Alford got a shout out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Alford got a shout out

no comparison at all bro, none
Maybe so.

Rex may have been a bit more accurate with less arm strength.

Neither is accurate enough to allow us to truly compete at this level.

And yet, we have competed quite nicely the past 3 weeks.
to say the least, and we're likely and very possibly a few bad coaching decisions away from not only competing nicely, but winning outright. To say otherwise is laughable, fake news if you will, flying in the face of reality but spin toward ones biased beliefs, for whatever reason. Does Shrader need to improve? Of course, would it make sense to try and recruit over him? Again yes, no brainer give it a whirl.

But to say we're not "truly" competing with Shrader?! That's laughable.

Last edited:
Maybe so.

Rex may have been a bit more accurate with less arm strength.

If I didn't know better, this post suggests that you're a neophyte college football fan. Really, really bad comparison.

Venables is the best DC in college football. He defense is full of bait to make QB's think receivers are open only to have a guy waiting to jump the route. He has the athletes to run this kind of defense, fast, tall and very high football IQ. Go back and watch the game again and watch the secondary and what they are doing. Shrader is smart and he could see this and in at least 2 instances that I noticed, he threw the ball away which looked like bad passes but were actually smart throws. Having to face that kind of D puts doubt in your mind every throw and is not conducive to having a good day passing the ball.

I agree that his passing looks really ugly at times, but then he has times where he looks pretty good, moving around, finding open guys and hitting them. Combined with his legs it's about moving the ball and scoring. I wouldn't use Clemson as too much of a barometer for that, no one scores much against them.

We've been competitive the last 4 weeks. Assuming he improves, we're not in the worst place. Especially given 2019 and 2020.

In a game against Clemson, the QB is under maximum duress, he is not going to have a big day passing. It's really on the receivers to make some great catches and catch every ball that they should. Which they didn't.

- WRs dropped a TON of balls v Clemson.
- We don’t know how many ran wrong routes blowing up other plays.
- Shrader threw a bunch of ugly dead ducks

I don’t expect GS to magically become a highly efficient passer but if his guys make catches and we’re not facing Clemson’s D then I feel good about him leading us to wins.

If I didn't know better, this post suggests that you're a neophyte college football fan. Really, really bad comparison.
Maybe so. But it hasn't shown up in the passing numbers yet. They are similar between the two.

Obviously running is a huge part of GS game and has us competitive. But his passing numbers are not great.

yep and thanks DMD for linking that. Kid got rocked as soon as it left his hand and bounced up unfazed. Really is a warrior.

That said this play also revealed that #57 DD failed OL school 101. Mostly this year he and the rest of the OL have looked good to even above average so wanna make that overall point, but this is so mostly in the run blocking assignments to help Tucker become the AA his is becoming

This play, however, clearly revealed why we've/they've had such issues on pass blocking here. In this particular case we had four OL blocking 2 guys on the left there, one who missed the stunt they did and allowed the stunting/blitzing LB to have a clean untouched shot at GS.

That was his man and as an OL you never leave home when the guy over you leaves your assignment area and another stunts to you. Amazing #1 GS got it off at all, #2 amazed with he was able to get enough velocity on it not short throwing it when he saw he was about to get creamed. In films they best be re-educating DD on this issue if they want their qb to stay upright this year.

What a sequence what a play. I'm more impressed with the qb now having seen that. If he can rid himself of the mistakes he makes like the horrendous int., strengthen his arm a bit, etc., this kid could really be something special.
what is tucker doing on that play. if he takes the free release and ignores the blitz then he can only do that if he assumes the throw is coming to him quickly.. shouldnt he be seeing the blitz pick up first before he releases? this also shows that 30-35 yds is about the limit of his arm on most throws.

what is tucker doing on that play. if he takes the free release and ignores the blitz then he can only do that if he assumes the throw is coming to him quickly.. shouldnt he be seeing the blitz pick up first before he releases? this also shows that 30-35 yds is about the limit of his arm on most throws.

I thought the same thing. There’s a lot of things I can assume on the play but my hunch is that Tucker has it in his head that he is the release valve and doesn’t take it upon himself to ignore the release and pick up the blitz. Free thinkers vs robots.

Good news is that Shrader’s passing yards per game are moving on an upward trend the last three games (150, 160, 190) but his percentage has declined over those same 3 games (56.5, 55.6, 45.9). Attempts (23, 27, 37).

The more passes he throws the yards go up the percentage goes down.

Good news is that Shrader’s passing yards per game are moving on an upward trend the last three games (150, 160, 190) but his percentage has declined over those same 3 games (56.5, 55.6, 45.9). Attempts (23, 27, 37).

The more passes he throws the yards go up the percentage goes down.

I'm gonna guess that's more a function of facing stouter D's (that's what she said!) over those 3 weeks.

Clemson has the stud athletes to be able to load the box to stop Tucker & Shrader's runs (to an extent), while still having enough talent at DB to cover our totally average WR's.

I seriously doubt we'll face another defense for the rest of this season that can do BOTH of those things, at the same time, like Clemson & Venables can.

IF VT tries the same gameplan, our WR's will be more open, and passing completions will happen.
And also - we should still have success on the ground as well.

yep and thanks DMD for linking that. Kid got rocked as soon as it left his hand and bounced up unfazed. Really is a warrior.

That said this play also revealed that #57 DD failed OL school 101. Mostly this year he and the rest of the OL have looked good to even above average so wanna make that overall point, but this is so mostly in the run blocking assignments to help Tucker become the AA his is becoming

This play, however, clearly revealed why we've/they've had such issues on pass blocking here. In this particular case we had four OL blocking 2 guys on the left there, one who missed the stunt they did and allowed the stunting/blitzing LB to have a clean untouched shot at GS.

That was his man and as an OL you never leave home when the guy over you leaves your assignment area and another stunts to you. Amazing #1 GS got it off at all, #2 amazed with he was able to get enough velocity on it not short throwing it when he saw he was about to get creamed. In films they best be re-educating DD on this issue if they want their qb to stay upright this year.

What a sequence what a play. I'm more impressed with the qb now having seen that. If he can rid himself of the mistakes he makes like the horrendous int., strengthen his arm a bit, etc., this kid could really be something special.

I just went through that play back and forth, and I think it's Servais who initially screws up, then Tucker and sets the rest up for failure. Servais, Ellis, Bergeron start by triple teaming the DT, as the DE backed into a zone blitz. Dakota took on the other DT who was lined up right in front of him. Thomas of course went wide on Vettorello which is a mismatch all the way. Left a gaping hole for the blitzing linebacker that Tucker should have come up and filled, but he released for a pass.

Thankful it worked out for us. Good design by Venables when you watch where the front 4 actually lined up and how they all stunted right. He created that separation of Dakota and Vettorello.

I just went through that play back and forth, and I think it's Servais who initially screws up, then Tucker and sets the rest up for failure. Servais, Ellis, Bergeron start by triple teaming the DT, as the DE backed into a zone blitz. Dakota took on the other DT who was lined up right in front of him. Thomas of course went wide on Vettorello which is a mismatch all the way. Left a gaping hole for the blitzing linebacker that Tucker should have come up and filled, but he released for a pass.

Thankful it worked out for us. Good design by Venables when you watch where the front 4 actually lined up and how they all stunted right. He created that separation of Dakota and Vettorello.
its not on Tucker at all, that's a preordained route for him to be on for a short dump pass if necessary. No it was all dakota ("all" meaning the clemson player getting an untouched free shot on shrader), having played the position for many a year in straight back pass situations you never leave your assignment zone in that scenario when the DL over you stunts away, because you're supposed to know someone else is coming

Last edited:
its not on Tucker at all, that's a preordained route for him to be on for a short dump pass if necessary. No it was all dakota ("all" meaning the clemson player getting an untouched free shot on shrader), having played the position for many a year you never leave your assignment zone in that scenario when the DL over you stunts away, because you're supposed to know someone else is coming

Hopefully correctable. Guessing he was worried the DT would slip in the open space to his left when Servais joined the crowd.

Good insight to a nice zone blitz by Venables. Only sent 4, but the way they did it was as if he knew we would screw it up.

Thankfully that safety stayed in close instead of tracking the streaking Pena.

And for the record, I've played no football. I'm quite certain I wouldn't have been very good.

Hopefully correctable. Guessing he was worried the DT would slip in the open space to his left when Servais joined the crowd.

Good insight to a nice zone blitz by Venables. Only sent 4, but the way they did it was as if he knew we would screw it up.

And for the record, I've played no football. I'm quite certain I wouldn't have been very good.
Your self deprecation is very endearing.

Your self deprecation is very endearing.

In this case it's true. I'm also a terrible basketball player and I'm 6 foot 3.

I could play a mean baseball and hockey back in the day though. Ironically the sports that SU does NOT have.

its not on Tucker at all, that's a preordained route for him to be on for a short dump pass if necessary. No it was all dakota ("all" meaning the clemson player getting an untouched free shot on shrader), having played the position for many a year you never leave your assignment zone in that scenario when the DL over you stunts away, because you're supposed to know someone else is coming
I get that but at the time Tucker leaves he already knows Davis is not gonna be in a spot to fill that rush lane.. So that means either he has been told to just release anyway or he did it on his own. Either way the QB gets hit..

I get that but at the time Tucker leaves he already knows Davis is not gonna be in a spot to fill that rush lane.. So that means either he has been told to just release anyway or he did it on his own. Either way the QB gets hit..
immaterial that the lane was open as far as it pertains to the Rb, you're trained to find whatever open lane there is available to get out and open, where sometimes you can't and get stuck.

Last edited:

in checking it out again, Servais made the correct read and did what dakota should have done. Check it out again, when his own guy stunted away to his left he went initially but checked back to his lane and took care of the guy stunting to him from dakotas lane (dakotas original guy).

Last edited:
immaterial that the lane was open as far as it pertains to the Rb, you're trained to find whatever open lane there is available to get out and open

That's when I think you need to adlib a bit (I'm going out for a pass but oh sht I better chip that guy who's coming at a dead sprint to my QB.) ...I'm glad we're all analyzing a play to death that actually worked and resulted in a TD lol.

That's when I think you need to adlib a bit (I'm going out for a pass but oh sht I better chip that guy who's coming at a dead sprint to my QB.) ...I'm glad we're all analyzing a play to death that actually worked and resulted in a TD lol.
agree. It's like my old main position, OLB, they want you to at least "chuck" the TE on his way out to impede his progress a bit. Yep

agree. It's like my old main position, OLB, they want you to at least "chuck" the TE on his way out to impede his progress a bit. Yep
thats more what I was thinking. Just a slight check would have stopped the QB from getting blown up and still gotten him out to get a pass.

in checking it out again, Servais made the correct read and did what dakota should have done. Check it out again, when his own guy stunted away to his left he went initially but checked back to his lane and took care of the guy stunting to him from dakotas lane (dakotas original guy).

Now I'm just sort of fascinated, like I'm doing film review that the coaches are going through. I'm not arguing, just learning.

Looks like from here, Servais seems overcommitted to that side and by the time he turns back, #8 would have been right up Shrader's face had Dakota gone right for the blitzer. By the time Servais did turn around and help on #8, he might not have been able to do much but push him toward Shrader.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) that Shrader went for that pass and not the dump off to Tucker. That would have gained yardage, but the sharks would have circled quickly.

1634846743827.png