Admin.-anyone -Computer problem-related to this site-pretty sure. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Admin.-anyone -Computer problem-related to this site-pretty sure.

Install Gentoo, roll your own. ;)

Love busting on Windows admins.

Yeah well I may be a Windows Admin but I waved bye bye to Microslop and Winblows personally a long time ago. My work machine is a MacBook Air running Lion(best machine I've even owned, the solid state drive is next to godly) and I run Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion when I need my Windows tools. Gentoo is good if you have no desire for a personal life lol. Personally, for home, I like the bloated distros, must be my Windows background. Ubuntu desktops, TonidoPlug server w/ubuntu, and I like Mint as well. I know, I know, bloated, not customized, and pre-compiled 686 crapola right? Someday I might take the Gentoo plunge head on, for now i still prefer the hybrid platforms with their precompiled packages. I get all the power of Linux without all the headaches. Well that is until I decided to revive my Diablo 2 under Wine. Now there was a headache.

Yeah well I may be a Windows Admin but I waved bye bye to Microslop and Winblows personally a long time ago. My work machine is a MacBook Air running Lion(best machine I've even owned, the solid state drive is next to godly) and I run Windows 7 via VMWare Fusion when I need my Windows tools. Gentoo is good if you have no desire for a personal life lol. Personally, for home, I like the bloated distros, must be my Windows background. Ubuntu desktops, TonidoPlug server w/ubuntu, and I like Mint as well. I know, I know, bloated, not customized, and pre-compiled 686 crapola right? Someday I might take the Gentoo plunge head on, for now i still prefer the hybrid platforms with their precompiled packages. I get all the power of Linux without all the headaches. Well that is until I decided to revive my Diablo 2 under Wine. Now there was a headache.
Holy crap. Speak English. :D

Yeah well I may be a Windows Admin...
When I built my wife's PC a couple years ago it was the first "modern" CPU we had in the house, 64-bit quad core, and I made the box dual boot simply so I could watch Gentoo install and then build the entire KDE package from scratch. Ahhh thing of beauty. I was working for a startup at the time and our boxes were all Gentoo 64-bit, and I had put it onto an old PC in the house running a Pentium III 850 (!!!) with the good ol' 440BX chipset and all. Building things on that box was a decidedly less impressive effort.

Once I'd had my fun I showed her Gentoo, and I don't think she ever booted into it again. Alas.

Building things on that box was a decidedly less impressive effort.

Yeah I would think so lolololol. If you really need a challenge I think I've still got an AMD K6-2 with working mobo and memory. If you start today you might get a console login by Thankgiving!!!

I want to thank everyone for their solutions. Putting the Firefox add-on "No Script" worked-all I needed to do was install it then restart the computer. Thank all of you so much.

Now let's beat UConn!

I usually recommend that people simply get a Mac. Most ignore that due to the upfront costs. After running their machines without separate accounts and without admin privileges their kids will have done a great job in rendering the machine unusable. Then, after paying for anti-virus software, someone else to cleanup their machine, and taking into account the lost time and aggravation some later admit that they may not have chosen wisely. The worst part is that they'll repeat the entire experience.

The lack of a reasonably priced means of doing a clean re-install (especially after an OS upgrade) should be enough to chase people away as well.

I'll get off the soapbox now. :)

Go Orange!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom