Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

I am getting to the point that college football is not going happen!

And now we have to worry about another one?

Alabama players tested on Tuesday, then practiced (in a non-organized team activity) with 50 other players on Wed, then got results today that at least 5 players tested positive. All 50 players now will be in a 2-week quarantine.

This is the challenge schools (and NFL teams) are going to face come the fall unless something drastic changes.

I'm with Boomer on this one.

Significant budget cut for one Power 5 school

Wait. They only pay their coaches $46 million for their 570 student athletes? My goodness. Each of the 570 athletes(every sport, title ix) only contributes $80,702 to their coaches salaries, a piece? Slackers. They need to NUT up. As a vocal libertarian? I despise those that don't pull their own weight. These kids need to get to work to support the system... (lol)

(sarcasm font OFF)

It's just when the math struck me? A little upsetting. I've fed many D1 athletes, numerous times, because I know part of their stipend checks go home to feed their families. In that context? That article was kind of upsetting, seeing how they'll cut for the "system." Covid $$? We can do it. Humans? Nope... 2020 is one upsetting reality after another.

Last edited:
Spring college football and April/May Madness might be the best case scenarios at this point for both sports.

Since the IVY does not go to bowl games or play offs no real reason to need to play in the fall either.

Not sure of your math. The mortality rate of the flu is about .1%. Even if we assume the CDC number that those infected is 10x what we know, it would put the COVID mortality rate at .5%. 5 times more deadly as the flu.
Its not 5x as deadly. Its more infectious. It might actually end up being less deadly.

I find it very hard to believe there will be any college sports this fall.
The golden era of 6 year old NCAA football games begins...

(As an aside, why couldn’t they wait until we were good to ruin that piece of happiness? Being immortalized as the #13 team in the nation would have been awesome.)

I showed my math. Where’s yours?
I dont have a specific example. What i do have are friends and family members who are Doctors. One is in research at Yale Medical. To a person they state that CO 19 is highly contagious but not significantly more lethal than others.
5x the death rate by percentage is an enormous increase. In Colorado, Syracuse, and North Carolina it hasn't come anywhere near those numbers.
Also there are so many conflicting reports and studies out regarding the validity of test and cause of death reporting that its impossible to find the truth.
Im personally being very cautious and following the scientists advice.

I dont have a specific example. What i do have are friends and family members who are Doctors. One is in research at Yale Medical. To a person they state that CO 19 is highly contagious but not significantly more lethal than others.
5x the death rate by percentage is an enormous increase. In Colorado, Syracuse, and North Carolina it hasn't come anywhere near those numbers.
Also there are so many conflicting reports and studies out regarding the validity of test and cause of death reporting that its impossible to find the truth.

syracuse is even worse. 187 deaths. 2708 cases.

apply the same cdc 10x cases and it puts Syracuse at .6%. 6 times the flu.

Speechless.

Just when you start to think that stereotypes of “dumb Southerners” might be overblown.

It’s like the whole state is trying to win this year’s Darwin Award.

Roll tide!

thats 8.7 % for mathematically challenged
12.6% of players have tested positive.
10.8% of players currently positive
8.7% overall have tested positive

If 8.7% was the true country infection percentage? Equates to .45% mortality.

Last edited:
While the truth may be slightly fluid, in order for mortality to be the same, or less than the flu, that would require 130,798,000 plus infections. 40% of the country, with herd immunity right around the corner.

If we say half the deaths are "fake". Need 65 million plus infections to put it at flu levels.

Do I think we may have more infections than the CDC estimate? Yes. But if I think something, it doesn't make it true. Still need evidence to present itself.

If we look at the lowest mortality rates in the world.
Israel: .25%
Bahrain: .34%
Singapore: .059%
Qatar: .12%

At a quick glance, those are the lowest #'s in the world. Singapore and Qatar near flu levels.

Last edited:
Just when you start to think that stereotypes of “dumb Southerners” might be overblown.

It’s like the whole state is trying to win this year’s Darwin Award.

Roll tide!

At this point the bubble to play college football games will be in Foxboro and Boston College. I'm proud to live in an area that was smart and diligent about COVID and kept things closed longer than most people wanted.

Massachusetts had their first zero death day yesterday and is trending well.

While the truth may be slightly fluid, in order for mortality to be the same, or less than the flu, that would require 130,798,000 plus infections. 40% of the country, with herd immunity right around the corner.

If we say half the deaths are "fake". Need 65 million plus infections to put it at flu levels.

Do I think we may have more infections than the CDC estimate? Yes. But if I think something, it doesn't make it true. Still need evidence to present itself.

If we look at the lowest mortality rates in the world.
Israel: .25%
Bahrain: .34%
Singapore: .059%
Qatar: .12%

At a quick glance, those are the lowest #'s in the world. Singapore and Qatar near flu levels.

you’re a math guy aren’t you?