Alford got a shout out | Syracusefan.com

Alford got a shout out

AAM62

All Conference
On the last episode of the Ryen Russillo podcast. Called Alford a beast but our QB is not.

Has he watched any of our game?. Shrader's biggest upside is the fact he is a beast, or tough as nails, or any other way you want to characterize the kid. Inaccurate at times as a passer? Sure. But that'll come, he threw an absolute perfect throw to Pena, give him more time to grow, he'll get there. More rapport with Alford will only help the connection.

Has he watched any of our game?. Shrader's biggest upside is the fact he is a beast, or tough as nails, or any other way you want to characterize the kid. Inaccurate at times as a passer? Sure. But that'll come, he threw an absolute perfect throw to Pena, give him more time to grow, he'll get there. More rapport with Alford will only help the connection.
Complete agreement. Russillo is now categorized as moron.

If he was saying we have a beast at WR and couldn’t get him the ball on time and in his hands during that 3rd Q and some of the 4th - that would be accurate.

He has to make defenses pay with his arm to really see this offense crack open

If he was saying we have a beast at WR and couldn’t get him the ball on time and in his hands during that 3rd Q and some of the 4th - that would be accurate.

I agree, he definitely needs to become a more consistent thrower. because his running is great. My wonder is, at the end of the Wake game, Shrader looked a little dinged up, I wonder if that is why he didn't run as much in the Clemson game, causing there to be less open targets, so the defense didn't need to account for the QB run threat as much. Pure speculation on my part, but watching the game, I kept thinking that when it seemed the QB run was way under utilized.

I agree, he definitely needs to become a more consistent thrower. because his running is great. My wonder is, at the end of the Wake game, Shrader looked a little dinged up, I wonder if that is why he didn't run as much in the Clemson game, causing there to be less open targets, so the defense didn't need to account for the QB run threat as much. Pure speculation on my part, but watching the game, I kept thinking that when it seemed the QB run was way under utilized.
Yep - I was thinking something similar. For whatever reason they ran him less.

Not sure why so many on the board are sure that Shrader's passing will improve markedly. Was he a great passer at MS? We have had several quarterbacks who didn't pass well when they arrived and didn't pass all that well when they left. Rex Culpepper and Perry Patterson come to mind. Presumably Shrader has been working on his passing since arriving at SU and you can see the results to date.

Last edited:
If he didn't run because he is banged up this will continue to be a problem. I think it was a combination of that and that Clemson typically had a player stay at home and account for him in RPO's so he always handed it off. He can only run the ball so much before getting banged up. He's a big and strong kid but relying on a QB to run that often will not be a recipe for success. Especially when defenses don't respect his passing accuracy and load up to stop him in the run game. Now that teams have seen him play more and exposed his weaknesses, this is going to severely hamper our offense. I'm surprised teams didn't sell out on the run sooner against him. I was on the Shrader train from the beginning of the year and love his competitiveness and toughness but his accuracy has been worse than I expected. He really needs to work on improving it as much as possible or our offense is going to struggle moving forward.

Last edited:

I recall him dropping a very easy catch that had some big gain potential.
Our passing game woes fall on the entire offense, not just the QB.
Pass blocking could be better.
The QB is inconsistent.
The RBs miss some blitzes.
The WRs don't get open enough and they drop a lot of passes and don't really make good adjustments on deep balls that aren't perfectly thrown.
Every once in a while, we connect.

The QB is inconsistent.
The WRs don't get open enough and they drop a lot of passes and don't really make good adjustments on deep balls that aren't perfectly thrown.
Yeah, I've been saying the same as it related to TD. So I get it.

I was referring to the 3-4 times he threw an uncatchable ball. He has to eliminate that.

Well, other than the two drops that hit him in the hands but yes, prob GS fault too

or it could be because Clemson played a different D most of the game to control the running QB and had the athletes to make it work.. They went man a ton on the wides so the Lbs had less to deal with and while we broke some runs they also shut down more with better dline play and some run blitzes.

I also thought he looked labored all game so health was an issue whether injury or cold.

