Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My gut tells me the chances of Hughes returning is getting higher with the NBA moving everything back further and further. It‘s going to make a decision even more difficult than it already is. Where the chances were probably less than 10%, it may be closer to 40% now. I could be totally off base, but Hughes is a different kind of kid and uncertainty could make the probability of returning greater.

The last couple games he seemed to reign it in though. I think the freshmen wall was a real thing for Joe.

I also think Joe has the opportunity to improve his defense far more than Buddy does. Buddy regressed from frosh to soph years in terms of defense. I honestly don't understand how anyone doesn't see that.

I'm hopeful the Griffin kid gets to play next year, but if anyone thinks he will effectively replace the leading scorer in the ACC in his first year playing in the SU zone, I'm not understanding how they come to that conclusion. It sounds like he will be a better rebounder, which is awesome.

Joe's probably got more room to improve on defense than Buddy, but I don't know that he's any more physically gifted (and he sure is a lot smaller).

I did miss the last three games, but it seemed that Joe's shot selection was brutal for awhile before that, capped by a truly unbelievable senior night game when he thought he was playing one-on-one against Cole Anthony.

I only base my prediction on that it arguably got worse as the season went on and that's all he has known since he has played in high school and college. Maybe a little better but I don't see him shooting over 40% ever in his career.

Gmac is probably the best pure shooter we've ever had, but double teams and shot selection never got him over the 40% hump.
I disagree about the trend of his shooting numbers. He was a crap shoot every game. In Brooklyn, he looked to me like he would be a 25% shooter--his shot looked awful right out of his hand. Then he'd have a decent game, followed by a horrid one. I do think his decision-making got better as the season went along, but not his shot selection. He showed some real affinity with the lob pass.

Unfortunately I can’t really argue with that.

Haha, I hate to be that guy. I'm posting on here after all. But this program is going nowhere. I'm happy some people are excited though.

We lost more than a great player. He was our best defender who had 3 years in the system. It's rare for a guy to jump in and play the zone well. Our defense may be the worst we've ever seen, worse than last year. Where is Kadary playing? Probably not over Griffin, and your high if you think Buddy or Girard arent playing 35 minutes.

Maybe Scott Shafer can coach our basketball team. We can forgo offense and just try to win with D. Those 40 point slugfests are so fun.

Hughes was our best defender ? He as a lazy defender and a lazy rebounder.

I have a feeling that even if he sits out in 2020, with the 30+mpg he’ll get in 2021 he’ll end up declaring for the draft

I’m inclined to agree. Will be similar to Eli’s situation, unless he has a subpar year, and still needs to show the NBA something. If he has even just a solid season, then really no reason to stick around, as your stock is very rarely going up much with another year when that would make you 23 going into the draft.

My gut tells me the chances of Hughes returning is getting higher with the NBA moving everything back further and further. It‘s going to make a decision even more difficult than it already is. Where the chances were probably less than 10%, it may be closer to 40% now. I could be totally off base, but Hughes is a different kind of kid and uncertainty could make the probability of returning greater.

There are more and more kids throwing their names in now than ever before. I doubt that coming back is how the kids are thinking about it.

Maybe Scott Shafer can coach our basketball team. We can forgo offense and just try to win with D. Those 40 point slugfests are so fun.

Hughes was our best defender ? He as a lazy defender and a lazy rebounder.

Who was better?

Haha, I hate to be that guy. I'm posting on here after all. But this program is going nowhere. I'm happy some people are excited though.
Arguing against potentially's and possibly's is a fool's errand. Everybody is Rudy Gobert 'til they ain't.

Not really. I think almost to a man that the kids who work hard in the program get better. There was a former UNC player (last 5 years or so) who marveled at how improved our 2nd year guys always seem to be.

Lol. He's an idiot then. I've never seen a mass group of players that either regressed or stayed the same. Sure a couple guys here and there get better but I wouldnt say we've had a lot of guys improve a lot the past 5 or so years.

Sure, on paper. On paper, Goodine was going to be a backup point last year -- it just didn't manifest. Freshmen [to badly paraphrase Gump] are like a box of chocolates.

I LOVE Kadary's potential. I hope he ends up being a terrific player for us. I think he will eventually -- just don't know what to expect next year... especially given the "ole" defense he showed at Brewster.

But that still limits us to only three scholarship guards -- which limits what you can do in practice, and exposes us in the event of an injury.
Griffin is the 4th guard. He can play both SG and SF. Kadary can absolutely play PG. He is a very skilled ball handler, driver and finisher, and he’s a good passer. He played PG at Brewster, one of the best prep schools in the country, and they were loaded last season.

No matter when the draft is it should be an easy decision for Eli. Leave.

He’s “old” and was already the leading scorer in the ACC. His draft stock isn’t going to improve.

Decisions aren’t always that easy. Hell, it wasn’t even easy for Melo to leave ha.

Griffin is the 4th guard. He can play both SG and SF. Kadary can absolutely play PG. He is a very skilled ball handler, driver and finisher, and he’s a good passer. He played PG at Brewster, one of the best prep schools in the country, and they were loaded last season.
As of right now, Griffin isn't even eligible to play next season.

And Carey was a top 30 recruit that one analyst compared to Trae Young. And Guerriet was a potential one-and-done. So you'll fogive me for adopting a wait and see attitude.

Nothing is given when it comes to the contribution that frosh are (or are not) ready to make. You never know.

For the record, I am excited about Richmond. But heaven forbid we have a backcourt injury.

(snip) if Sid can continue his late season pace and Edwards improves we should be as good if not better than last years team.

I would go so far as to say Sidibe is the most important piece next year. If his improvement is a long term improvement and not merely an upswing in his inconsistent play, he will be a huge player for us.

Some numbers to back it up...

In his last six games Sidibe:

Averaged 29.17 minutes. He only got 29 minutes or more thee times all year before that.

Had a streak of six double digit rebound games, averaging 11.67. He only achieved 10 rebounds twice previously.

Averaged 9.5 points, only scoring 9 three times previously.

Averaged 4 free throws attempted, having only shot 4 on two previous occasions.

He still fouled a ton, but was even more effective defending, averaging 2.67 blocks in those games.

Whatever caused the improvement, if it is real, he will be a very important player. I think this past years team wins at least 5 more games if the 9.5/11.6/2.7 Sidibe shows up from day one.

Why not next years?

As of right now, Griffin isn't even eligible to play next season.

And Carey was a top 30 recruit that one analyst compared to Trae Young. And Guerriet was a potential one-and-done. So you'll fogive me for adopting a wait and see attitude.

Nothing is given when it comes to the contribution that frosh are (or are not) ready to make. You never know.

For the record, I am excited about Richmond. But heaven forbid we have a backcourt injury.
Theres some possibilities for front court. Gotta let things play out but we might be ok. That's all I can say. Hoping it works out and then we wont have to worry so much about injuries and throwing inexperienced players into a bigger role then need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom