Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Adrian Autry to Take Helm of Men's Basketball as Jim Boeheim's Storied Career Comes to End

I read this once a year. Been saving it for the end of season just in case this happened.

When I get back to the hotel from the late game tonight I’m going to fire up a j and pull it up. That way if I choke up a little nobody will see me. Lol

Since I was a little kid Syracuse basketball has been a huge part of my life and, specifically, my relationship with my mother and that is only because of what JB had built when she became a fan.

Thank ya, JB.
Got me shedding a tear. Thanks for sharing.

Nearly 60 years ago, Jim Boeheim '66, G'73 first arrived on the Syracuse University campus as an undergraduate student and walk-on with the men's basketball team. Little did he know that six decades later, he'd be one of college basketball's winningest head coaches, a national champion, a Hall of Famer and one of the most prominent alumni in Syracuse University history. Today, as his 47th season coaching his alma mater comes to an end, so too does his storied career at Syracuse University. Associate Head Coach Adrian Autry '94, one of Boeheim's former players and longtime assistant, has been named the program's next head coach.

"There is no doubt in my mind that without Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Basketball would not be the powerhouse program it is today," says Chancellor Kent Syverud. "Jim has invested and dedicated the majority of his life to building this program, cultivating generations of student-athletes and representing his alma mater with pride and distinction. I extend my deep appreciation and gratitude to an alumnus who epitomizes what it means to be 'Forever Orange.'"

In addition to the national title he and the 2003 team brought home during his 47 years as Syracuse's head coach, the Orange has made 35 trips to the NCAA Tournament, including Final Four appearances in 1987, 1996, 2003, 2013 and 2016. Boeheim, a four-time BIG EAST Coach of the Year, has been honored as National Association of Basketball Coaches District II Coach of the Year 10 times and United States Basketball Writers Association District II Coach of the Year on four occasions.

"I have spent my entire career surrounded by the biggest and best names in professional and intercollegiate athletics. Few people are on the same playing field as Coach Boeheim," says John Wildhack '80, director of athletics. "Jim Boeheim is synonymous with excellence, grit and determination. Jim is a rare breed of coach, building a program that is among the best in college basketball for nearly five decades. I am incredibly grateful for what he has done for Syracuse Basketball, Syracuse Athletics and Syracuse University as a whole."
Jake and a few others called it.

JB deserves a great retirement. He doesn’t need to accomplish anything else. He always wanted to prove others wrong and he did very well for 47 years at that. Can’t thank him enough for his achievements and what he has done for our community…

Moving forward, I promise you all when you get to see Red how I’ve been able to see him and play golf with him and everything like that, I truly can’t think of a better guy, better candidate or better ambassador for this program to take control. This is great greeat news and you all will come to love him I promise you that. He takes a genuine interest in everyone. He is everything you want from being engaging and being supportive to alums, fans but most importantly the players. They absolutely love him. He is going to work harder than anyone you can imagine because he knows how truly special his opportunity is. Please support him and Go orange !

As someone who went to basketball games at Manley under coach Danforth, I’m a little misty right now. It was a great run. I had a fond “brush with greatness“ moment when I played basketball at Henninger and coach Boeheim and coach Fine would show up at the school gym after our summer league games with a couple of SU players like Chris Jerebko, Dale Shackelford, Danny Schayes, Marty Headd and I think Marty Byrnes was there once and I got an opportunity to play (get my ass kicked) against these guys while Coach Boeheim watched.
Anyway, that was a thrill for a 15, 16 year old and now the reins have been handed off to Red. As has been said, Red is the new Orange. I’m excited for him. Met him and Gerry Mac once at a practice and they were very accommodating and good ambassadors for the program. I really do think a new energy and creative wind will be blowing through the program and I hope it’s successful in filling the dome again. It will be interesting to see Coach Autry operating unfettered and self-directed. Sorry so long-winded and rambling I have some stirring memories of all the program’s milestones under Boeheim. I’ve waited 47 years to say all this. Carry on smartly everyone and Go Orange!
Yep. I remember that sports coat. When he coached the freshman team. I'm old.

I think we need to remember that the same traits that got us so PO'd off with him at the end are also why he was an HOF coach. You take the bad with the good, and the good far outweighed the bad.

Pretty telling that the word "retire" is not used in the press release. I really hope they all can smooth things over quickly and make this as dignified as possible.
very telling, not using the word "retire"

Few of us ever get to write a storybook finish for ourselves. The way things ended for Jim today should in no way diminish his historically impactful career and life on and off court. I wish him the best, thank him for the countless memories, and will be forever grateful to have been a witness to the Boeheim era. I think Red will prove to be a fine successor, and I will fully support him as he leads the program's next chapter.

It's because a SYR grad is the host, David Muir, the man has pull on the content
Ehhhh, not sure about that, I’m assuming they mentioned K, JB is no slouch with him being second all time in wins.

I’ve said a lot of negative things about JW lately, but it’s clear Jim did not want to retire and yet an hour after the season Red is the new coach because JW knew it was time. Props to JW to not folding and doing what was best for Syracuse University.
Agree, it took some big cajones. I’m very happy to see Wildhack didn’t allow this to continue. I just hope he’s making the right call with Red.

JB deserves a great retirement. He doesn’t need to accomplish anything else. He always wanted to prove others wrong and he did very well for 47 years at that. Can’t thank him enough for his achievements and what he has done for our community…

Moving forward, I promise you all when you get to see Red how I’ve been able to see him and play golf with him and everything like that, I truly can’t think of a better guy, better candidate or better ambassador for this program to take control. This is great greeat news and you all will come to love him I promise you that. He takes a genuine interest in everyone. He is everything you want from being engaging and being supportive to alums, fans but most importantly the players. They absolutely love him. He is going to work harder than anyone you can imagine because he knows how truly special his opportunity is. Please support him and Go orange !
Your posts about Red have gotten me excited for weeks. I’m super pumped and excited for him. He’s one of us and should be supported. Can’t wait to cheer him on

Hopefully your golf games get to continue.

Agree, it took some big cajones. I’m very happy to see Wildhack didn’t allow this to continue. I just hope he’s making the right call with Red.
big lebowski bowling GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom