Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

Most of the numbers I've seen indicate college age adults (really 21-30) account for the most infections. Having said that, I think it's likely there are a lot more people that have it/have had it than the numbers indicate. That is the reasoning some people are using to dismiss the danger of it. As a healthcare profeessional, it's the reason I get so frustrated when seeing the lack of compliance with regards to wearing masks and practicing social distancing.
On the plus side...flu is down. I expect it will be down next winter too.

Well on the bright side, Clemson could be the first team to reach herd immunity and not have to worry about players coming down with covid in the fall :rolleyes:
It is why Clemson wins more...Dabo is playing chess while we play checkers.

Just kidding...sort of

There's no way there's gonna be a season. Remember all that talk about how the heat would mitigate the pandemic? Just look at the NYTimes map showing where the virus is spiking:

Coronavirus in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count

It's the entire SEC and a huge portion of the ACC. You'll note that virtually entire states like Alabama and South Carolina are disaster areas. Cities that had opened up, like Orlando, are now pulling back. The rush to 'get back to normal' has only exacerbated the spread.

You've now got MLB players testing positive. Even a PGA tour golfer who was playing this weekend (Nick Watney) withdrew with the virus.

It's gonna be virtually a total lost year in sports.

Does it seem like an abnormally high amount of football players are testing positive? Maybe it’s just because we are hearing about the positives. Are they testing once they get to campus ie they brought it from their home towns? Or spread within the teams themselves?

Does it seem like an abnormally high amount of football players are testing positive? Maybe it’s just because we are hearing about the positives. Are they testing once they get to campus ie they brought it from their home towns? Or spread within the teams themselves?

We don't know what abnormally high is. If they're working out together and not wearing masks, this could be normal. And they can't do that kind of physical exertion while wearing masks.

People are going to get it and most will be asymptomatic. It is what it is. Based off of the contingency plans I've been told of, we will see football.

People are going to get it and most will be asymptomatic. It is what it is. Based off of the contingency plans I've been told of, we will see football.

No contingency plan can address the outbreaks we're seeing even before students come back, if they come back. NYTimes reports that southern states are seeing spread through bars and frats, two places athletes have, on occasion, been known to frequent.

"At least 100 cases were linked on Friday to employees and customers of bars in the Tigerland nightlife district near the Louisiana State University campus. In South Carolina, cases among people who are 21 to 30 have grown 413 percent since April 4. And in Mississippi, state officials said several cases had been tied to fraternity rush parties in Oxford, home to the University of Mississippi. More than 80 percent of new cases in Oxford involved people 18 to 24."

The spread is now pretty much unabated where proper precautions have not been taken. Go back and take a look at that map I posted above.

I wouldn't be shocked if college players start speaking out about the risk.

Last edited:
No contingency plan can address the outbreaks we're seeing even before students come back, if they come back. NYTimes reports that southern states are seeing spread through bars and frats, two places athletes have, on occasion, been known to frequent.

"At least 100 cases were linked on Friday to employees and customers of bars in the Tigerland nightlife district near the Louisiana State University campus. In South Carolina, cases among people who are 21 to 30 have grown 413 percent since April 4. And in Mississippi, state officials said several cases had been tied to fraternity rush parties in Oxford, home to the University of Mississippi. More than 80 percent of new cases in Oxford involved people 18 to 24."

The spread is now pretty much unabated where proper precautions have not been taken. Go back and take a look at that map I posted above.

I wouldn't be shocked if college players start speaking out about the risk.

That's your opinion and it's not correct. I've been told from people intimately involved in the process. There will be football. It's better that players get it now than during camp.

until they give it to others.

LSU beats out Clemson again.

30 went out to bars... It said a group tested negative. They could have 1 positive, and 29 quarantined based on contact tracing. They prolly went together. No different than Bama playing some football before the results were back, and quarantining all 50.

If colleges expect college student/athletes to not socialize they are completely nuts. It’s not going to happen. There will be outbreaks of the virus on all campuses.

Making it far less likely that college sports will proceed as in the past.

Read a conspiracy theory that the big programs are gonna get their players exposed during the summer so they don't get shut down mid season and I hate Dabo enough to believe it 100%.
Infect TD now and closely monitor his recovery. I’m kidding, but I guarantee others have considered it.
Called it three weeks ago in this thread

All these positive tests also means that the death rate is a lot lower than we originally thought.

All these positive tests also means that the death rate is a lot lower than we originally thought.

Not really. Only a fraction of the people who have the flu are tested so you could argue that the influenza death rate is lower, and SARS as well.

If you are using testing to compare the death rates of other diseases you can only use the actual data. Any way you look at it, COVID-19 is more deadly than any virus of the last 50 years.

Like it says they only had a couple test positive but since they were together they quarintined the whole group until they know for sure.. It really points to getting the testing better/cheaper so these types of things get limited.. Players will have to get testing on athurs, ship up to a game. and then again, isolate and then again sat morning before a game. its still gonna be tough and a few will slip thru the cracks..

Not really. Only a fraction of the people who have the flu are tested so you could argue that the influenza death rate is lower, and SARS as well.

If you are using testing to compare the death rates of other diseases you can only use the actual data. Any way you look at it, COVID-19 is more deadly than any virus of the last 50 years.
Two examples of more deadly:
HIV/AIDS Pandemic (at its peak, 2005-2012) (most cases are in Africa). 36 million people have died from it since 1981. Currently there are between 31 and 35 million people living with HIV, the vast majority of those are in Sub-Saharan Africa, where 5% of the population is infected, roughly 21 million people There is no known vaccine for it, and lucky there are treatments now that make having HIV manageable.

Flu Pandemic (1968) ( I know its outside of your 50 year window) Over 1 million died. The 1968 pandemic had a mortality rate (.5%) it still resulted in the deaths of more than a million people. World population at the time was 3.5 billion while current its est of 7.8 billion.

And your point of SARS Death Rate is not correct.
"The World Health Organization (WHO) today estimated the overall fatality rate for SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) patients at 14% to 15%, significantly higher than previous estimates. The agency estimated the rate for people older than 64 years to be more than 50%. "