Not sure why so many on the board are sure that Shrader's passing will improve markedly. Was he a great passer at MS? We have had several quarterbacks who didn't pass well when they arrived and didn't pass all that well when they left. Rex Culpepper and Perry Patterson come to mind. Presumably Shrader has been working on his passing since arriving at SU and you can see the results to date.
He has tools but some of his mechanics are screwed up. When they are not screwed up he throws a really nice ball. I’ve noticed he really struggles on any pop pass/quick hitters. He needs to learn to throw with and without the laces. He has another half beat to complete the pass and he rushes. Deep and intermediate are his lower body. Not unexpected from a natural scrambler.

this kid is a freaking gamer. Give me that any day

The QB is inconsistent.
Going back over the past few years, I've heard the coach and QBs mention WRs running wrong routes. This is the issue with this offense because as I understand it there are different route trees based on the read of the defense. This requires the QB and WR to make the same read and then for the ball to be accurately thrown to a spot where the WR is supposed to be. Thats 4 variables right there. This offense quite frankly seems too freeform to be functional with amateurs.

Depends on what you mean by "improve." He's never going to have big time arm talent, but he can improve both his short accuracy and his decision making. I don't think that's unreasonable to expect.

Shrader is a dual threat, who is a bigger threat as a runner than a passer. That's never going to change -- but it also doesn't mean that he can't become a more effective passer, relative to where he is now. Having improved play at WR will help.

McNabb short-hopped a lot of throws, too.

Depends on what you mean by "improve." He's never going to have big time arm talent, but he can improve both his short accuracy and his decision making. I don't think that's unreasonable to expect.

Shrader is a dual threat, who is a bigger threat as a runner than a passer. That's never going to change -- but it also doesn't mean that he can't become a more effective passer, relative to where he is now. Having improved play at WR will help.

McNabb short-hopped a lot of throws, too.
I was a huge Dungey fan but he would throw balls that looked just as bad but he was more consistently accurate. GS just needs to get to Dungey level accuracy. Unfortunately right now he is closer to Rex. I think he can get there. Its fundamentals. Heck DJU was one of the highest rated QBs in his class and his accuracy stinks too but he has massive athletic receivers to bail him out.

alford has all the tools, catches it well enough most times (think he had a couple drops though), certainly looks the part, has the physical skills and will have a nice career here. Unfortunately on that sideline pass he valiantly went up for but came down real hard and hurt his shoulder and/or his head hit hard(concussion?).

Couldn't exactly tell but I'd be surprised to see him out there this weekend. Anyone know how he made out re the injury?

I think with GS it is somewhere between better development of his mechanics and his familiarity with the WR receiving corps. As the number 2 in spring and pre-season behind TD, I bet he didn't get too many of the reps with the WRs. Add the departure of Taj. He is still learning his receivers and route running and catching abilities. It's a lot easier to run and hand off to Tucker with the ground game. Certainly more reps are needed for the passing side and GS is only four games into running the offense full-time.

I would like to see Gilbert use some of the younger, taller receivers more, like Wake and Clemson does to utilize the height advantages in our favor.

j
I think with GS it is somewhere between better development of his mechanics and his familiarity with the WR receiving corps. As the number 2 in spring and pre-season behind TD, I bet he didn't get too many of the reps with the WRs. Add the departure of Taj. He is still learning his receivers and route running and catching abilities. It's a lot easier to run and hand off to Tucker with the ground game. Certainly more reps are needed for the passing side and GS is only four games into running the offense full-time.

I would like to see Gilbert use some of the younger, taller receivers more, like Wake and Clemson does to utilize the height advantages in our favor.
And on passing downs, Elmore is not a threat to do anything even of he catches the ball. You need either Benson or Mang on passing downs.

Unfortunately on that sideline pass he valiantly went up for but came down real hard and hurt his shoulder and/or his head hit hard(concussion?).
The problem on that catch was that the DB had his hand up in Alford’s face mask and shoved him away from the ball. Alford never even got a chance to get his legs down. One of the clearest examples of Defensive PI I have seen.€

Inaccurate?! He was 17-37. And that pass to Pena was so slow to get there that the safety playing a potential Tucker run almost made the play. No more bubble screens because the ball is too slow to get out there. Take away the Pena catch and he’s 16 completions for 129 yards. Thank god for Sean Tucker.

Inaccurate?! He was 17-37. And that pass to Pena was so slow to get there that the safety playing a potential Tucker run almost made the play. No more bubble screens because the ball is too slow to get out there. Take away the Pena catch and he’s 16 completions for 129 yards. Thank god for Sean Tucker.
Not sure that's the conclusion I took away from that throw.

Or maybe it was Clemson’s speed and defensive pressure by stacking the box because there was no passing threat