After this weekend's blowout... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

After this weekend's blowout...

The question isn't whether Saturday was a moral victory (it wasn't). The question is, for the 11 remaining games, can SU win more than they lose (on the field)?

Based on the offense I saw Saturday, and knowing that some important pieces are coming back from injury soon, I think the answer is yes. But we've so often seen this program crap out against Big East schedules, when we so often think those other Big East teams are so bad, that it's hard to know.

I know people are excited for this weekend, but right now all eyes are on that Minnesota game. You assume we go in there 1-2. It's a team that has been worse than Northwestern in recent years. We should have the missing pieces back by then, and hopefully not lose anymore (knock on wood). But it's also a night road game against a school in a big boy conference, and those are never easy.

If we lose the Minnesota game, it's going to be a big uphill battle from there to be a bowl team.

Agreed. Was hoping to get out of September 3-1 but 2-2 was my expectation.

Minny is now a must win.

This is a rational response. Let me tell you why I disagree.

1. beamer took over a VT program that was an independent. program was nothing.

2. Grobe? He barely has a .500 record at Wake and his ACC conf record is horrible. We can agree to disagree, but this isnt "respectable." Is this what we are paying Marrone a $1M to achieve? I would need to confirm this, but i believe that in 11 seasons he has been ranked in the top 20 only once.

3. snyder is a special talent. having learned from Fry, his lineage is no joke. i think i read somewhere that no fewer than nine of snyder's assistants have gone on to be head coaches.

Anyway, i appreciate that you didnt threaten me with violence or call me names. You must not be from upstate NY.

Spent 56 years born, raised, educated, employed in NYS, 38 of them Upstate. I don't think moving to NC in 2006 mellowed me any.....

Wouldn't you agree that the program Marrone took over was, like VT, "nothing" if not awful?

Grobe went 11-3, 9-4, 8-5 after those first 5 seasons. Wouldn't we all love to see that after Marrone's first 5? Grobe being able to make a smallish private school's FB program respectable has led to numerous coaching offers.

You extolled Snyder's virtues/abilities/lineage, but didn't address why one shouldn't give Marrone the same leash of time...

The question isn't whether Saturday was a moral victory (it wasn't). The question is, for the 11 remaining games, can SU win more than they lose (on the field)?

Based on the offense I saw Saturday, and knowing that some important pieces are coming back from injury soon, I think the answer is yes. But we've so often seen this program crap out against Big East schedules, when we so often think those other Big East teams are so bad, that it's hard to know.

I know people are excited for this weekend, but right now all eyes are on that Minnesota game. You assume we go in there 1-2. It's a team that has been worse than Northwestern in recent years. We should have the missing pieces back by then, and hopefully not lose anymore (knock on wood). But it's also a night road game against a school in a big boy conference, and those are never easy.

If we lose the Minnesota game, it's going to be a big uphill battle from there to be a bowl team.
Can't argue with this take, other than to say if we lose @ Minny I don't think it's an uphill battle, I think we're just toast.

lets say the Orange beat the brook. then its at minny, pitt and rut. we could be looking at a 0-10 v real teams, maybe even 11 if P gets revenge again.

I'm comfortable owning the prediction that we'll win 5 in a row after this weekend, including our first three conference games [Pitt at home, @ Rutgirls, Uconn at home]. If we don't flatten Minnesota, I'll be extremely surprised.

My original prediction was 8 wins, including NW, Cinci @ home, and Temple. 7 wins is still very much attainable. Certianly, 6 wins to qualify for bowl eligibility is well within reach.

Also, welcome back, Tristan.

good point. Why? Because of Nassib. You remember Nassib, right? the same guy who this board every year said wouldnt start and one of Marrone's crack recruits would replace him. each spring the board debated which QB would replace him. Meanwhile, stupid me kept saying he was going to be an excellent QB. And sure enough...

Yes, its tiring being right all of the time. Very tiring.

Nassib deserves better than Marrone. And so do the real fans. Our coach has been a horrible investment.

Sincerely,

Tristan the Redeemer.

PS - Kingtide, I dont believe in violence, so i decline your invite to smash my head 75 times. you are welcome to come to Dubai and clean my car door 75 times, though. I am sure the little indian guy who does it every day would love a few days off.
NYU

By that rational we let GRob go too early.

GROB never had an 8-5, bowl-winning season, nor did he ever show the promise of having one...and he wasn't an SU alum, wasn't a former SU FB player, wasn't someone whose dream job was at SU, nor a was he a coach who re-established recruiting ties to NYC/LI and NJ. I could go on...

Can't argue with this take, other than to say if we lose @ Minny I don't think it's an uphill battle, I think we're just toast.

Would most likely mean a requirement of 5-2 in the Big East with an unbalanced road schedule. A serious corner would have to be turned. Of course we could beat Mizzou and go 4-3 BE. But I'm not penciling in a victory at Mizzou unless their QB is hurt and the guy who ran back two 70+ punts for TDs this past weekend is not only hurt, but kicked off the team and banned from the state for good measure.

...and he wasn't an SU alum, wasn't a former SU FB player, wasn't someone whose dream job was at SU, nor a was he a coach who re-established recruiting ties to NYC/LI and NJ. I could go on...

That's true of Mac and P and Maloney also. Even Ben.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thinking Marrone bullied Tristan when he was younger. Or banged his girlfriend.

Only thing that explains the pure vitriol.

Thinking Marrone bullied Tristan when he was younger. Or banged his girlfriend.

Only thing that explains the pure vitriol.

I thought Hopkins banged his g/f.

Nassib deserves better than Marrone. And so do the real fans. Our coach has been a horrible investment.

As you advised at the time, SU should have hired Holtz or Gill instead of Marrone. They proved to be worthwhile investments.

As you advised at the time, SU should have hired Holtz or Gill instead of Marrone. They proved to be worthwhile investments.

Thats a lie. such an incredible lie. I had no opinion on either of those guys. I did say they should have gone after kiff before USC did. And we all know how that turned out. he is sort of one of the best coaches in the country, winning, recuiring and fundraising like a motherf*cker.

i also wanted leach.

Keep it honest.

In anothr game we cna start talking about replacement coaches.

I thought Hopkins banged his g/f.

no, hopkins banged the chancellor, which is why he is inheriting the SU program. No other explanation on why a journeymen assistant coach is being handed such a prize.

no, hopkins banged the chancellor, which is why he is inheriting the SU program. No other explanation on why a journeymen assistant coach is being handed such a prize.
He's a jouneyman? What's your definition of journeyman?

Nice inflammatory crossover post. You add so much to this board.

Nice inflammatory crossover post. You add so much to this board.

have you not read this thread? I am not the one who introduced hopkins to this topic and said he banged my mother. Sweetlord. you upstaters are silly little monkeys.

Boeheim was also a journeyman assistant coach when he was made the SU head coach, except he had less experience. That hire worked out ok...

Thats a lie. such an incredible lie. I had no opinion on either of those guys. I did say they should have gone after kiff before USC did. And we all know how that turned out. he is sort of one of the best coaches in the country, winning, recuiring and fundraising like a motherf*cker.

i also wanted leach.

Keep it honest.

Stan as much as you are right on a lot of things you are dead wrong about this

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Stan as much as you are right on a lot of things you are dead wrong about this

that is simply not true. I never endorsed either gill or Holtz. gill at the time was the coach of buffalo and if you recall I was screaming for a name brand hire that would immediately bring in studs. not the coach of buffalo...

I am always happy to admit when I am wrong, but this is simply false. its possible I made a comparative sentence and said holtz would be a better hire than marrone (anyone would have), but I didnt want either of these guys.

that is simply not true. I never endorsed either gill or Holtz. gill at the time was the coach of buffalo and if you recall I was screaming for a name brand hire that would immediately bring in studs. not the coach of buffalo...

I am always happy to admit when I am wrong, but this is simply false. its possible I made a comparative sentence and said holtz would be a better hire than marrone (anyone would have), but I didnt want either of these guys.

I'm guessing Go meant that he thinks your dead wrong on saying Marrone is a bad coach.

i also wanted leach.

Keep it honest.

Neither Leach or Kiffen was coming here in a thouaand years...next your going to tell us Urban Meyer would have been a good choice...no s*&t Sherlock...

Be realistic...

I'm guessing Go meant that he thinks your dead wrong on saying Marrone is a bad coach.
Yep tapatalk is a rough interface

Sincerely,

Tristan the Redeemer.

PS - Kingtide, I dont believe in violence, so i decline your invite to smash my head 75 times. you are welcome to come to Dubai and clean my car door 75 times, though. I am sure the little indian guy who does it every day would love a few days off.

:rolling:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom