ALERT- Judas Marrone will be on Mike and Mike at 915 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ALERT- Judas Marrone will be on Mike and Mike at 915

Truth. There wasn't a sure fire 1st round qb in this years draft but curious why the Bills took EJ in round 1 when he'd likely have been there in rd 2.

i'm not one to always defer to gms on talent evaluation but i will defer to them on when they think other teams are going to pick a guy. they know better than i do what other teams are going to do. if they didn't think he'd be there, they probably have pretty good information

Philly.

You think Philly was after EJ or you think Philly will draft Nassib?

I think the birds should be looking at Minter or Brown @ LB, Taylor @ CB or Banks @ CB/S if they're going to make the pick at 35. Otherwise they should be looking to trade down in the 2nd round if they can get another 3rd or 4th rounder out of it.

Again, to reiterate, the title was tongue in cheek...i should have used quotes around Judas...or probably not used the word at all. I was being facetious because of some of the hyperbolic commentary I have been hearing
So in other words it was tongue in cheek?

Agree. I was disappointed but not angry about him leaving and about him not drafting Nassib. I thought he had an opportunity to show some class and to help Nassib this morning and he passed. In fact, I think he hurt Nassib's chances even more.

The interview should have been about Nassib, frankly, but it was about Marrone instead.
I think it always comes down to potential. Both have deficiencies to overcome. However, if you look an Manuel, he's got things you can't teach anyone. He's got size, strength and athleticism over Nassib and those can't be taught. So then you gotta look at teachables. We know Nassib is teachable. I don't know if Manuel is but if he is, then Manuel wins 2-1.

It' not the fact that he didn't draft Nassib it's that he drafted Manuel. Just wow!

Did Marrone say they were going to draft RN? I don't believe so. I think that was all media and Board speculation. It's unfortunate for RN, but I don't blame Marrone for drafting the guy they felt suited their needs best. In the long run, RN will not be impacted. He will still have a great opportunity someplace. And those of us who believe that things work out for the best, may realize that he ends up in a better position than having to be THE GUY in Buffalo.

I will be rooting for RN no matter where he ends up.

Did Marrone say they were going to draft RN? I don't believe so. I think that was all media and Board speculation. It's unfortunate for RN, but I don't blame Marrone for drafting the guy they felt suited their needs best. In the long run, RN will not be impacted. He will still have a great opportunity someplace. And those of us who believe that things work out for the best, may realize that he ends up in a better position than having to be THE GUY in Buffalo.

I will be rooting for him wherever he goes. Im a Giants fan so I could care less what the Bills do. I'm sure Ryan's better off going to an organization who keeps coaches more than 3 years.

I think that in the end the real problem people have with Marrone is not what he did per se, but the way he did it. I know that is fairly obvious and has been said man times - but this just really confirms some things about the guy. Obviously he's free to take whoever he wants, may not have had the final say, and it's probably better for Ryan. That is not really the point!

Given the high level speculation that the Bills would take Nassib, and given the reality that the Bills passing on him twice likely hurt his draft position and potentially the way he is viewed by the fanbase of whatever team lands him, and given that Marrone's success at Syracuse which led to his getting an NFL HC position went hand in hand with Nassib's success at the quarterback position (not saying sans Nassib he had no shot, but Cuse and Marrone got lucky having that guy around there is no doubt) - at the very least he could come out and say something about how Ryan is an incredibly good prospect but that for the system he wants to install he was not the best fit. He might have thrown in a 'I sure hope he doesn't end up in the AFC east because in the right system the guy is a winner.'

We all know how messy the departure was and how from a Syracuse perspective it was poorly played by Marrone.

So this is just sort of the 2nd example, the confirmation, that the guy is indeed a completely selfish jerk. Could you picture HCSS handling things in a similar way if he were facing these circumstances - I can't in a million years.

It really is just the perception more than anything at this point. Here's what Bill Barnwell from Grantland said this morning:

Think about what that says for Nassib's draft stock; it's bad enough that the rest of the league thinks he's mediocre, but now it's even worse since we know that his old college head coach feels the same way.

That about sums up why people are worked up about it. I'm not worked up about it myself because I think being tied too much to your college coach is a recipe for disaster, but I can certainly see the argument that it can only hurt his stock.

now hes a judas because he doesnt take a 4th round talent in the 1st just to make the Syracuse fans, WHO ARE NOT BILLS FANS, happy.

good lord.

go find me 1 bills fan who now thinks the SuperBowl is out of the question because nassib is not there.

just 1.

Oh Lord

Never took you for a particularly religious type, UEO. But the frequency of your invocation of the Lord's name (in vain, I might add) has been off the charts lately ... :noidea:

As for the 'it's a business argument' I am not sure why people think making smart business decisions excuses being classless and selfish. Who do you respect more - Warren Buffet or Donald trump (who has destroyed more shareholder capital than anyone else I can think of). Being gentlemanly is almost never a bad way to go as a businessperson in the long-run. The decisions you make are incredibly important, but the way you implement them might say more about your long-term ability to succeed. There are many counter-examples, but by and large the bad guys do wind up losing one way or another. I think the way Marrone handled his departure and the way he didn't come out supporting Nassib regardless of his decision makes him at least seem like a bad guy. I thank the guy for starting the turnaround and moreover for hiring Shafer. But it's hard to wish him luck out there in Kodak land.

