Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Scott Shafer can coach our basketball team. We can forgo offense and just try to win with D. Those 40 point slugfests are so fun.

Hughes was our best defender ? He as a lazy defender and a lazy rebounder.
Well then Griffin should be a better player, because he's a better 3 pt. shooter and rebounder by the numbers :)

As of right now, Griffin isn't even eligible to play next season.

And Carey was a top 30 recruit that one analyst compared to Trae Young. And Guerriet was a potential one-and-done. So you'll fogive me for adopting a wait and see attitude.

Nothing is given when it comes to the contribution that frosh are (or are not) ready to make. You never know.

For the record, I am excited about Richmond. But heaven forbid we have a backcourt injury.

wait and see is probably what everyone should do every year with every player.

A lot said Eli couldn’t play here an now it’s how are we going to replace him and then it was Joe G couldn’t play here. Lather rinse ...

any Guerrier 1 and done talk is just another example that people don’t know what they’re talking about. Kadary same thing.

Last edited:
As of right now, Griffin isn't even eligible to play next season.

And Carey was a top 30 recruit that one analyst compared to Trae Young. And Guerriet was a potential one-and-done. So you'll fogive me for adopting a wait and see attitude.

Nothing is given when it comes to the contribution that frosh are (or are not) ready to make. You never know.

For the record, I am excited about Richmond. But heaven forbid we have a backcourt injury.
Amen!

Yeah:. Eli, Buddy, Lydon, Grant, just to name a few, didnt improve at all.

You've named 4 players in the past 5 or 6 years years. That's not even one a year, did Lydon really improve in year two? He seemed like the same player.

Well then Griffin should be a better player, because he's a better 3 pt. shooter and rebounder by the numbers :)

Guess what, he isnt and wont be. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Amen!
Anything can happen, but I think Griffin will be eligible for a waiver. If that's the case, he can play sf or sg, so that solves the backcourt issue.

I'm not sure how anyone had Guerrier as a one and done, when according to most recruiting rankings, he was no more than 3-4 stars due to being a Canadian. He was a beast on the boards but by no means a polished player offensively. Still, I would say he was comparable to Brissette who left after 2 years, so we could/should expect the same?

Carey was on avg closer to 50 which is a crap shoot. Richmond is around the same, so just as you are doing, I will reserve judgment.

Regardless, I think we will be better at every position minus losing Eli. At center, we return everyone, at BF we return marek/guerrier and bring in Woody, at sg we return everyone (buddy lol) and at pg we return everyone (jgiii lol) who played a majority of the minutes and then bring in Richmond. The only question is who will fill in for Eli at SF...guerrier or griffin, and I think both bring different things to the table...guerrier defense, griffin offense. I think we will overall be a better team due to experience alone.

Yeah not sure how Lydon improves. Jackson got better over his freshman year but I thought he was the same player this season (one dimensional, with an inconsistent dimension at that)

Anything can happen, but I think Griffin will be eligible for a waiver. If that's the case, he can play sf or sg, so that solves the backcourt issue.

I'm not sure how anyone had Guerrier as a one and done, when according to most recruiting rankings, he was no more than 3-4 stars due to being a Canadian. He was a beast on the boards but by no means a polished player offensively. Still, I would say he was comparable to Brissette who left after 2 years, so we could/should expect the same?

Carey was on avg closer to 50 which is a crap shoot. Richmond is around the same, so just as you are doing, I will reserve judgment.

Regardless, I think we will be better at every position minus losing Eli. At center, we return everyone, at BF we return marek/guerrier and bring in Woody, at sg we return everyone (buddy lol) and at pg we return everyone (jgiii lol) who played a majority of the minutes and then bring in Richmond. The only question is who will fill in for Eli at SF...guerrier or griffin, and I think both bring different things to the table...guerrier defense, griffin offense. I think we will overall be a better team due to experience alone.
Just don’t see how you have a better team when we can’t even scrimmage well due to lack of a full squad to face our starters.

And if one of our guards get hurt, game over.

Just don’t see how you have a better team when we can’t even scrimmage well due to lack of a full squad to face our starters.

Confused. we will have at least 11 scholarship players and we're two deep at every position. Why can't we scrimmage?

And even in the unlikely event that Griff is NOT eligible there are a number of very successful seasons in the past 25 years where our fourth guard was a walk-on. Not ideal, but certainly not the disaster that some here consider it to be.

Confused. we will have at least 11 scholarship players and we're two deep at every position. Why can't we scrimmage?

And even in the unlikely event that Griff is NOT eligible there are a number of very successful seasons in the past 25 years where our fourth guard was a walk-on. Not ideal, but certainly not the disaster that some here consider it to be.
We have 3 guards. How is that 2 deep?

Which years were we successful where the 4th guard was a walk on?

Why do you say we can’t scrimmage well due to a lack of a full squad? Won’t Griffin be able to practice, waiver or no waiver? That gives us 4 scholarship guards for scrimmaging...

We have 3 guards. How is that 2 deep?

Which years were we successful where the 4th guard was a walk on?

1. Girard, Richmond, Boeheim, Griffin.

2. 2018 Sweet 16 - Howard, Battle, Washington and Braedon Bayer (After Geno bailed.)
2013 Final Four - MCW, Triche, Cooney and Griffin Hoffman.
2011 27 wins - Scoop, Triche, Waiters, and Brandon Reese
2010 Sweet 16 - triche, Rautins, Scoop and Brandon Reese
2009 Sweet 16- Flynn, Devo, Rautins, and Justin Thomas
2008 21 wins - Flynn, Scoop, Devo and Justin Thomas
2007 24 wins - Wright, Devo, Rautins and Todd Burach
2001 25 wins - Griffin, Williams, Theus and Rob McClanaghan

Again, there might be a 4th guard. (Not a walk on) Things have to play out for a bit and then we will know more and that's all I can say. It's not all doom and gloom. We should be ok!

1. Girard, Richmond, Boeheim, Griffin.

2. 2018 Sweet 16 - Howard, Battle, Washington and Braedon Bayer (After Geno bailed.)
2013 Final Four - MCW, Triche, Cooney and Griffin Hoffman.
2011 27 wins - Scoop, Triche, Waiters, and Brandon Reese
2010 Sweet 16 - triche, Rautins, Scoop and Brandon Reese
2009 Sweet 16- Flynn, Devo, Rautins, and Justin Thomas
2008 21 wins - Flynn, Scoop, Devo and Justin Thomas
2007 24 wins - Wright, Devo, Rautins and Todd Burach
2001 25 wins - Griffin, Williams, Theus and Rob McClanaghan
I’m seeing far more talented guards in each of those years. Our starters next year aren’t close to MCW, Waiters, Triche, Rautins or Devo.

So given the time and the topic, I did some more digging around Griffin.

As a HS recruit he really wasnt ranked until after he committed. Played EYBL at NY Rens and averaged around 8 points a game.

His HS tape reminds me a lot of Mike G in that his game is pretty smooth the biggest difference in being he is a better shooter. You see shades of Mike, Malachi and the glue guy model. I think he is a better rebounder than both. He actually gives me vibes of Josh Pace as well.

He definitely fits the late bloomer profile. It looks like he started to showcase his abilities a lot more in his final year which again kept him under the radar until late. St John's made a push for him late too.

If he can defend I think he could do really well here. He is a different player than Hughes in my mind but similar in the value he brings as a shooter and a scorer in general. As a guy who is being asked to be a playmaker it's hard to score him.

I was under the impression Griffin was a forward. If he can play the guard spot, then I guess it works.

People around like to think guys who are fowards will play on the top of the zone, outside of Silent G I dont think it really has happened here. Have a feeling we'll be hearing about Griffin at the 2 until the end of next season and it never happens once.

You've named 4 players in the past 5 or 6 years years. That's not even one a year, did Lydon really improve in year two? He seemed like the same player.
So, Lydon was a 1st round pick as a freshman? What GM would have pulled that trigger.
Those were just guys off the top of my head. Even Marek has gotten better, and Quincy improved during the year.
I don't need or intend to go over rosters for the last few years to prove you wrong.

Perhaps. I'm not sure how the transfer market plays out, but the if the ACC returns to a normal level, or anywhere resembling that, I'm not sure how we're not in some trouble. We lost far and away our best all-around player. The rest of the team still seems to resemble a very bad-zone playing version of Notre Dame...at best.

I could play out some scenarios where we may be okay, Kadary is sooooo amazing on offense and defense that he steals the starting job, one of our centers ends up turning into a sudden-superstar, the ACC gets even worse overall, etc...but those are all big what-ifs.

People around like to think guys who are fowards will play on the top of the zone, outside of Silent G I dont think it really has happened here. Have a feeling we'll be hearing about Griffin at the 2 until the end of next season and it never happens once.

Griffin is a 2g in the sense of being a wing but that is where it ends. From what I have seen of him on tape, Marek is more likely to be key as a Point Forward than Griffin to be a 4th guard. Not that he can't handle the ball but his game is a scoring wing/SF. That isn't to say he doesn't develop into being truly more of a guard but right now I don't see it.

Griffin is a 2g in the sense of being a wing but that is where it ends. From what I have seen of him on tape, Marek is more likely to be key as a Point Forward than Griffin to be a 4th guard. Not that he can't handle the ball but his game is a scoring wing/SF. That isn't to say he doesn't develop into being truly more of a guard but right now I don't see it.

The same people touting Griffin as a guard are the same ones that said Marek would be on the top of the zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom