AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Quite a bit of twitter buzz today / tonight (also Meltzer reporting) that there are serious issues right now between MJF and Tony Khan / AEW. Apparently he may not wrestle tomorrow night on the PPV... a work or not ... seems that most are suggesting the issues are probably not a work.

I thought the build towards this PPV has been weaker than other previous ones. I blame it mostly on the large roster size, which has made the selection of matches to show on Dynamite seemingly a bit of a mish mash. They have done a great job on the MJF/Wardlow stuff, but many other things seemed to be rushed at the end. They just don't have enough time right now to fully develop and let things breathe as they are doing it -- something they were doing well earlier.

I'm sure they will deliver a very good PPV with quality wrestling, with the only issue being that it is too spotty at times. But they really need to get the roster size a bit more in order -- Tony Khan has to get a little more selective -- there are many great wrestlers out there and he can't have them all!
Yes, there's no doubt that the roster is too unwieldy. Tony wants some of the wrestlers to become part of the ROH roster. However, unless/until he gets streaming and/or TV slots for ROH, the glut will continue.

Too many wrestlers, too many story lines that are impossible to keep straight. Don't think they massively need to cut back. They've allowed some contracts to expire. Just think they should stop adding new wrestlers. He definitely loves the shiny new toy.

MJF showed up as expected, and he is getting nuclear heat (along with "he showed up" chants).
Screenshot_20220529-201044_Twitter.jpg

10 powerbombs. Squash match. Wardlow is now...
Screenshot_20220529-201934_Twitter.jpg

MJF stretchered out. It'll be interesting to see what happens while MJF is "out due to injury." Do they come to terms, or do they grant him his release?

10 powerbombs. Squash match. Wardlow is now...
View attachment 217468
MJF stretchered out. It'll be interesting to see what happens while MJF is "out due to injury." Do they come to terms, or do they grant him his release?
They're not bleeping giving him his release and handing him to WWE. His contract expires on Jan. 1 2024. Not sure if they have that WWE provision where they can 'freeze' his contract.

They're not bleeping giving him his release and handing him to WWE. His contract expires on Jan. 1 2024. Not sure if they have that WWE provision where they can 'freeze' his contract.
I highly doubt that as well. They seem to be really off though. We shall see...

Was MJF threatening to no-show a work? I mean he did show up.
No. At least not originally. They even removed any ad content relating to the match until they reached an agreement.

However, once he and Tony Khan reached some kind of deal yesterday afternoon, they played it up some. He didn't come right out when his music played last night. He mimicked a plane taking off.

Even the finish raised the question, would we ever see him again? MJF was stretchered out. Tony's not talking. That screams 'angle' to me. Although the plan always was for Wardlow to power-bomb the bleep out of him, and for him to be stretchered out.

MJF is the best heel in the business, and he's now an even bigger heel.

Last edited:
No. At least not originally. They even removed any ad content relating to the match until they reached an agreement.

However, once he and Tony Khan reached some kind of deal yesterday afternoon, they played it up some. He didn't come right out when his music played last night. He mimicked a plane taking off.

Even the finish raised the question, would we ever see him again? MJF was stretchered out. Tony's not talking. That screams 'angle' to me. Although the plan always was for Wardlow to power-bomb the bleep out of him, and for him to be stretchered out.

MJF is the best heel in the business, and he's now an even bigger heel.

It's fantastic. As I've gotten older, like many, I appreciate and enjoy the heels more. It's hard to be a good heel and always have heat from the crowd. MJF is masterful and his persona away from the ring keeps the heat on him.

It's fantastic. As I've gotten older, like many, I appreciate and enjoy the heels more. It's hard to be a good heel and always have heat from the crowd. MJF is masterful and his persona away from the ring keeps the heat on him.
He’s like the one heel who I both think is amazing and hate his guts and root against him every match.

Every other great heel who earned all my respect, I rooted for.

Their pay-per-view was long bit overall very good. Tony purchased an extra hour for Owen Hart's widow as he wasn't sure how long she'd speak, so he threw in some more matches.

Last night's Dynamite was one of their better ones in my opinion. If you haven't seen MJF's promo.. you need to.

Their pay-per-view was long bit overall very good. Tony purchased an extra hour for Owen Hart's widow as he wasn't sure how long she'd speak, so he threw in some more matches.

Last night's Dynamite was one of their better ones in my opinion. If you haven't seen MJF's promo.. you need to.
I know it was a 'work' promo. However, he has a point. Tony is bringing on way too many non-difference makers from WWE. Betcha he isn't the only one in the company who feels that way.

Tony seems obsessed with proving that WWE misused their talent. I think it's cluttering an already-cluttered roster of great talent.

I don’t think it was a good idea personally:

coming off your most successful PPV, you’re positioning the company as the “bad guys”? Most of the WWE signings have worked out. The company is a pretty good balance of “homegrown” and ex-WWE, IMO.

And we’ve seen bad guy company/owner vs. wrestler too many times to count. It’s not interesting to me anymore.

Not to mention it pretty much erased what Wardlow did. MJF leaves on a stretcher with a neck brace, and then he’s doing that the next day?

Yeah, 'no-selling' the beating just exposed the business too much. I'd have loved to see him do the Bobby Heenan neck-brace gimmick for months.
Right. If he comes out in a neckbrace and makes some classic MJF coward excuses first and then goes into the contract, anti-company stuff….I think I would’ve liked that better.

We’ll see where it goes.

Will be interesting to see how the CM Punk injury changes things
There will be a Battle Royal to kickoff Dynamite. The winner will take on Mox (#1 contender) in the main event that same night. The winner will get a shot at the interim AEW World Championship at Forbidden Door (probably vs Tanahashi).

There will be a Battle Royal to kickoff Dynamite. The winner will take on Mox (#1 contender) in the main event that same night. The winner will get a shot at the interim AEW World Championship at Forbidden Door (probably vs Tanahashi).
Yes but I mean how they play it out, and with whom - and who may or may not interject themselves into it

Yes but I mean how they play it out, and with whom - and who may or may not interject themselves into it
I'd guess they will leave out guys like Wardlow.

Also, it looked like Scorpio Sky injured himself too. Hope he isn't out too long.

Since MJF's Dynamite promo, he was removed from the official AEW roster and AEW shop. MJF was removed from Friday's Rampage intro, and he hasn't been mentioned on their socials since that Wednesday night promo. Most recently, there was an edict issued from Warner Bros to remove MJF from all AEW promotional spots and commercials.

Can’t help but think that within months of his arrival, WWE would have MJF jobbing to some big lunkhead stiffs on Raw every week, while feeding the dirt sheets stories about how he doesn’t know how to work “WWE style” or some BS.

Can’t help but think that within months of his arrival, WWE would have MJF jobbing to some big lunkhead stiffs on Raw every week, while feeding the dirt sheets stories about how he doesn’t know how to work “WWE style” or some BS.

Not so sure about that.
Based on what I have seen with Cody Rhodes, WWE has pushed him hard, and he has been the biggest star on RAW since WM38.

I think MJF would could get the same treatment. If anything the issue with Cody was over-exposure on an otherwise stale program, and his injury will allow him to keep the heat longer.

Of course he could get buried as well.

NXT days before AEW...
Screenshot_20220606-204758_Chrome.jpg

AEW is adding another belt.. All Atlantic Championship...

To go along with...
AEW World Champion
AEW Women's World Champion
AEW World Tag Team Champions
TNT Champion
TBS Champion
FTW Champion
AAA Tag Team Champions
ROH Tag Team Champions
ROH World TV Champion
ROH Pure Champion
ROH Women's World Champion
ROH World Champion (technically not on AEW right now)

Tony needs to get that TV deal lined up for ROH.

Jeff Hardy was arrested again (last night-- 3 days before the ladder match)...

It has been said before, but he still needs help. WWE tried before he jumped ship to AEW.