Alex Trebeck's last shows | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alex Trebeck's last shows

Maybe it's just me, but I think Buzzy may be the best post-Alex host so far.
He’s been great but I also wonder if hosting veteran contestants helps. They’ve been through the filming process before and know how to use the buzzer well. I’d love to see Buzzy host newbies to see how he does with them. But I like what I see so far from him.

Maybe it's just me, but I think Buzzy may be the best post-Alex host so far.
I didn't care for him as a contestant, but much to my surprise, I thought he was excellent in his stint as host.

I didn't care for him as a contestant, but much to my surprise, I thought he was excellent in his stint as host.
You can tell he loves the game, and is excited about it.

I haven't watched many of the replacement hosts, but I watched a ton of game shows over the years and I'm pretty opinionated about my hosts. I don't particularly care for the current trend to have celebrities host game shows. To me, many of them try to hard to be the star of the show, rather than the game and contestants. I think a good game show host is there to keep the game moving and bring out the personalities of those contestants who are a little shy and play off those contestants who already have the lively personality. They also have to seem like they are having fun and be quick to laugh.

For example:
Bob Barker - Say what you will about him apparently being a bit of a jerk off-camera, but when the camera rolled, he was the king to me. He bantered so well with the contestants, no matter who won their way on stage. Bob was also very quick to laugh and generally looked like he was having a great time every show playing games and meeting new people. I think this sentence I read about Bob sums his up - Barker was not over the top; his mannerisms and wittiness were spot on.

Alex - Not as much in his early years, but as he grew into the role on Jeopardy, he was excellent with the contestants and started to show his personality more.

Bob Eubanks - He was great on Newlywed Game and Card Sharks. Very quick to laugh, particularly on Newlywed Game.

I usually don't like the celebrity game shows as much but I loved Gene Rayburn on Match Game.

One other host that has been gone awhile but I enjoyed was Bill Cullen. Interesting fact about Bill - he had polio as a child and it affected his walking pretty noticeably. So if you watch any of his shows, you will notice he doesn't have a long walk out like Bob Barker. They always had his sets organized so Bill was either already seated or only had to take a few steps to his podium to sit down.

Didn't mean to derail this thread, but basically I hope Jeopardy chooses someone who won't try to make the show too much about themselves.

I haven't watched many of the replacement hosts, but I watched a ton of game shows over the years and I'm pretty opinionated about my hosts. I don't particularly care for the current trend to have celebrities host game shows. To me, many of them try to hard to be the star of the show, rather than the game and contestants. I think a good game show host is there to keep the game moving and bring out the personalities of those contestants who are a little shy and play off those contestants who already have the lively personality. They also have to seem like they are having fun and be quick to laugh.

For example:
Bob Barker - Say what you will about him apparently being a bit of a jerk off-camera, but when the camera rolled, he was the king to me. He bantered so well with the contestants, no matter who won their way on stage. Bob was also very quick to laugh and generally looked like he was having a great time every show playing games and meeting new people. I think this sentence I read about Bob sums his up - Barker was not over the top; his mannerisms and wittiness were spot on.

Alex - Not as much in his early years, but as he grew into the role on Jeopardy, he was excellent with the contestants and started to show his personality more.

Bob Eubanks - He was great on Newlywed Game and Card Sharks. Very quick to laugh, particularly on Newlywed Game.

I usually don't like the celebrity game shows as much but I loved Gene Rayburn on Match Game.

One other host that has been gone awhile but I enjoyed was Bill Cullen. Interesting fact about Bill - he had polio as a child and it affected his walking pretty noticeably. So if you watch any of his shows, you will notice he doesn't have a long walk out like Bob Barker. They always had his sets organized so Bill was either already seated or only had to take a few steps to his podium to sit down.

Didn't mean to derail this thread, but basically I hope Jeopardy chooses someone who won't try to make the show too much about themselves.

Allen Ludden was famously good, as well.

I love the three great Goodson-Todman shows of the 50's and 60's, which are all on You-Tube: What's My Line with John Daly, I've Got a Secret with Gary Moore, (and later, Steve Allen and To Tell the Truth with Bud Collyer.

They are pure gold.

Allen Ludden was famously good, as well.

I love the three great Goodson-Todman shows of the 50's and 60's, which are all on You-Tube: What's My Line with John Daly, I've Got a Secret with Gary Moore, (and later, Steve Allen and To Tell the Truth with Bud Collyer.

They are pure gold.

Ludden was very good on Password. That was a bit before my time, but I have seen it on YouTube. I grew up in the 1980s so I mainly watched Barker, Trebek, Cullen, Sajak - Wink Martindale was another really good one, Jim Perry, Eubanks.

Some of those I've Got a Secret shows are just fascinating. I enjoy watching those clips.

Ludden was very good on Password. That was a bit before my time, but I have seen it on YouTube. I grew up in the 1980s so I mainly watched Barker, Trebek, Cullen, Sajak - Wink Martindale was another really good one, Jim Perry, Eubanks.

Some of those I've Got a Secret shows are just fascinating. I enjoy watching those clips.
Tom Kennedy, his brother Jack Narz, and Peter Marshall were also very good.

My guest host rankings so far - Ken Jennings—> Buzzy Cohen—> Mayim Bialik—> Aaron Rodgers—> Anderson Cooper—> Mike Richards—> Katie Couric—> Bill Whitaker———————————————————————————————————————-——————————————————————————————-> Dr. Oz.

My guest host rankings so far - Ken Jennings—> Buzzy Cohen—> Mayim Bialik—> Aaron Rodgers—> Anderson Cooper—> Mike Richards—> Katie Couric—> Bill Whitaker———————————————————————————————————————-——————————————————————————————-> Dr. Oz.
Solid power rankings take.

Fair.

Your top 3 are my top 3, maybe not in the same order. I would be happy if any of them became permanent.

Thought this article (came out today) was fitting since rankings were being discussed...

I thought Ken Jennings was out due to his controversial tweets? Or is that not official yet? I like these rankings. Looking forward to seeing Lavar Burton later this summer.

If Aaron Rodgers retired this year to host Jeopardy, it would be the craziest development since Jim Brown