AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

Would have liked a better ending to the Bryan/Omega match, but I understand why they did a great match with no finish to set up a likely PPV. But you could find worse ways to get out of an ending (WWE!), so its not that bad.
Yeah, I kinda figured we’d get a draw. They already had Christian beat Omega in the first match in their feud so they couldn’t really do that again. And yeah, this sets up the PPV match.

But I agree that match was great!

I mean, they gotta do a Hart/Austin style switch with Black/Rhodes right?

Black is cool. He’s a bad ass. Cody is kinda corny as a face, and has always been a better heel. The fans are trying to will it. AEW fans generally have been cheering for the faces. They haven’t been trying to hi Jack the shows like WWE fans often do.

They should be listened to here.

The finish did suck, but it was kinda inevitable, and the match was just unbelievable.

I didn't stay for the whole Rampage taping, but that was a really fun show last night. Venue was amazing, and Bryan-Kenny was one of the best live matches I've ever seen. (My list, if anyone cares, is is the triple threat from Royal Rumble 2015, Bayley-Sasha from the first Takeover in Brooklyn, Cena-Styles from Summerslam 2016, and Revival vs DIY from NXT in 2016)

I mean, they gotta do a Hart/Austin style switch with Black/Rhodes right?

Black is cool. He’s a bad ass. Cody is kinda corny as a face, and has always been a better heel. The fans are trying to will it. AEW fans generally have been cheering for the faces. They haven’t been trying to hi Jack the shows like WWE fans often do.

They should be listened to here.
Agreed. Black had a great character in NXT but not surprisingly misused when moved up to the main roster. He was about to add to it and start a new storyline (basically what he is doing now in AEW). But you know... WWE "creative."

That Arn promo!! Lol! That was amazing.

I'm actually going to disagree a bit, because throughout his whole hit on Cody I was thinking how Arn messed up last week.

Was the delivery great? Yes
Were the words great? Yes
In the proper context was the promo great. Absolutely.

But the promo did not really fit in the context of what happened last week. It was almost WWE-esque in that aspect - i.e. fans forgot what happened before today.

The ending to the match last week was at best strange (not Roman/Finn strange mind you). No idea why they scripted Arn to get up on the ropes like that twice. And in the story of that match that was a huge factor in what actually cost Cody. The script made Arn look a bit stupid -- it made Arn look a little weak as a leader when he hurts his wrestler so much. Not sure why AEW would go in that direction.

Now this week they come back with Arn going at Cody and calling him a loser -- flipping him from weak last week to now a super "strong" leader. It weakens the promo greatly in my view when you consider Arn's role in Cody's loss last week.

I am sure that Cody/Arn will end up working quite well either way, and this small thing that bothered me will be shortly forgotten. .

Last edited:
I'm actually going to disagree a bit, because throughout his whole hit on Cody I was thinking how Arn messed up last week.

Was the delivery great? Yes
Were the words great? Yes
In the proper context was the promo great. Absolutely.

But the promo did not really fit in the context of what happened last week. It was almost WWE-esque in that aspect - i.e. fans forgot what happened before today.

The ending to the match last week was at best strange (not Roman/Finn strange mind you). No idea why they scripted Arn to get up on the ropes like that twice. And in the story of that match that was a huge factor in what actually cost Cody. The script made Arn look a bit stupid -- it made Arn look a little weak as a leader when he hurts his wrestler so much. Not sure why AEW would go in that direction.

Now this week they come back with Arn going at Cody and calling him a loser -- flipping him from weak last week to now a super "strong" leader. It weakens the promo greatly in my view when you consider Arn's role in Cody's loss last week.

I am sure that Cody/Arn will end up working quite well either way, and this small thing that bothered me will be shortly forgotten. .

I'm not totally sure (I was at the show live, didn't hear the commentary) but I'm not sure they did? I wonder if the e first time he got up and fell it was a shoot. It seemed so awkward.

