Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

I read this once a year. Been saving it for the end of season just in case this happened.

When I get back to the hotel from the late game tonight I’m going to fire up a j and pull it up. That way if I choke up a little nobody will see me. Lol

Since I was a little kid Syracuse basketball has been a huge part of my life and, specifically, my relationship with my mother and that is only because of what JB had built when she became a fan.

Thank ya, JB.

It was time but very sad. When I was 7 (in 1976) we were coming from my cousin’s house one night and my dad had a basketball game on. As we pulled into the driveway my dad said he was staying in the car until the next commercial. I sat with him. It’s really one of my first sports memories. SU won and my father went on to tell me what a big win that was for SU. For them to travel to Louisville and win was a huge accomplishment. That was JB’s 4th game. I’m now almost 55 and he’s been the author of so many great memories for my dad, son, grandson, and me.

Just hard to wrap my head around that he won’t be on the bench next season. You’ll always be the best in my house coach! You've been a HUGE part of my life.

I was three sheets to the wind in Atlantis when I met GMac and Red. Asked Red to take a picture of GMac and I while I rambled about how much I loved him and the whole time I can’t get the camera on my phone to work

I go “man I’m so sorry I’ve been drinking since my plane landed down here.” Red said to me “As you should be.”

It was so damn cool. I hit people with that line all of the time now.

I’m all the way in based on that interaction alone. Let’s win some damn games.
As good a reason as any to back Red!!!

There have been 4027 days from 2/27/12-3/8/23.
As of this moment, you average 10.08 posts per day (40,602/4,027). But more important, you average 20.73 likes per day.

Get a life, man.
Good lord. Delete that post before my wife sees.

Your numbers don’t account for a sabbatical I gave myself for nearly a year as well.

I’m kind of embarrassed now.

Yup. Todays press conference appears to be JBs way of saying “what is coming today wasn’t my idea”. The word “retirement” is not included in that release….so you know what it wasn’t.

Sad that JBs endorsement of Red could not be included or would not be included. That’s too bad.

In a few years JB will regret how this played out. He left in a spiteful manner. I hope he issues a statement supporting Red at some point soon.

If not, it will be petty. He’s pouring gasoline on his legacy and tossing in a match.
Agree. Thamels story has sources close to the program and they note final timing on decision wasn’t made until this afternoon post game. That says it all.

I was a freshman at RIT when Boeheim started his coaching career. He put Syracuse basketball on the map. If not for JB, our big games every year might still be St. Bonaventure & Canisius. Thank you Jim Boeheim for making SU basketball so special for me my entire life. And for the record, those that are concerned about Autry as the HC, don’t forget that when Danforth left, no one thought JB was the answer either.

It’s one of the things I’m concerned about. Seems unpolished in regards to taking to press etc.

I could care less how he handles press conferences. It’s not complicated. You either no how to talk or you don’t.

I only care if he wins games.

I find statues a little on the creepy side in a general sense but I wonder if they’ll build one of JB outside the Dome eventually.

Not sure what I feel. A mixture of sadness, disappointment, appreciation and excitement.

I will always be grateful to James Arthur Boeheim for what he has done for Syracuse University (and me too). Hard to get my head around the fact that he will never coach at SU again. I hope JAB has a great retirement and I hope if he wants a role at SU that the university hooks him up with a position to his liking. Honestly, he would be a fantastic analyst on TV and I suspect he will get a lot of offers to get into that field. I wonder if he will accept one? I hope so. Would be great to hear his thoughts on college basketball and games of interest.

I haven’t had many interactions with Coach Autry but the ones I have had have always been cordial. He seems to be a good guy. I wonder how easily he will adapt to being in charge of the program? He will probably have to be the ‘bad cop’ a lot more than he has to date.

When Judah was a crying uncontrollably on the bench after the game ended today, it was Coach Autry who walked over and consoled him. It was Coach Autry who gentlest helped him up and got him to the locker room. I believe he played a big role in getting Judah here and that they are close. Hope they helps convince Judah to stay at Syracuse for another season. JM is going to be exhibit A for how well ADrian can recruit. Let’s hope he can help make it happen.

Regarding a staff, it will be interesting to see what Coach Autry does. Will he hire an all Syracuse staff?

Guessing Griff is likely to stay but I bet he will have other options if he wants to change locations.

Guessing GMac would leave for a HC job somewhere, even at a mid major. If no HC jobs are available, guessing he would stay. I believe he has been doing the scouting and game plans for basketball since Ho left and would be an important person for Adrian to retain.

Speaking of Coach Hop, Coach Autry played with him and later was coached by Hop. They also worked together on the staff at Syracuse. So the two of them are well acquainted. Heck, I bet they played against each other in practice a lot back in the day. It would be great to have a bench coach with some HC experience on the staff. Hop would be a good choice. Gotta think Hop is ready for a challenge in hte NBA and coming back home might not be want he wants but I know he loves the school and his alma mater needs him.

If no, wondering if James Johnson might be a candidate. He was on the VT staff with AA, eventually became their HC and got fired. Been an assistant for NC State for a few years now.

Ultimate though, I think coach Autry needs a young coach who will has strong AAU connections and will work his butt off to recruit HS players (and college players too).

Time to put aside personal preferences and circle the wagons around and support Coach Autry. Congrats Coach, we are rooting for you to do well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom