end of 2020 because I am really ready for it to be in the rear view mirror and a good year for Dino and the boys in 2021.

24-36 at Syracuse, not exactly great and going down not up. Trending is very important, and our trend is downward.

The record applies to this year. It resets next year. 2019 taught us this after the 10 win 2018 season.
2019 also taught us to temper expectations, so don’t hope too hard for that miracle.
24-36 at Syracuse, not exactly great and going down not up. Trending is very important, and our trend is downward.
His record is 24-36, take away cupcakes and it is worse. His coaching record does not reset.
Try taking off the orange colored glasses.
I had great expectations, but no longer do.

A former player on one of the syracuse FB pages mentioned he wasn’t welcome on the hill. So idk if it’s full support
Posts talking about Babers’ “strong” support are odd in a thread where hardcore fans are questioning whether he should be our coach, and in a forum where there have been numerous threads about former players and/or parents of players questioning his coaching, posters questioning whether there would be a mass exodus, posters questioning whether the team quit on him, posters questioning whether he quit on the team, and so on.

It’s like the claims that he represents the university well. I’m not sure how that’s quantified. He hasn’t gotten busted for cheating, gotten in bar fights, or been found with coeds - sure. But he’s lost a lot of football games and said a bunch of things that sound really, really dumb, or, in the right (wrong?) context, egocentric. Talking about “belief without evidence” while getting pounded to a 1-10 record in year 5 due to “out lifting the freshmen” isn’t helping the university’s image in my eyes. Letting players carry out crazy in-game antics doesn’t enhance the university in my eyes. Letting 18-22 year old kids make very strong political statements on national TV that can’t be taken back or gracefully mitigated later in life is a phenomenally problematic public lack of judgement that will likely hurt the university’s image in my eyes. These are kids who lost the power to choose their uniform on senior day because they couldn’t get that decision right...

He’s our coach, and he will be our coach next year. Assuming he gets 6 wins, which I think he probably will, then he’ll be our coach the year after next. We should all hope he does well. But the man has obvious weaknesses that have clearly manifested themselves in our abysmal record.

The mental gymnastics that certain posters make to try to distort reality and rewrite history in an effort to defend DB from genuine (and often obvious and otherwise uncontroversial criticism) are bizarre.

Not cherry picking. You said he's been a failure everywhere he's been. Those are his OC stats the last 4 years as an OC so your claim is not remotely true. And as a HC he went 7-5. In fact Syracuse is only the 2nd time he's been a part of a losing staff. 1 year at Texas being the other when his team put up 500 ypg.

Re: Quentin Flowers - how many coaches put up GREAT numbers and 10+ wins with bad to mediocre players? Probably zero.

The whole run out of town thing?

Numbskull South Florida fans criticized him because they have an over inflated view of their program but the stats are the stats. You can interpret them any way you like.

From the Tampa Tribune when Gilbert took the HC job at McNeese St:

It played to mixed reviews in 2017 as USF finished sixth nationally in total offense (513.0 ypg) and eighth in rushing (264.1 ypg), though Gilbert frequently was criticized for under-utilizing QB Quinton Flowers.

This year, USF (7-5) ranks fifth in the American Athletic Conference in total offense (444.2 ypg) but has averaged 19.8 points during its skid, a stretch in which QB Blake Barnett (2,806 total yards) and TE Mitch Wilcox (40 receptions, 506 yards) haven't been totally healthy.

**6th nationally and USF fans criticized him? ok. :rolleyes:
**2018 the O's two best players weren't totally healthy, the article admits it.
**We also don't know anything about the team that year. The defense allowed 450ypg and ranked #95 nationally.

If you don't like Gilbert that's fine. But the guy has had proven success, whether you like it or not. He definitely had some head scratchers this season (I've called them out) but he also called some good games and tried the best he could to make chicken salad out of chicken sht. Not easy to do.
YPG and PPP are close to meaningless stats. There’s a wide dispersion in pace between schools ever since Art Briles’ Baylor offense got big, and the modern game is much faster than past eras.

Yards per play/possession and points per play/possession (ideally possession) are far more relevant.

I have no idea if YPP/PPP would make Gilbert look good or bad, but making arguments based off of YPG is like arguing how good of an offensive coordinator he is based on his cousin’s favorite 3 colors.

Posts talking about Babers’ “strong” support are odd in a thread where hardcore fans are questioning whether he should be our coach, and in a forum where there have been numerous threads about former players and/or parents of players questioning his coaching, posters questioning whether there would be a mass exodus, posters questioning whether the team quit on him, posters questioning whether he quit on the team, and so on.

It’s like the claims that he represents the university well. I’m not sure how that’s quantified. He hasn’t gotten busted for cheating, gotten in bar fights, or been found with coeds - sure. But he’s lost a lot of football games and said a bunch of things that sound really, really dumb, or, in the right (wrong?) context, egocentric. Talking about “belief without evidence” while getting pounded to a 1-10 record in year 5 due to “out lifting the freshmen” isn’t helping the university’s image in my eyes. Letting players carry out crazy in-game antics doesn’t enhance the university in my eyes. Letting 18-22 year old kids make very strong political statements on national TV that can’t be taken back or gracefully mitigated later in life is a phenomenally problematic public lack of judgement that will likely hurt the university’s image in my eyes. These are kids who lost the power to choose their uniform on senior day because they couldn’t get that decision right...

He’s our coach, and he will be our coach next year. Assuming he gets 6 wins, which I think he probably will, then he’ll be our coach the year after next. We should all hope he does well. But the man has obvious weaknesses that have clearly manifested themselves in our abysmal record.

The mental gymnastics that certain posters make to try to distort reality and rewrite history in an effort to defend DB from genuine (and often obvious and otherwise uncontroversial criticism) are bizarre.

The 2nd paragraph is horrendous.

This thread is about JW stating that Dino is coming back next year no matter what. It's not just about hardcore fans on one side of the aisle. I was not able to read the article from yesterday, did JW state 6 games or bust in there or is 6 games your number? It's a bit strange that in a thread that the AD says Dino is fine, that fans are fighting saying he shouldn't when the AD is saying otherwise. Simply neither side of the hardcore base will concede to the other. This thread is like the old Miller Light commercials...GREAT TASTE!...no its LESS FILLING!...no it's GREAT TASTE!...it's LESS FILLING! and so on.

One could equally argue that the mental deficiencies exhibited by certain posters, who absolutely refuse to accept the fact that turning this around after almost twenty years of mostly absolute suckitude is an exceedingly hard thing to accomplish, are equally bizarre.

The continued support for DB is less about absolute loyalty to the man and more a realization that the TAT of this program, with all its inherent limitations, is task that will not be accomplished in 2 or 3 or even 5 years. It will be done in small increments with sometimes multiple steps back for every step forward.

The 17 year old in Western PA or South Florida or at Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, New Jersey doesn't give a rats' a$$ about Jim Brown and Ernie Davis and Floyd Little and Larry Csonka and Joe Morris and Art Monk and 1987 and Marvin Harrison and Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney. All he knows is that, ever since he can remember, the Syracuse football team has mostly sucked.

And trotting out an unending succession of coaches every few years is not the answer. We've tried that. it hasn't worked. That is the approach such wonderfully successful franchises such as the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals take. NFL carcasses, all.

Find your guy whom you believe can be the right guy, and give him a decade to turn it around because that is what it takes.

I just thank my lucky stars that none of you have the least bit of influence over our athletic programs.

If you did, Larry would be coaching hoops, Moe would be coaching football and Curly would be coaching lacrosse.

One could equally argue that the mental deficiencies exhibited by certain posters, who absolutely refuse to accept the fact that turning this around after almost twenty years of mostly absolute suckitude is an exceedingly hard thing to accomplish, are equally bizarre.

The continued support for DB is less about absolute loyalty to the man and more a realization that the TAT of this program, with all its inherent limitations, is task that will not be accomplished in 2 or 3 or even 5 years. It will be done in small increments with sometimes multiple steps back for every step forward.

The 17 year old in Western PA or South Florida or at Don Bosco Prep in Ramsey, New Jersey doesn't give a rats' a$$ about Jim Brown and Ernie Davis and Floyd Little and Larry Csonka and Joe Morris and Art Monk and 1987 and Marvin Harrison and Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney. All he knows is that, ever since he can remember, the Syracuse football team has mostly sucked.

And trotting out an unending succession of coaches every few years is not the answer. We've tried that. it hasn't worked. That is the approach such wonderfully successful franchises such as the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals take. NFL carcasses, all.

Find your guy whom you believe can be the right guy, and give him a decade to turn it around because that is what it takes.

I just thank my lucky stars that none of you have the least bit of influence over our athletic programs.

If you did, Larry would be coaching hoops, Moe would be coaching football and Curly would be coaching lacrosse.
Ok so let’s give every coach a decade and get 1 10 win season and 3 bowls and call it sucessful? Do you keep that coach after that if he has a .400 record after 10 years

How many freshman did we play?! C’mon.

Our schedule was 2nd hardest *since* P and 4th hardest since Mac. We had the second toughest schedule in the ACC this year. According to sports reference we have the *6th* hardest SoS this year out of 130 teams.

I think folks haven’t really reckoned with what we went up against this year without our best players for most of it.
SOS is 62nd not 6th NCAA College Football Strength of Schedule Rankings & Ratings

With the way the schedule is in CFB now days going 6-6 and being competitive most years en route to a bowl game shouldn't take 6 years, if after year 6 you can't win 3 OOC games and 3 ACC games then maybe you can't cut it.
Sam Pittman at arkansas is a lot harder job than here and he's had plenty of success, I could name many others. Yes will it take along time to start having 8 win seasons consistently, but we should be at the minimum winning 6 games with the schedule we get most years.

\
With the way the schedule is in CFB now days going 6-6 and being competitive most years en route to a bowl game shouldn't take 6 years, if after year 6 you can't win 3 OOC games and 3 ACC games then maybe you can't cut it.
Sam Pittman at arkansas is a lot harder job than here and he's had plenty of success, I could name many others. Yes will it take along time to start having 8 win seasons consistently, but we should be at the minimum winning 6 games with the schedule we get most years.

Why should we be winning a minimum of 6 games a year when we have had 4 different coaches in 16 years that have only done it 4 times combined? Why is that? just don't get the logic. So now the answer is another coach? I just think it's a a bigger issue than just the coach. I keep hearing 6 wins 6 wins, the truth is it's not that easy at Syracuse and I think that's pretty clear. The truth is EVERY fan thinks their program should be winning 6 games a year at a minimum because they think it's easy. IT"S NOT!!!! and it's even more difficult at Syracuse, I think that has become painfully obvious. Well what about this guy or this guy or that guy? Don't care, they aren't coaching Syracuse. Every job is different. 16 years and 4 coaches!!!!

and why are you comparing us to Arkansas? I don't get that either, makes zero sense, They have had more coaches than anyone. How long you think Pittman will be at Arkansas before the fire another HC?. I will say 2 more years.

Last edited:
His record is 24-36, take away cupcakes and it is worse. His coaching record does not reset.
Try taking off the orange colored glasses.
I had great expectations, but no longer do.
That’s a different record you are referring to. And where do you get from my post that I have orange colored glasses, was it when I said don’t hope too hard for a miracle?

Ok so let’s give every coach a decade and get 1 10 win season and 3 bowls and call it sucessful?

That would mean we make a bowl twice in the next five years with a max number of 9 wins in a season.
I think it depends on how we get there.
If we get two 9-3 or 8-4 seasons and three 5-7 seasons, I probably have a different attitude than it I have two 6-6 seasons and three 4-8 or 3-9 seasons.

It may even depend on the path.

If we got 8-4 and 9-3 over the next two seasons and then fall back to consecutive 5-7, 5-7 & 4-8, I probably have a different attitude then if we go 5-7, 5-7, 8-4, 9-3 & 4-8.

Do you keep that coach after that if he has a .400 record after 10 years

Considering that DB is currently at .400, if he is still .400 after another 5 years, I would likely say, "No." I would like to see him over 50% over the next 5 years.

Ok so let’s give every coach a decade and get 1 10 win season and 3 bowls and call it sucessful? Do you keep that coach after that if he has a .400 record after 10 years
Of course you do, it takes at least 15 years or 3 cycles of recruiting classes to build a successful team

are you really arguing that if the full roster had the benefit of working with the new coordinators and the younger players on the roster had the benefit of a spring and summer strength and conditioning program this team wouldn’t have performed better?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom