Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

The new numbers coming out of Florida. Texas and California will probably end the fall college football season. With the NY travel ban going in effect today it won’t allow several schools from the ACC to enter NewYork. Our federal government needs to get their heads out of the sand and get a national plan in place. We’re going to end up starting up all over again.

Any follow ups about the health of the players testing positive? If they all end up perfectly fine with a few minor cold symptoms is it worth shutting down the whole season over it?

We all knew that players would be getting the virus whether they come back to campus or play sports or not. Wouldn't they be better off on campus versus back home with their parents and grand parents?

Either we try to be safe and test or we dont, sports is just another area that needs to decide how it wants to handle it. college fball/bball and Pro sports bring in money so can afford the model of testing and try to be safe.. other sports maybe cant do that.
But by Sept smaller teams will be doing testing in small groups so a FHockey/soccer teams would be 2-3 tests on the whole group and that will lower costs alot if they are being safe the rest of the week.

If you are testing sports go on, if we are not they get shut down.

I think it’s getting increasingly tougher by the day to see college football this fall.

You look at states like Florida, California, Texas, Georgia, Washington, etc...whose cases are just blowing up right now. It’s going to be hard to turn that around in a couple of months for the season. Hell its going to be damn near impossible for a few weeks when training camp starts.

Its only going to take a couple states to blow up with cases like we are seeing to cancel the season. We aren’t going to see some states play football and others not. It’s going to be everyone or no one. And it’s tough to see teams playing in some states with the numbers we are seeing.

The new numbers coming out of Florida. Texas and California will probably end the fall college football season. With the NY travel ban going in effect today it won’t allow several schools from the ACC to enter NewYork. Our federal government needs to get their heads out of the sand and get a national plan in place. We’re going to end up starting up all over again.

season is like 3 months away so no need to decide anything until end of july to early august when the 6 week practice plan ncaa approved is set to begin. With who is in charge good luck getting a national plan in place

Less than 1% have it.

I honestly think we should have never done any testing and just warned people to wash their hands and otherwise ignored it other than imploring the at risk to stay home.

Yes, there are millions that have had it already that were asymptomatic.

There were random antibody tests done at supermarkets by the state of NY all across the state in strategic locations.

Those results were revealed in one of governor Cuomos press conferences. They were pretty widely reported and showed that on average on downstate NY and NYC that 22% of residents had already had the virus, resolved and showed antibodies. Using that percentage of the NY metro area through Westchester, that would be roughly 1.9 million people in that area alone. The average number in all of upstate was around 7 or 8% if I remember correctly.

This virus isnt stopping and anyone thinking that wearing masks and staying indoors is kidding themselves.

Some other numbers were that 66% of all new positive tests in NY State were from people that were quarantining themselves with their families. Experts were shocked but its fact per testing and questioning.

Also was reported recently that even with the increasing number of positives nationwide that hospitalizations and deaths are still dropping dramatically. Some experts say it is because the new cases are primarily in young people who are better able to handle the virus.

Those are all facts folks.

The genie is out of the bottle and there is no getting it back in there without a vaccine.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I remember those tests. The supermarket one resulted in 12.9% with antibodies.(corrections welcome) Focusing on those willing to be out, easily skews the # though.(and test specificity- although we have 99% + now) There ARE sewage tests that indicate a far greater rate, though...(very random)

There was a day that Cuomo indicated the majority were "mostly" locking themselves down. I don't recall a trend.

I think that's where opinions w/ facts may come in. Agree with your overall point though.

I've said it before. If they are not studying the athlete #'s, its stupid. I hope HIPPA laws allow it.(even if school #23, etc.) The infection rate appears MUCH higher. They get tested regularly, which also can help with finding the key behaviors.

I expected less than 1%. (tracking official) The age group appears to 5% plus. That may actually be "positive" news.

Has nothing to do with national.

If they wanna play football, a pre and post travel test will allow entry, and the players to play.

Depending on bias, science could be used to stop football, or allow it.(until it can't) The #'s don't lie.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes. I remember those tests. The supermarket one resulted in 12.9% with antibodies.(corrections welcome) Focusing on those willing to be out, easily skews the # though.(and test specificity- although we have 99% + now) There ARE sewage tests that indicate a far greater rate, though...(very random)

There was a day that Cuomo indicated the majority were "mostly" locking themselves down. I don't recall a trend.

I think that's where opinions w/ facts may come in. Agree with your overall point though.

I've said it before. If they are not studying the athlete #'s, its stupid. I hope HIPPA laws allow it.(even if school #23, etc.) The infection rate appears MUCH higher. They get tested regularly, which also can help with finding the key behaviors.

I expected less than 1%. (tracking official) The age group appears to 5% plus. That may actually be "positive" news.
The statewide antibody tests had a wide range based on county they were like 8% in Jefferson county or something, Onondaga was similar but slightly higher at like 12%, downstate was 22% for sure.

Another study came out today and was reported that actual positive numbers might be as high as 25 million.

If that number is even half accurate, it lowers the effective death rate to basically 2x the seasonal flu. If we knew ahead of time that this virus would effectively be roughly as deadly as the flu, we probably would have reacted differently.

Even the virus experts are dumbfounded as to how to stop a virus that may have as high as 40-50% asymptomatic. They haven't ever seen anything like it.

What exactly was my opinion that was interlaced with facts ?
The line about how people wearing masks and staying inside are kidding themselves. It's s minor point.
But, I think you should go back and fact- check because your numbers don't jibe with what NYS put out vis-a-vis the antibody testing: 19.9% in NYC, 13.8% in Westchester and Rockland counties, 11.4% on Long island and about 4% in the rest of the state, according to the state website. Still sobering, but quite a bit lower than what you stated. It's probably an honest mistake amidst all of the posting, but, if you're going to be emphatic with your statements you might want to check your factual memory before going on record. I know I've deleted many a post I was sure about before I back-checked myself.

remember we are also comparing who gets the flu vs who gets the virus.. we really have no idea how many get the flu since an over whelming number dont get a test and a large number get a shot.

Best case scenario, social interactions are going to be likely very much inhibited. This goes from living accommodations, to the fact that 1:1 meetings between faculty and students are not going to be allowed under any circumstances.

On a side note, but I think that tests are stupid and I don't give them. I haven't given a test in years.

FYI, Cuomo included higher Ed (not sports) as part of phase 4 today. About 14 pages.

It sucks, but I think you’re right. We were going in the right direction and now we’re worse than ever.

too early to say how states handle the situation vs how the colleges do. 2 months is a long time and NY shows how much can change in that time

Just to clarify, my comment about 1:1 interactions is institute policy, I am not sure about state policy.

i didn’t even read it. Just thought you might be interested.

OCC just canceled all Fall Sports for 2020. Yes, I know its a community college in Onondaga County and much different than major college football of a Power 5 conference level, but they waived the white flag and canceled all of their fall sports.

Did the entire team just come back and basically workout, shower, live together before any tests?

If CFB was serious about playing then NCAA and conferences needed to have strict protocols. They failed and let schools decide. Pretty obvious many schools did nothing once players returned other than give them a test.