AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Was just thinking about where AEW started and where it’s at now: they don’t even need Jericho or Cody to carry any kind of load anymore. Those guys were the franchise to start, and now neither one needs to carry any kind of load on a regular basis.

Because they’re making wrestling stars.

MJF is made. Wardlow is just about made, and will be made by MJF.

Page is awfully good physically….I think they can make him even further with good booking going forward.

Keith Lee - they’re just letting him do his thing.

Punk is a good match machine and is making people.

Moxley is sober and rejuvenated.

Miro was on a roll before he got hurt.

Jeff Hardy will be there soon, which will be fun even though he’s just about done.

Bryan is Bryan.

Sammy G still had greatness potential.

Jade is getting better, and Britt is a star.

They’ve done such a good job of making new stars, and of getting Bryan and Punk and utilizing them correctly.

Bryan and Punk alone would be enough to make them better than WWE….that was by far the two most beloved and interesting and best performing WWE main event guys in the past decade.
This.. a couple more that I would also include Darby Allin and Malakai Black (one that there should have been no way WWE messed up on with character/storyline)! Although, Malakai is starting a tag storyline with the House of Black.

Speaking of tag teams.. their men's tag teams are legit and pretty deep... Young Bucks, Lucha Bros (think Rey Fenix escaped major injury), FTR, Santana & Ortiz, Jungle Express (current champs but not even close to best tag team in AEW), ReDragon, The Acclaimed, Best Friends, Private Party, Butcher and Blade, etc.

Also, they have some really good factions...
Inner Circle, The Pinnacle, The Elite, Death Triangle, Dark Order, Team Taz, Nightmare Family, Andrade/Hardy Family Office, Orange Cassidy/Best Friends, Christian/Jungle Express, Gunn Club, etc.

This.. a couple more that I would also include Darby Allin and Malakai Black (one that there should have been no way WWE messed up on with character/storyline)! Although, Malakai is starting a tag storyline with the House of Black.

Speaking of tag teams.. their men's tag teams are legit and pretty deep... Young Bucks, Lucha Bros (think Rey Fenix escaped major injury), FTR, Santana & Ortiz, Jungle Express (current champs but not even close to best tag team in AEW), ReDragon, The Acclaimed, Best Friends, Private Party, Butcher and Blade, etc.

Also, they have some really good factions...
Inner Circle, The Pinnacle, The Elite, Death Triangle, Dark Order, Team Taz, Nightmare Family, Andrade/Hardy Family Office, Orange Cassidy/Best Friends, Christian/Jungle Express, Gunn Club, etc.
Varsity Blondes w Julia Hart are fun mid carders

I think it's time for Tony to prune the roster fairly significantly. There's no way that he can keep all of those people in meaningful positions, not with only three hours of prime time a week. At least not w/o a busier touring schedule.

And it's not all bad should he do so. Some of those he would cut will make out just fine on the indy circuit and/or with Impact or ROH. Plus they'd likely still be available for him to use should he find a need for them.

I think it's time for Tony to prune the roster fairly significantly. There's no way that he can keep all of those people in meaningful positions, not with only three hours of prime time a week. At least not w/o a busier touring schedule.

And it's not all bad should he do so. Some of those he would cut will make out just fine on the indy circuit and/or with Impact or ROH. Plus they'd likely still be available for him to use should he find a need for them.
ROH is on "hiatus". Agreed they need to trim the roster though.

ROH is on "hiatus". Agreed they need to trim the roster though.
They're coming back. In March, I think. Their plan is to not have a signed roster, but to function primarily as a 'super-indie'. A perfect spot for some of AEW's excess talent.

It's official. Cody and Brandi Rhodes will not be returning to AEW. They just tweeted out the news this morning.
As a fan...I’m glad to see it. I just didn’t want to see Brandi on TV anymore outside of being a valet. And Cody was meandering without a direction for awhile now.

clearly there was some infighting going on with Cody and the Bucks/Omega in real life. I know there were rumors, but feels like it might have been a bigger deal than reported

As a fan...I’m glad to see it. I just didn’t want to see Brandi on TV anymore outside of being a valet. And Cody was meandering without a direction for awhile now.

clearly there was some infighting going on with Cody and the Bucks/Omega in real life. I know there were rumors, but feels like it might have been a bigger deal than reported
Here's what's interesting, though. They both have reality shows on Turner that have been renewed. Not totally sure they end up back in WWE.

Cody was becoming HHH 2002-2003 in AEW.

Fans didn’t like him. He was getting legit Cena boos.
Not a big loss. AEW is stacked with talent. Cody isn’t a big loss.

Vince will overpay him. He will win the iC or US title. Get the initial rub and then he will be tagging with Miz and feud with or something.

I don’t watch anything WWE anymore. Not even DVR. I DVR dynamite which is well written and entertaining.

Cody get that Vince money. You will be sporting polka dots.

It's official. Cody and Brandi Rhodes will not be returning to AEW. They just tweeted out the news this morning.

They were probably the worst part of AEW in my view even if they had some good moments, Had become a "minor" version of HHH / Stephanie in certain regards in terms of being too prominent in the show at times and holding back others.

His talking segment about a month ago was cringy and confusing in many regards.

Tony Khan tonight announced that he has purchased Ring Of Honor. Does that mean that he'll retain the Sinclair network stations that have aired the product? Does that mean that he will improve the production values for ROH? Does that mean that he'll have more outlets for his stable to engage in on-air matches?

I assume it means that he'll have access to the ROH library, and there's been some great wrestling there. I assume it means that he will air the first ROH Hall of Fame Ceremony, which includes Punk, Danielson, Samoa Joe, The Briscos, and (I think) Nigel McGuiness.

Tony Khan tonight announced that he has purchased Ring Of Honor. Does that mean that he'll retain the Sinclair network stations that have aired the product? Does that mean that he will improve the production values for ROH? Does that mean that he'll have more outlets for his stable to engage in on-air matches?

I assume it means that he'll have access to the ROH library, and there's been some great wrestling there. I assume it means that he will air the first ROH Hall of Fame Ceremony, which includes Punk, Danielson, Samoa Joe, The Briscos, and (I think) Nigel McGuiness.
HBO Max will want the content and he turns ROH into AEW’s NXT.

That would be cool

HBO Max will want the content and he turns ROH into AEW’s NXT.

That would be cool
I wonder if he'll be the booker. I hope not. He's spreading himself awfully thin. Maybe someone like Jericho is looking to retire. I've heard several Jericho interviews, and he has a brilliant mind for booking and character development. Very creative. He'd be a natural.

As to HBO/Max, Brian Alvarez was thinking that Khan's announcement would be a tie-in with HBO Max. With the library and the live content, it'd be nice counter-programming to Peacock's WWE-centric programming. For a lot less cost.

I wonder if he'll be the booker. I hope not. He's spreading himself awfully thin. Maybe someone like Jericho is looking to retire. I've heard several Jericho interviews, and he has a brilliant mind for booking and character development. Very creative. He'd be a natural.

As to HBO/Max, Brian Alvarez was thinking that Khan's announcement would be a tie-in with HBO Max. With the library and the live content, it'd be nice counter-programming to Peacock's WWE-centric programming. For a lot less cost.
I only said HBO Max because of the Warner-TV tie in. TBS/TNT and HBO are all aligned.

I listened to Meltzer's analysis. He thinks the real immediate value is in the tape library and the streaming service. He makes a good point--running a wrestling promotion under the ROH banner makes little sense since AEW is by far the more popular brand and can attract more in-person fans and TV eyeballs.

Lots of questions remain as to whether there will be an increase in wrestling product. NXT proved that it was not economically feasible to tour as a so-called 'training' brand. I think AEW clearly needs an outlet to provide more work for both their up-and-coming wrestlers and the glut of main roster talent.

obviously AEW has better wrestling, better feuds, better shows, etc…..

But how did they manage to get better entrances? Like, WWF/E always owned the entrances over WCW.

But now? AEW basically has all the best entrances in wrestling at the moment.

I really enjoyed the show...but its LOOOONG. And I know its only 4 times a year, but I'd rather then do 6-8 PPVs and spilt the shows up. They have so many guys that are over with the crowd, but smashing them all into 5 hours is tricky. By the time the main came around, we've seen it all, and they still did a great main event.

I really enjoyed the show...but its LOOOONG. And I know its only 4 times a year, but I'd rather then do 6-8 PPVs and spilt the shows up. They have so many guys that are over with the crowd, but smashing them all into 5 hours is tricky. By the time the main came around, we've seen it all, and they still did a great main event.

I’m a 3 hour PPV guy. That’s the max. That’s also how long football games should take. 5 hours is ridiculous.

Side note: I have no idea how people golf 18 holes. I’m only interested in doing anything for a few hours, max.

Jericho just went heel and has a new crew.

Moxley and Bryan are teaming up.

AEW is awesome. I haven’t enjoyed watching weekly wrestling shows on TV like this in like 15 years.

Jericho just went heel and has a new crew.

Moxley and Bryan are teaming up.

AEW is awesome. I haven’t enjoyed watching weekly wrestling shows on TV like this in like 15 years.
And the brothers reunited. It was only a matter of time...

Quite a bit of twitter buzz today / tonight (also Meltzer reporting) that there are serious issues right now between MJF and Tony Khan / AEW. Apparently he may not wrestle tomorrow night on the PPV... a work or not ... seems that most are suggesting the issues are probably not a work.

I thought the build towards this PPV has been weaker than other previous ones. I blame it mostly on the large roster size, which has made the selection of matches to show on Dynamite seemingly a bit of a mish mash. They have done a great job on the MJF/Wardlow stuff, but many other things seemed to be rushed at the end. They just don't have enough time right now to fully develop and let things breathe as they are doing it -- something they were doing well earlier.

I'm sure they will deliver a very good PPV with quality wrestling, with the only issue being that it is too spotty at times. But they really need to get the roster size a bit more in order -- Tony Khan has to get a little more selective -- there are many great wrestlers out there and he can't have them all!