I'm more likely to root for Ryan now that he won't be a Bill. As a Jets fan, I cannot bring myself to cheer for anything Buffalo. Best case, Nassib becomes a Jet and my problems are solved. :)

It really is just the perception more than anything at this point. Here's what Bill Barnwell from Grantland said this morning:

That about sums up why people are worked up about it. I'm not worked up about it myself because I think being tied too much to your college coach is a recipe for disaster, but I can certainly see the argument that it can only hurt his stock.

As much as I hate to say it, Ryan's best landing spot is New England and becoming Brady's understudy. Belichik won't waste the kid and will get the best out of him. New England's offense would be perfect for Nassib.

As much as I hate to say it, Ryan's best landing spot is New England and becoming Brady's understudy. Belichik won't waste the kid and will get the best out of him. New England's offense would be perfect for Nassib.
No, it's perfect for Ryan Mallett, who is Brady's understudy and 10x better than Nassib.

No, it's perfect for Ryan Mallett, who is Brady's understudy and 10x better than Nassib.

F Ryan Mallett. And F the Patriots. ;)

Then send Ryan to Denver. He can be Peyton's understudy.

bottom line is Nassib is mediocre. There is no other way around it. He put up good numbers vs putrid competition and wile standing behind one of the best offensive lines we have ever had. I can easily see him slipping to the 3rd round at this point.

Side note: The Bills are just a trainwreck. Drafting a guy who would have bee available in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round so early... typical. Why not just draft Tavon Austin and take your qb later on (they will all still be there???) Puzzling.

I think the way Marrone handled his departure and the way he didn't come out supporting Nassib regardless of his decision makes him at least seem like a bad guy.

How did he not support Nassib? What should he have said? "We thought Nassib was better than Manuel but we picked Manuel instead"?

bottom line is Nassib is mediocre. There is no other way around it. He put up good numbers vs putrid competition and wile standing behind one of the best offensive lines we have ever had. I can easily see him slipping to the 3rd round at this point.

Side note: The Bills are just a trainwreck. Drafting a guy who would have bee available in the 2nd or maybe 3rd round so early... typical. Why not just draft Tavon Austin and take your qb later on (they will all still be there???) Puzzling.

Mediocre, what were you watching. The kid can spin the ball. He has some issues, but mediocre, ridiculous.

The way he ran to offense was spectacular this year, the level of responsiblity that he had vs what other guys had, not even close.

I didn't hear the interview, but based on the comments from the nancy contingent in this thread, it went something like this:

M&M: "Hi coach. Many were shocked that you decided to take EJ Manuel instead of Ryan Nassib. Care to comment on that?"

Marrone: "Who?"

M&M: "Ryan Nassib..."

Marrone: "Oh...him. *laughing* You really expected me to draft that joke? He's terrible."

M&M: "Well, ah...coach, I was reading a Syracuse fan message board and it's apparent that many believe this to be a travesty. Truly a selfish act of disloyalty. Would you disagree with that?"

Marrone: "Of course I would. This is the NFL. I've got enough to worry about without having to change some no-talent waste of space's diapers. *spits* Are those Syracuse fans still crying about me? Aww, waaah! Loyalty means nothing to me. It's for the mentally weak. I'm looking out for #1, I'm my first and only priority. I don't give a damn about anyone else. I'll even stomp on my own kids if it means I can get further in this life!" *hangs up*

How did he not support Nassib? What should he have said? "We thought Nassib was better than Manuel but we picked Manuel instead"?
Look at my post a couple up from the one you quoted - I detail what he should have done there.

Look at my post a couple up from the one you quoted - I detail what he should have done there.

No you didn't. All you posted was that Marrone is classless and selfish with no examples and that he should have supported Nassib more as if spending time massaging Nassib to the media is a productive thing to do.

You know what? The Iggles drafted 4th, and I was really worried that they would pick Dion Jordan of Oregon just b/c Chip Kelly 'knew' him best. Never mind that he'd have to tack on about 20 pounds to play his projected position, never mind that he might lose some of his speed by doing so, and never mind that he wasn't THAT productive at Oregon.

I breathed a sigh of relief when Miami moved up to 3 to take him.

Just my way of saying that I feel no outrage at all at the Bills' bypassing of Nassib. I think they made a mistake by picking Manuel, but not necessarily a mistake of picking Manuel over Nassib.

Besides, our Chip Kelly might just want to have an astute field general like Nassib running his offense...

you offered this...'at the very least he could come out and say something about how Ryan is an incredibly good prospect but that for the system he wants to install he was not the best fit. He might have thrown in a 'I sure hope he doesn't end up in the AFC east because in the right system the guy is a winner.'

umm, hes installing the EXACT SAME SYSTEM. thats why hackett is there.

:bang::bang::bang:

:noidea::crazy:

:rolling:

Oh Lord

No you didn't. All you posted was that Marrone is classless and selfish with no examples and that he should have supported Nassib more as if spending time massaging Nassib to the media is a productive thing to do.
Read post #33. It's not about productivity it's about doing the right thing in a given scenario. He's failed to do that a multitude of times - there can be a right and wrong way to reach the same outcome.

you offered this...'at the very least he could come out and say something about how Ryan is an incredibly good prospect but that for the system he wants to install he was not the best fit. He might have thrown in a 'I sure hope he doesn't end up in the AFC east because in the right system the guy is a winner.'

umm, hes installing the EXACT SAME SYSTEM. thats why hackett is there.
Drafting Manuel implies that they're going to expect the QB to run a bit more than Nassib would be able to at that level.

Either way, he didn't say word one about Nassib's ability to be an NFL quarterback. He should have said a lot about that. More than a lot. Even if he doesn't believe it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom