Alford got a shout out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Alford got a shout out

The problem on that catch was that the DB had his hand up in Alford’s face mask and shoved him away from the ball. Alford never even got a chance to get his legs down. One of the clearest examples of Defensive PI I have seen.€
it was an awful call and t he announcers glossed over it..

The problem on that catch was that the DB had his hand up in Alford’s face mask and shoved him away from the ball. Alford never even got a chance to get his legs down. One of the clearest examples of Defensive PI I have seen.€
Agree. On both of Alford's "drops", he was hit when the ball came, including that one where he was wrestled down. No wide open drops like a few of the Clemson receivers had during the game. Still very bullish on him.

Agree. On both of Alford's "drops", he was hit when the ball came, including that one where he was wrestled down. No wide open drops like a few of the Clemson receivers had during the game. Still very bullish on him.

I forgot about all the Clemson drops. We got pretty lucky quite a few times. Normal years they catch those and the score isn’t actually as close as it was this year.

yea, that was a perfect throw.
yep and thanks DMD for linking that. Kid got rocked as soon as it left his hand and bounced up unfazed. Really is a warrior.

That said this play also revealed that #57 DD failed OL school 101. Mostly this year he and the rest of the OL have looked good to even above average so wanna make that overall point, but this is so mostly in the run blocking assignments to help Tucker become the AA his is becoming

This play, however, clearly revealed why we've/they've had such issues on pass blocking here. In this particular case we had four OL blocking 2 guys on the left there, one who missed the stunt they did and allowed the stunting/blitzing LB to have a clean untouched shot at GS.

That was his man and as an OL in straight pass block situations you never leave home when the guy over you leaves your assignment area and another stunts to you. Amazing #1 GS got it off at all, #2 amazed with he was able to get enough velocity on it not short throwing it when he saw he was about to get creamed. In films they best be re-educating DD on this issue if they want their qb to stay upright this year.

What a sequence what a play. I'm more impressed with the qb now having seen that. If he can rid himself of the mistakes he makes like the horrendous int., strengthen his arm a bit, etc., this kid could really be something special.

Last edited:
If he finds a good QB coach for the off season he will be much improved next year. Kids will get better
Shraders mechanics are terrible. Especially below the waist. He’s never set and has terrible weight transfer.

Shraders mechanics are terrible. Especially below the waist. He’s never set and has terrible weight transfer.
It’s no different than with deVito in this sense, most passing plays the OL doesn’t afford time to sit back and read what the D gives you/go through progessions (see above) and allow for the practice of good mechanics, mostly because you’re running for your life not to get sacked.

So in these scenarios he runs and throws ridiculously off balance so of course his mechanics suck. The few times he has time to sit back his mechanics are adequate but the arm is lacking, unlike Devito.

But as I said from day one Devito for all his great passing mechanics and nfl arm, can’t/couldn’t negotiate and succeed with the intangibles needed for the position at a school like syracuse with the o line is not stellar with any consistency.

So yeah, just like with dungy, I’ll take the weaker arm poorer but still sufficient enough mechanics with a kid whose overall skill set can put a team in a position to compete in close games with anyone, and if not for three games in a row with poor coaching decisions, likely win some of those games.

Now that he’s clearly the #1 guy going forward he can work on and improve in the areas he’s lacking, mostly in the offseason. The natural talent is there, the arm and mechanics sufficient (though as you note in need of improvement).

Last edited:
Going back over the past few years, I've heard the coach and QBs mention WRs running wrong routes. This is the issue with this offense because as I understand it there are different route trees based on the read of the defense. This requires the QB and WR to make the same read and then for the ball to be accurately thrown to a spot where the WR is supposed to be. Thats 4 variables right there. This offense quite frankly seems too freeform to be functional with amateurs.
You just described RPOs and most of college football. It can be done - and is done all over CFB.

I think Shrader makes ok decisions and makes ok reads - just inconsistent in his delivery.

Inaccurate?! He was 17-37. And that pass to Pena was so slow to get there that the safety playing a potential Tucker run almost made the play. No more bubble screens because the ball is too slow to get out there. Take away the Pena catch and he’s 16 completions for 129 yards. Thank god for Sean Tucker.
I hate the saying, 'take away this play, and so and so only had this many yards'. You can't pick and choose which plays count, and which don't. The throw to Pena was perfect, and far from slow, I'm not sure what you were watching. Also, Tommy who is supposed to be our better 'thrower' since 2019 has had 5 games where his completion percentage was in the 40's. Give Shrader time, even when he isn't throwing well, he is always a threat on the ground. Not to mention, he's had one offseason to get back into playing QB. The kid is a gamer, and I suspect he'll become a better all around QB.

Inaccurate?! He was 17-37. And that pass to Pena was so slow to get there that the safety playing a potential Tucker run almost made the play. No more bubble screens because the ball is too slow to get out there. Take away the Pena catch and he’s 16 completions for 129 yards. Thank god for Sean Tucker.
Try as you might, that was a great throw.

You just described RPOs and most of college football. It can be done - and is done all over CFB.

I think Shrader makes ok decisions and makes ok reads - just inconsistent in his delivery.
RPO offenses can and usually have defined WR route trees that don't require defensive reads. One WR may be the hot route and is responsible for adjusting their route to be a quicker outlet for high pressures. It doesn't matter if GS makes the right read if a WR is blocking instead of running a route.

Has he watched any of our game?. Shrader's biggest upside is the fact he is a beast, or tough as nails, or any other way you want to characterize the kid. Inaccurate at times as a passer? Sure. But that'll come, he threw an absolute perfect throw to Pena, give him more time to grow, he'll get there. More rapport with Alford will only help the connection.
I love his moxie, but Garrett is inaccurate nearly all the time - and his inaccuracy is pronounced.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a college QB miss as badly as he does, and as often as he does.

He has a funky motion that must impact his ability to throw accurately on a consistent basis.

If he could improve that part of his game, he would be a really tough out for defenses.

I love his moxie, but Garrett is inaccurate nearly all the time - and his inaccuracy is pronounced.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a college QB miss as badly as he does, and as often as he does.

He has a funky motion that must impact his ability to throw accurately on a consistent basis.

If he could improve that part of his game, he would be a really tough out for defenses.
Not sure how much games you are watching on Saturday. Saw a number of qbs with awful throws. The difference is the wr on those teams made great catches. Just look at Clemson’s qb.

We saw a QB last year with a completion rate below 50% and almost as many INTs (8) as TDs (9)

RPO offenses can and usually have defined WR route trees that don't require defensive reads. One WR may be the hot route and is responsible for adjusting their route to be a quicker outlet for high pressures. It doesn't matter if GS makes the right read if a WR is blocking instead of running a route.
Eh - right. Which means some have reads made off of defensive reads. This is common place. You can dial it up or back based on your QB/WR ability to handle it. The less you do the simpler it is to defend. Some of that was happening with TD.

My point was - GS seems to read things ok. His delivery makes him inconsistent in that way.

Yep, I am no quarterbackologist, but his inconsistency is glaring. The same throw may come out like a rocket or a duck. You just never know. He needs to focus on mechanics, because he seems to do a better job than Tommy already at going through his progressions.

We saw a QB last year with a completion rate below 50% and almost as many INTs (8) as TDs (9)
Yes, Rex Culpepper was not an effective passer. He and Garrett may be comparable. I can't really argue that.

The announcers made excuses for the refs not calling PI, saying they were consistent in "letting the players play". But on the referenced play, they should have called a personal foul for the hand to the facemask.

The announcers made excuses for the refs not calling PI, saying they were consistent in "letting the players play". But on the referenced play, they should have called a personal foul for the hand to the facemask.
Watching the DBs on Clemson laughing after that play was infuriating. That kid knew he got away with one. And yes, the announcers made it sound like that was normal play. If that were the case, no WR would ever catch a pass ever again. Just incredible.

Not sure how much games you are watching on Saturday. Saw a number of qbs with awful throws. The difference is the wr on those teams made great catches. Just look at Clemson’s qb.
I was at the game and watched all of it.

Uiagalelei, is a big time player, with an NFL arm. He is strong, and has very good technique.

Last week, he threw the ball where it could be caught by some very talented WRs - who did make a series of excellent catches.

I don't think anyone would seriously compare Garrett to Uiagalelei.

Shrader plays hard and our receivers did drop a number of bad, but catchable passes.

Too often, however, Garrett Shrader throws into the ground or nowhere near the receiver.

And when the field is shortened - in the red zone - his inaccuracy presents a real problem - see the red zone INT he threw last week.

I suspect that part of the reason Babers kicked the FG was because of concern that even if the Orange got the first down, Garrett would be forced to throw in a congested secondary - and would throw another INT.

So, don't get me wrong. I like the guy - I like his size and strength and speed. I think the team has shown that it can move the ball with him at QB.

But, in the long term we need a major upgrade at that position. .

Last edited: