Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin transfers to Syracuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've watched a lot of games from 2011-2013 recently and Triche was really good at getting to the basket and really good in transition. He was not a great 3point shooter, but was above average in just about everything else. Personally I think he was a better player than Tyus Battle especially after watching those games.
I also have been watching those games and he made very timely threes as well.

Fair points. I agree about Triche's 3 point shooting that year. Don't know why he dropped off as much as he did. But let's remember that senior Brandon Triche played on a team with FAR more talent as well, so he wasn't forced to be the man as much as Joe was this year. I mean, MCW, Dirty, Fair, etc.

If Triche was the lone man at the point, like Joe was this year, I think you'd see better numbers from Brandon across the board.

He's still getting paid to play hoops some 8 years later. That's got to count for something.

If Brandon was the lone man playing on this syracuse team and had to do everything himself he would've had worse numbers. Triche really benefited from having a compliment of great players around him. that's not a bad thing, but many players are better when they have a better supporting cast. Triche played with Scoop, Waiters, Cater-Williams, Cooney, Fair, Kris Joseph...those were just some of the guards/sfs.

Last edited:
If Brandon was the lone man playing on this syracuse team and had to do everything himself he would've had worse numbers. Triche really benefited from having a compliment of great players around him. that's not a bad thing, but many players are better when they have a better supporting cast. Triche played with Scoop, Waiters, Cater-Williams, Cooney, Fair, Kris Joseph...those were just some of the guards/sfs.
Maybe. Or maybe not. I tend to lean the other way.

I've watched a lot of games from 2011-2013 recently and Triche was really good at getting to the basket and really good in transition. He was not a great 3point shooter, but was above average in just about everything else. Personally I think he was a better player than Tyus Battle especially after watching those games.
Same. H0t take incoming, but I think Tyus was overrated as a player and shouldn't have been the lead dog in an offense. He was exceptionally inefficient and played on an offense with limited possessions.

Yeah. Triche was so effective defensively, on the boards and just a bull in the lane. He could just do things Joe and Buddy could not. He had more talent around him but he also just made winning plays night in night out.

Numbers/offense wise I think both Joe and Buddy will long run be better. Defense/rebounding they have a long ways to go to catch up.

Robo-Triche was an absolute clinician on D.
Impeccable positioning, and always fought his way OVER screens.
Being built like a LB helped w that latter part too.

He’s not the shooter either of those guys are, but his everything else was dramatically better.

He’s not the shooter either of those guys are, but his everything else was dramatically better.
Why can't I stop myself from responding?

Never mind. He's shot very well from 3 in recent years. We'll leave it at that.

Girard has a better handle than Triche and I would say he has better court vision. Triche was bigger, stronger and very good defensively, but let’s compare when Girard is a senior.

Girard has a better handle than Triche and I would say he has better court vision. Triche was bigger, stronger and very good defensively, but let’s compare when Girard is a senior.
When Joe loses his job to Dior? Interesting strategy you've got there.

Why can't I stop myself from responding?

Never mind. He's shot very well from 3 in recent years. We'll leave it at that.

He hasn’t been a college underclassman “in recent years”.
We’ll leave it at that.

I double dog dare you not to respond to this!!
:p

So coming back around to Griffin again there are a few more interesting nuggets.

1- He averaged almost 9 pts a game and did so averaging just over 6 shots a game.

2- Carryover from the first observation, he had a total of 3 poor shooting nights. 2 of those were vs Rutgers and then early on vs Citadel. There were a few games where he only got up a couple shots as well.

3 - Clearly if he becomes a focal point of the offense you would naturally expect his efficiency numbers to come down . That said, the Big Ten was really strong this year and he played well in conference for the most part with a minutes/shots slump over 4 games in January.

How can you say joe has a better handle since he could never really finish in traffic? As a fresh triche was very strong going to the hoop.

I mean we lost 14 games and we are probably losing our best player. Don't expect to make these top 25 to 40 lists.
We were just listed 13th in the country a couple of posts earlier in this thread.

Griffin has a lot of talent and will thrive in the Syracuse system, where he will get playing time and freedom he never had at Illinois. If you believe in statistics, and you should, our offense is going to be outstanding next season, and our defense should be a little better.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking everyone has the same level of basketball knowledge that you do. Elijah was a very good player for us but Alan is going to be an upgrade. He is going to shoot it significantly better from the outside, he is going to finish inside significantly better, he is going to rebounder significantly better and turn it over much less. He won’t get as many assists but we have Joe and Marek and Kooky to do that.

We were just listed 13th in the country a couple of posts earlier in this thread.

Griffin has a lot of talent and will thrive in the Syracuse system, where he will get playing time and freedom he never had at Illinois. If you believe in statistics, and you should, our offense is going to be outstanding next season, and our defense should be a little better.

Don’t make the mistake of thinking everyone has the same level of basketball knowledge that you do. Elijah was a very good player for us but Alan is going to be an upgrade. He is going to shoot it significantly better from the outside, he is going to finish inside significantly better, he is going to rebounder significantly better and turn it over much less. He won’t get as many assists but we have Joe and Marek and Kooky to do that.

The guy who averaged 9 points per game coming off the bench at Illinois is going to be an upgrade over a first team all ACC player? I hope you are right but I just have a hard time believing that. Why didn’t he start?

Our rebounding will improve a tad with Griffin in for Eli.

however, even if JG3 and Buddy play the top of zone better than last year, our defense will still be average at best. Eli is a little better defender than Griffin as well.

hopefully our improved rebounding will limit second chance opportunities, because that will be our best defense next year - limiting teams to 1 shot.

even though Eli is a stud I think our offense will be better next year

The guy who averaged 9 points per game coming off the bench at Illinois is going to be an upgrade over a first team all ACC player? I hope you are right but I just have a hard time believing that. Why didn’t he start?
The coach for Illinois valued defense and Alan was not a good man defender. He is a bit of a tweener, which can be a problem playing man.

I do not anticipate he will be a great defender in our zone, especially in his first year. Well coached teams will attack his area and get some good looks. But Elijah wasn't a very good defender either. It wasn't until the second half of his junior season that he finally started getting his rotations down and stopped getting beat regularly down low. I expect Alan, while not a great rebounder, will still be an upgrade over Elijah, whose reluctance to hit the boards hurt us a lot on defense. We were really bad getting defensive rebounds and he was a big part of the problem.

On defense, I think it will end up a push. On offense, the better outside shooting, better finishing the paint and less turnovers will offset the loss in assists and make the offense better.

Marek, Bourama, Quincy, Joe and Buddy will all continue to improve, Kadary is a big upgrade to our backcourt and between Robert and Woody, we should have that 4th forward we were lacking last season. And one of the young guys should emerge to become a passable backup at center. Maybe we add a veteran here as well.

In addition to what Tomcat said, Griffin was the 6th most efficient offensive player in the country last year. He also rebounds on both sides at a higher clip than Eli. He’s not the creator, penetrator or have the mid range game of Eli. But he’ll be more consistent from 3 and better on the boards.

Eli is the better player, but if we can assume improvements from our key pieces, this team will be better than last year. If Griffin gives us 12-14ppg, 40% from 3 and 6rpg,that’s a very good Eli replacement

Really surprised by the takes that our offense will be better w griffin than it would have been with eli. I could see it being better because others improve but not because we have griffin instead of eli.

In addition to what Tomcat said, Griffin was the 6th most efficient offensive player in the country last year. He also rebounds on both sides at a higher clip than Eli. He’s not the creator, penetrator or have the mid range game of Eli. But he’ll be more consistent from 3 and better on the boards.

Eli is the better player, but if we can assume improvements from our key pieces, this team will be better than last year. If Griffin gives us 12-14ppg, 40% from 3 and 6rpg,that’s a very good Eli replacement

That's good to hear, especially on the rebounding front, but don't we need creators badly? We have shooters. I'd much rather pair Buddy and Joe with an athletic guy that can get to the rim. I know the coaching staff was just trying to add another talented piece, and I'm glad they did.

To me the optimism for next year has to start with Guerrier making a huge leap. He has the upside to take the team to another level. If the Griffin/Eli replacement is even close to a wash I'll be thrilled. Like I said, I hope you guys are right.

That's good to hear, especially on the rebounding front, but don't we need creators badly? We have shooters. I'd much rather pair Buddy and Joe with an athletic guy that can get to the rim. I know the coaching staff was just trying to add another talented piece, and I'm glad they did.

To me the optimism for next year has to start with Guerrier making a huge leap. He has the upside to take the team to another level. If the Griffin/Eli replacement is even close to a wash I'll be thrilled. Like I said, I hope you guys are right.

Griffin and Guerrier played the same amount of minutes and Griffin out produced him in every statistical category. There's a reason the coaches and a lot of fans wanted this guy so bad. He has the ability to do a little bit of everything like most of our SF's and he out produced Guerrier last year.

Nothing against Quincy, but I don't see him being anywhere near the wing player we have featured in the past. If anything he's more of a garbage man type player that is going to get his points off rebounds and feeds 15 feet and in. He's probably going to end up being the 6th man if(when) Griffin gets cleared and play 20-25 MPG.

Griffin and Guerrier played the same amount of minutes and Griffin out produced him in every statistical category. There's a reason the coaches and a lot of fans wanted this guy so bad. He has the ability to do a little bit of everything like most of our SF's and he out produced Guerrier last year.

Nothing against Quincy, but I don't see him being anywhere near the wing player we have featured in the past. If anything he's more of a garbage man type player that is going to get his points off rebounds and feeds 15 feet and in. He's probably going to end up being the 6th man if(when) Griffin gets cleared and play 20-25 MPG.

Griffin was a sophomore, and Guerrier was a freshman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom