Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Alabama: 5 players tested Positive for COVID

Not a lot of savings in reality for these sports when cut too.. like 30-40 scholies so it adds up in the end, but a few million in cost savings for a school that was running 36 sports and had some huge donors you would think to tap into.

These schools might have been better off keeping a lot of these kids on campus instead of sending them home to situations that aren't nearly as "safe."

These schools might have been better off keeping a lot of these kids on campus instead of sending them home to situations that aren't nearly as "safe."
I think this IS the result of on Campus. Not good.

It's becoming painfully apparent that this will run through teams, campuses, etc. until it's over. The bubble isn't working.

It's becoming painfully apparent that this will run through teams, campuses, etc. until it's over. The bubble isn't working.
its not a big surprise and really announcing covid cases on campus is pointless if 80 % have no symptoms you tell those people to isolate for 7-14 days and call if symptoms get worse

does make you wonder what some of the campuses will look like when the bring the real population back.

A lot of these kids, football players, come from situations where their home life / socioeconomic situation is high risk. They're all bringing it back to campus.
Initial tests were run 3 or 4 weeks ago. (arrival June 1, June 8). They showed some, but not like this. These are the results with students on campus, in pods, not yet in team activities. :-(

its not a big surprise and really announcing covid cases on campus is pointless if 80 % have no symptoms you tell those people to isolate for 7-14 days and call if symptoms get worse
Be nice to know the asymptomatic. My guess is, of the initial tests, almost noone had symptoms. A couple articles where kids DID have symptoms , they didn't bring them on campus.

Initial tests were run 3 or 4 weeks ago. (arrival June 1, June 8). They showed some, but not like this. These are the results with students on campus, in pods, not yet in team activities. :-(

The 3 /4 weeks ago lines up with Clemson with their huge number.

Ohio state, UNC, KU, Utep all pausing within the last week. While Ohio state was candid, we dont know about other schools that haven't been reporting. There has been a definite uptick, and it's because they were on campus. :-(

I wish they would do a follow up on the symptoms, if any, that these kids are having. Based on discussions with people I know at Syracuse it seems that the ones that are testing positive have little to know symptoms, isolate for a period of time, and then are back to normal. If this is all it ends up being for the players, then what is the problem? Worse thing they could do is send them home to their parents/grandparents.

Is it possible schools will allow athletes back and sports to resume and then ALL other students have their courses online?

Would drastically reduce the exposure.

The NCAA would claim that student-athletes are getting an extra benefit.

The NCAA would claim that student-athletes are getting an extra benefit.
I doubt it. If they were to put them in that kind of bubble? A season would be more likely. It would just show that they are there for $$$$... They dont want those optics.

so they optic would be 95% of people only care about colleges because of some sport they care about would cause an issue with them? We here all want sports and its hard to separate the sport from the safety.. We also want beer/food/golf/gas/meat/etc and want those people working often in unsafe conditions.

the country could live with less hot dogs and hamburgers for a month or 2 too and numbers show more people probably got sick packing meat than will get sick playing football.

its all about money even when it comes down to food..

so they optic would be 95% of people only care about colleges because of some sport they care about would cause an issue with them? We here all want sports and its hard to separate the sport from the safety.. We also want beer/food/golf/gas/meat/etc and want those people working often in unsafe conditions.

the country could live with less hot dogs and hamburgers for a month or 2 too and numbers show more people probably got sick packing meat than will get sick playing football.

its all about money even when it comes down to food..
I meant in regards to players. If just the players, (not safe for students), bad look. Why they've been saying sports only with students back.

If it was just the players? Yes. I think the chances of navigating a season would be much better. If somehow MLS, NBA, MLB manage? I wouldn't be opposed to that model. Not happening.

Is it possible schools will allow athletes back and sports to resume and then ALL other students have their courses online?

Would drastically reduce the exposure.

For the vast majority of schools, having students on campus makes much more money than sports.

From what I've been hearing, there is much more of a reactionary process in place; one that assumes that there will be a large number of cases on campus, but that the campus will need to roll with it - which is not something that I agree with.

FWIW, at basically every school 70-90% of the faculty have "significant" concerns about returning the campus in the fall.

The faculty I have talked with in the last weeks have concerns even though I know most will not come with 20-30ft of any student other than perhaps a hall way which will be just like going to a grocery store.

no students in first 2-3 rows. glass to stand behind, assigned seating. limited capacity rooms, also dont like office hours as it was before and there wont be any in person ones now.

Lectures is not an issue.. its labs and much of that is not done by profs anyway

Of course several I talk to are the same ones that show up at the golf course, dont wear a mask to sign in and have been going out to stores and food places the whole time.