I'm not totally sure (I was at the show live, didn't hear the commentary) but I'm not sure they did? I wonder if the e first time he got up and fell it was a shoot. It seemed so awkward.

I think the fall was unintwntional. But that was not my problem.

But it was more his getting up on the ring apron in the first place from two sides of the ring. It made Arn look a little silly as didn’t make much sense.

Anyway I am overthinking it … and the one thing you can’t do as a wrestlign fan is 100% overthink it.

I think the fall was unintwntional. But that was not my problem.

But it was more his getting up on the ring apron in the first place from two sides of the ring. It made Arn look a little silly as didn’t make much sense.

Anyway I am overthinking it … and the one thing you can’t do as a wrestlign fan is 100% overthink it.
1636818726487.png

Just watching the AEW show now.
Surprised that they apparently made a quick heel turn for Daniel Bryan via his comments to Page.

I suppose when you have characters that the fans are so invested in like Page, making a turn can be quickly and rather easily done and still be effective.

Just watching the AEW show now.
Surprised that they apparently made a quick heel turn for Daniel Bryan via his comments to Page.

I suppose when you have characters that the fans are so invested in like Page, making a turn can be quickly and rather easily done and still be effective.
Watching it now too. What a start to the show! Page was great on the mic.

AEW is awesome right now.

Danielson heeling it up has been incredible. He’s been brutalizing people in the ring. Page is doing great on the mic and extremely over.

Punk-MJF has been awesome. Punk calling him a “less famous Miz”…lololol.

Baker is awesome.

Top of the card is strong, and they’re giving a lot of people things to do and making them seem important in their role. Biggest difference between WWE, who is incapable of making it seem like more than 5-6 people matter.

I’m shocked that they actually have something in Hook.
I got the ironic character Hook deal...but he’s actually good..and different. Wrestles different. Doesn’t talk. almost a combo of Taz and Goldberg. But young.

really interested to see where they go with him.

AEW is so much better than the Grattiude Era WWE is in.
It’s not even close. WWE is AWFUL. Even the PPV’s suck now.

Completely wasting so many talents.

I was pretty much done with them once they threw Cesaro in the bushes after his one title match. Not only can they not build any stars or feuds - they can’t even fill PPV cards with a bunch of solid but meaningless hoss fights anymore.

It’s not even close. WWE is AWFUL. Even the PPV’s suck now.

Completely wasting so many talents.

I was pretty much done with them once they threw Cesaro in the bushes after his one title match. Not only can they not build any stars or feuds - they can’t even fill PPV cards with a bunch of solid but meaningless hoss fights anymore.
All you have to do is watch what aew did with Keith Lee in that match tonight Vs what wwe did. How can you that guy up?

All you have to do is watch what aew did with Keith Lee in that match tonight Vs what wwe did. How can you that guy up?
That was a Keith Lee NXT match. AEW didn't do anything new with him. Same name, same look, same chants from the crowd.

How can you mess that up? Call him up to the main roster for Vince and his backstage "creative" stooges.

Was just thinking about where AEW started and where it’s at now: they don’t even need Jericho or Cody to carry any kind of load anymore. Those guys were the franchise to start, and now neither one needs to carry any kind of load on a regular basis.

Because they’re making wrestling stars.

MJF is made. Wardlow is just about made, and will be made by MJF.

Page is awfully good physically….I think they can make him even further with good booking going forward.

Keith Lee - they’re just letting him do his thing.

Punk is a good match machine and is making people.

Moxley is sober and rejuvenated.

Miro was on a roll before he got hurt.

Jeff Hardy will be there soon, which will be fun even though he’s just about done.

Bryan is Bryan.

Sammy G still had greatness potential.

Jade is getting better, and Britt is a star.

They’ve done such a good job of making new stars, and of getting Bryan and Punk and utilizing them correctly.

Bryan and Punk alone would be enough to make them better than WWE….that was by far the two most beloved and interesting and best performing WWE main event guys in the past decade.