AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

AEW Thread: A Real Alternative To WWE?

I’m rooting for NXT to flop, since they clearly pulled this move to try to cut down AEW.

They already got 5 hours of Raw/Smackdown on TV every week - and at least 3 1/2 of them are usually boring/bad. Enough is enough.
The thing is as well it’s not because they have gone PG either.
The 1980s was PG Era and Vince knew how to book and get people over.

AEW needs to work on getting guys/gals over but I am confident they will. They have plans.

Vince picks one guy nowadays and goes all in with them. He thinks putting people on TV is giving them a push nowadays. When that doesn’t get people over.
Vince ruined Strawman. The guy had a chance to be legit draw but he always has him lose when he needed a win. Now he is done.
Rollins has talent in the ring but to kiss Vince’s a$$ has lost all his momentum.
Same for Becky who has nuclear over and Vince has ruined her by turning her into the establishment when that was the opposite of how she got over.

Nobody is over except legends nowadays.
You got guys like Ricohet or Alister Black who have potential but get 50/50 booking.
Kofi is the champion and he doesn’t draw.
Lesnar is so boring he is like the old box factory joke on the Simpsons when it was funny and Vince keeps bringing him back.

AEW has a chance fans actually want storylines. Vince and his idea of sports entertainment is so stale.

The thing is as well it’s not because they have gone PG either.
The 1980s was PG Era and Vince knew how to book and get people over.

AEW needs to work on getting guys/gals over but I am confident they will. They have plans.

Vince picks one guy nowadays and goes all in with them. He thinks putting people on TV is giving them a push nowadays. When that doesn’t get people over.
Vince ruined Strawman. The guy had a chance to be legit draw but he always has him lose when he needed a win. Now he is done.
Rollins has talent in the ring but to kiss Vince’s a$$ has lost all his momentum.
Same for Becky who has nuclear over and Vince has ruined her by turning her into the establishment when that was the opposite of how she got over.

Nobody is over expect legends nowadays.
You got guys like Ricohet or Alister Black who have potential but get 50/50 booking.
Kofi is the champion and he doesn’t draw.
Lesnar is so boring he is like the old box factory joke on the Simpsons when it was funny and Vince keeps bringing him back.

AEW has a chance fans actually want storylines. Vince and his idea of sports entertainment is so stale.

I mostly agree. A lot of vulgarity of the attitude era was mostly unnecessary and unappealing to me. I’m not asking for a return to that at all, and anyone who is doesn’t really “get” wrestling in the first place IMO.

It was more about how they let guys cut loose more on the promo’s/characters. Now it’s all way too scripted and they seem to intentionally cool guys off with untimely losses. They almost never know when to pull the trigger on title runs.

One of the best feuds ever to me was Jericho/Michaels in 2008 and that was PG era. The NWO stuff back in 96-97 was PG.

I thought the Adam Page/PAC match was very disappointing...and slow. Took the crowd energy down. Even JR mentioned it. Show opened and closed real strong, but it definitely had some pacing issues.
unfortunately for me, its the only match i saw

unfortunately for me, its the only match i saw

I tried to watch it a second time and found myself doing the same thing I did watching it live...bored and playing on my phone. The women’s title match wasn’t that good either.

Everything else was good though, and the show had an especially hot start, a great moment about midway through, and finished strong with an ending that really sets the tone for the show going forward (also with a surprise thrown in).

their timing is right . . . vince is distracted chasing his white whale (xfl)

I mostly agree. A lot of vulgarity of the attitude era was mostly unnecessary and unappealing to me. I’m not asking for a return to that at all, and anyone who is doesn’t really “get” wrestling in the first place IMO.

It was more about how they let guys cut loose more on the promo’s/characters. Now it’s all way too scripted and they seem to intentionally cool guys off with untimely losses. They almost never know when to pull the trigger on title runs.

One of the best feuds ever to me was Jericho/Michaels in 2008 and that was PG era. The NWO stuff back in 96-97 was PG.
You are correct.

Vince and his forcing every single wrestler follow scripts for every promo has killed mic skills.

These soap opera writers don’t write promos well and Vince is insistent nobody deviates for the scripts.

The old school guys just used to have bullet points they knew to talk about and showed what they had on the mic.

You are correct.

Vince and his forcing every single wrestler follow scripts for every promo has killed mic skills.

These soap opera writers don’t write promos well and Vince is insistent nobody deviates for the scripts.

The old school guys just used to have bullet points they knew to talk about and showed what they had on the mic.

So many times I hear promos and am reminded of the cut scenes from their “Raw vs. Smackdown” series I used to play.

I really thought/hoped it was turning when Punk did his “pipebomb” promo, but nope. They even screwed that angle up. Somehow that turned into a Kevin Nash comeback., lmao.

Vince has to be happy with this. But the test will be if they can keep it up without all the nostalgia stars like The Rock.

It will be interesting to see if people care about the MMA guy. Personally, I don’t.

Maybe they’ll find a way to make me care.

And beyond that, I’m wondering who can be that top face on the show? Possibly Owens, now that he’s seemingly done with that Shane nonsense?

Would've helped if he was in better shape. He looked like crap. I havent worked out in 3 years and have more muscle definition than him.

I am not an MMA/UFC fan. Never heard of the guy. When he came out, I was like - that's the guy who beat Lesnar?????

I am not an MMA/UFC fan. Never heard of the guy. When he came out, I was like - that's the guy who beat Lesnar?????

I just started getting into UFC and not too familiar with him. I looked him up, dude used to be in better shape, not like Brock but better, now he looks like a dad who picks his kids up from school.

Cain_Velasquez-415x285.jpg

Would've helped if he was in better shape. He looked like crap. I havent worked out in 3 years and have more muscle definition than him.

I didn’t watch or even see highlights yet, just read about it.

Personally I found Rousey boring and I’m glad that’s over, and I think the women’s division is way better off without her based on how they used her...so this guy has that going against him already, and that’s not even his fault.

Would be nice if WWE doesn’t pretend the guy from another sport is way better than all of their guys except for maybe 1.

Book him like they booked Shamrock back in the day, and he’ll probably be over. Book him like Superman, and the crowd will turn him heel by the Royal Rumble.

It was actually on the first UFC show on Fox in 2011 or 2012 the guy who came out Cain Velasquez beat Brock for the UFC heavyweight title.
This being the first show of WWE on Fox was why they did that.
Plus because Vince has those blood money shows in Saudi Arabia he needs has buckets of money to spend to give those shieks wrestlemania quality shows.
Lesnar- Velasquez would face off in Saudi Arabia if it happens book it.

I didn’t watch or even see highlights yet, just read about it.

Personally I found Rousey boring and I’m glad that’s over, and I think the women’s division is way better off without her based on how they used her...so this guy has that going against him already, and that’s not even his fault.

Would be nice if WWE doesn’t pretend the guy from another sport is way better than all of their guys except for maybe 1.

Book him like they booked Shamrock back in the day, and he’ll probably be over. Book him like Superman, and the crowd will turn him heel by the Royal Rumble.

Here is that segment. Honestly I was more impressed with Jack Swagger coming out on AEW. Not a fan of Lesnar at all.

Here is that segment. Honestly I was more impressed with Jack Swagger coming out on AEW. Not a fan of Lesnar at all.

Swagger is a perfect example of a guy with talent that never really got over in WWE. They tried for awhile, but then they made a joke of him way too many times and his last 6-7 years in the company were just pointless.

He’s physically imposing, can wrestle, and gives off a naturally heelish vibe IMO. Will be interesting to see if AEW can get him over.

Swagger is a perfect example of a guy with talent that never really got over in WWE. They tried for awhile, but then they made a joke of him way too many times and his last 6-7 years in the company were just pointless.

He’s physically imposing, can wrestle, and gives off a naturally heelish vibe IMO. Will be interesting to see if AEW can get him over.
50/50 booking killed him.
Swagger was over when he did his we the people gimmick with Zeb Coulter basically a precursor to the Trump campaign.

The guy doesn’t have mic skills but with a manager a la Dutch Mandell he can get over.

AEW commentators did a tremendous job putting their wrestlers over.
Vince on the headset has ruined his commentary teams.

JR knows how to get out of the way and make talent look good.

I think they can and are off to a great start with him. Granted there is a science to this stuff and at the end of the day it comes down to him. The way he came in and the hard cam stare was excellent. The next couple of weeks will be huge.

If WWE could get Nash over after Oz and Vinnie Vegas anybody can get over if it's done right and the talent is capable.

50/50 booking killed him.
Swagger was over when he did his we the people gimmick with Zeb Coulter basically a precursor to the Trump campaign.

The guy doesn’t have mic skills but with a manager a la Dutch Mandell he can get over.

AEW commentators did a tremendous job putting their wrestlers over.
Vince on the headset has ruined his commentary teams.

JR knows how to get out of the way and make talent look good.

Maybe it's my late teens talking but JR and Tony together is like a dream team to me and better than anything WWE could ever put out there.

All that said they have credibility and sound smart in a scripted business which brings legitmacy to what they say and can get guys over right away.

With Cain not being signed by WWE is it just me or does this seem like a monumental opportunity for AEW to do something to really amp up this rivalry.

Didn't Swagger get in trouble for accidentally hurting people, or not protecting people, in the ring?

Don't know if Cain will be a one-off or not, but he and Lesnar are wrestling in Saudi Arabia.

The thing that WWE can't do week after week is 'hot-shot'. We all know that nostalgia pops are always short-term. Yes, the rating on Smackdown was very good, although it was actually lower than the rating for the same Friday last year when Fox premiered two new shows. I really wonder how much of that first week's audience they will retain. I expect the falloff to be steep.