Albany Game... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Albany Game...

Offense was not hitting on all cylinders .Gonna need Trimbo and Dord in flow to beat Tar Heels and will need to pick up pace to move ball to do so. Curry will get the pole. Thought O played rather slow, turnover count neither high or low but too many possessions were disrupted by off target passes, drops and some forced shots. Had advantage in possessions today, saw what happens when fogos put ball on ground . Cant hit baskets when rim not up. Hopefully fogos give wings similar chances next week.. Inverting is a clear weapon but one downside of inverting is its leaves attackman up top and vulnerable to opponent transition. That was the one defensive deficiency today , also didnt care for Albany player twice going down middle to cage amongst close d without being hit by body , that simply cant happened next week. Otherwise D was very good whether it be m2m, hedges and rotations. SSDM unit played well including Olexo. Murphy kept position in packages and picked off several passes . Man down was much better . Porter was good and made a few passes upfield which is needed to jumpstart transition.

Still a win over a competitive Albany team, Cuse showed improvement in faceoff game and on D which was important than performance of offense since that O has shown how efficient and potent they can be. Just have to be firing on all cylinders on both ends to win next game. Doable

It's nice not to be talking about goalie play. If there's a lot of talk about the goalie, it often means we didn't play very well and the goalie stood on his head and stole one or we didn't play well and the goalie was mediocre or struggled.

Nice win for the Orange and obviously a must have. Some doubts still remain but there was also a lot of good.

Strange game tempo wise. Albany obviously wanted to strike in transition but were content to work the shot clock when settled. They really didn’t look comfortable and almost looked afraid to shoot. Very odd. Cuse defense was better but still allowed way too many step down looks (which Porter did a nice job on or Albany missed wide). Going to be a huge issue for UNC so going to have to work on it. Short stocks were better and Wykoff was as well. Chris Gray is a different animal though so he’ll have his work cut out for him.

Offense was sloppy, but had some nice individual efforts. Scanlan scoring twice while dodging was a nice surprise and should put the short stick issue behind him. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many shots blocked or not even reach the goalie. Just some strange decisions all around. Bad news is some guys who are getting lots of playing time aren’t producing as much as they should. Good news is that if players like Trimboli and Buttermore get going, this offense will be really really scary. But they need to figure it out soon.

Thought the win was solid but also not crisp and somewhat disappointing at this stage of the season.

D stepped up and a bit of improvement at the X, but still sloppy at times and feel issues remain in both departments... that effort won’t do down the stretch.

Another major concern is ...whatever happened to this vaunted first midfield “the best in the country”?

Other than Curry, both Dordevic and trimbo seem to have taken steps back this season ...Trimbo the worst of the trio for sure ...from bad decision making to poor passing and trying to run through 5 guys with the ball and not dishing/losing it. It has now happened in several meetings . I just don’t understand his game at all this season other than the UVA performance.

Many are pointing to lack of run...Too much from the second group ...not getting In a groove etc but there’s been plenty of run and the problems persist.

Is it spacing,? Feel like there was a lot less alley dodging last year and more from dodging From the wings? Did the hype/mission get to their heads ? Doesn’t feel like the group is playing loose ?

Curious what others see here...

I think the offence played slow to be more deliberate and stop Albs running. I thought the O had taken a step forward a few weeks ago when we were moving the ball very quickly exposing the weak side of the field and opening high percentage shots!

The taking low percentage shots puzzled me as we have the weapons and should continue to rotate the ball to find the open look! I’ve never seen an SU off drop passes so much.

Its a strange year with Covid and this dictates that we need reps for the second line, but this is really messing with the first lines mentality. Our first line is the best in the country there is no debate about this and we need to do everything to build and maintain confidence in this line! There is zero swagger and don’t look comfortable with their roles.

Def, SSDMs and Goalie played well but we go from doing too much to not doing enough! On two occasions we had three guys inside which led to slow approaches to the ball side which led to goals. We have to get comfortable with plan A.

Face offs went well, I really see how difficult it is for them with the new rules and especially the way Refs call the faceoffs each week!

Id still like to see a few more players getting reps inc Ferris.

As always the Staff will work hard to correct these errors. We are over .500 and haven’t put a full game together yet as far as I see so we know that we have not reached our ceiling! It’s understandable with no fall ball and new faces!

Whoever wins this thing this year will deserve it, it’s the most difficult season to manage. We will see some more ups and downs before the season is over:

Thought the win was solid but also not crisp and somewhat disappointing at this stage of the season.

D stepped up and a bit of improvement at the X, but still sloppy at times and feel issues remain in both departments... that effort won’t do down the stretch.

Another major concern is ...whatever happened to this vaunted first midfield “the best in the country”?

Other than Curry, both Dordevic and trimbo seem to have taken steps back this season ...Trimbo the worst of the trio for sure ...from bad decision making to poor passing and trying to run through 5 guys with the ball and not dishing/losing it. It has now happened in several meetings . I just don’t understand his game at all this season other than the UVA performance.

Many are pointing to lack of run...Too much from the second group ...not getting In a groove etc but there’s been plenty of run and the problems persist.

Is it spacing,? Feel like there was a lot less alley dodging last year and more from dodging From the wings? Did the hype/mission get to their heads ? Doesn’t feel like the group is playing loose ?

I think that the hype has definitely had an impact on the first midfield line. That said, it was really hard to evaluate the group last year and maybe they were overrated. Sure they looked like the best first line but they had not played anyone before the season concluded.

Trimboli was making progress towards being what he was last year. Ever since he got here he was improving week to week and year to year. Maybe now that he sees that the end is near...he is pressing and trying to do too much. He has done it versus elite competition in the past. I hope he can get back to form.

I agree that Trimboli seems off. Just not always making the right decision and not finding the back of the net on his shots. However, besides a slump from him, I have absolutely no worries about the 1st middie line.

The main reasons for the drop in points they have compared to the rest of the team are positive not negative. Those reasons include Rehfuss completely going off this year and giving us a legitimate attack threat both as a passer and dodger, no matter who a team puts on him, Quinn and Seebold both really stepping up and earning extra time on the field, and Pat March’s offense, which does not emphasize alley dodges.

It is healthier to have your attack be the main points producers for the team. In recent years we have relied on middie production for far too much. Then we run into a good d middie unit or effective double pole and just look hopeless (see Towson 2017 or Army last year). Our attack accomplishing nothing last year against army was a far bigger red flag than any instance this year of the 1st middie line not filling up the stat sheet.

Sure enough we have the second or third most efficient offense in the country this year. Hiltz and Scanlan are both excellent finishers/feeders and look better off the dodge every game. Curry and Dordevic are two of the most intimidating dodgers in the country and nearly always get the defense moving even if they don’t get a point on a goal. Hard to think that an elite player like Trimboli will not improve eventually. D and face off concerns completely dwarf any issues I have with the 1st middie line or O as a whole.

Previously posted after Hiltz insertion into lineup that there would be a period of adjustment for mids . He gave the attack a major boost and allowed Refhuss to use his entire skillset rather than limit role to distributing. Happens in hoops all the time when a star talent is brought in. Some benefit, some sacrifice as there is a redistribution but overall output should eventually be higher .Only one ball but now six share rather than just 4. Offense is now being primarily initiated at x rather than from up top which is significant change in the short run. Every attackman is capable of kicking and skipping passes , when hitting on all cylinders a in/out offense would be hard to shut down. Curry is the mid that has adjusted the best because he has the ability to move, shoot and pass off the catch, he's also used on inverts . Dordevic has a howitzer off step downs but his game is to shake and bake defenders. so where ball received is somewhat key. Trimboli isn't used on inverts and not getting as many touches so natural tendency to press some. . Not a drop off in talent of anyone but an ongoing adjustment to not being primary drivers of offense . Mid Quinn has benefitted off ball and Seebold has been productive when inverting. Seen how potent the offense when flow and spacing there. Besides Trimbo, hoping Buttermore can get rebooted . Twenty goal scorer in 2019 despite limited minutes, another deadly step down shooter that should benefit from kick outs in this offense,

I feel like with Trimboli, he just hasn't been able to get into a groove this season. He really just hasn't been getting that many touches. In the first four games of the year he had 12 shots. For comparison, Dordevic had 27, more than double. Looking back I think they probably could have done more to get him involved in the offense, and now it looks like he is pressing. I think the Albany game was the first I thought he actually didn't play well, the others it just didn't look like he was seeing much of the ball. Curry has only one more shot than he has taken this year (29 to 28) but Curry can effect the game in different ways. Trimboli did have good assist numbers in 2018 and 2019, but he only has 2 this year. Its hard to make everyone happy with this offense since you have so many options.

Overall I think the offense is better with things more balanced between the attack and the midfield, but I think it would be better if there was more balance in the first midfield - not to make Dordevic the bad guy but maybe he takes less shots and the second midfield sees less time. Maybe with ACC games coming up they'll run the 1s more. Lucas Quinn has more shots than either Curry or Dordevic with 31, which is probably not something you want.

As for Dordevic, his stats don't look that bad, but he has taken a lot of shots (third on the team with 42) but more concerning is his turnovers at 14 - already a career high. His issues are a bit harder to diagnose than Trimboli's. I think defenses have been quick to slide on him, and he's struggling a bit with his decision making. He's a shoot first midfielder and I think he just needs to be quicker about reading a defense and moving the ball. Plus his rollback is becoming a bit predictable. And a few times he's let the ball fall out of the back of his stick while winding up for a shot, which is weird to see. Obviously he's very talented, and if he puts it all together he'll be unstoppable, but he's not quite there yet.

I don't think the offseason press got to the midfielders' heads, but other coaches had a whole Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter to hear about how good these guys are, and how to game plan around them. Again, the attack has also stepped up which makes the team more dangerous. Lastly, I do think in some of these games against non-ACC teams Syracuse is trying to play things straight up, as to not let too much tape get out about things they may try. Desko said this about their invert strategy. Since the last three games of the season are all against ACC opponents (who the offense has performed well against, minus the fourth quarter of the ND game), they probably won't hold back anymore.

Thought Myles Jones and Mike Corey did a nice job announcing game. Easy to listen to, neither talked away, commentary focused on game and Jones provided some player insight and perspective. Found game itself to be somewhat boring given the pace

Thought Myles Jones and Mike Corey did a nice job announcing game. Easy to listen to, neither talked away, commentary focused on game and Jones provided some player insight and perspective. Found game itself to be somewhat boring given the pace
Agreed. Myles Jones was kind of funny in his analysis and I respected his offensive midfield bias. I don't think I recall him mentioning a shot opportunity he did not like! It was never the shot choice it was where the shot was placed that he criticized if it was stopped. You got to get that shot at a different placement or change your approach so the goalie can't track it. I always liked Myles game and wished that he was at Syracuse instead of Duke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom