All fan vitrol aside | Syracusefan.com

All fan vitrol aside

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
We all know in the grand scheme of things that the best thing for the ACC and for SU (if they are going to go to 16) is that the 2 best additions are UConn and Rutgers. Texas isn't coming. WVU is likely to the SEC so I don't count them and ND, even if in for all sports, will still get some kind of special treatment for bowls or their TV deals. Screw that. Make it the Atlantic seaboard and be done with it.

Bees, I believe we once had a poster who said it was a fact that we would never be invited in to the ACC. One, have we heard from said poster and 2. wouldn't it be safe to say that not only were we invited but that the ACC was a bit afraid we wouldn't accept with the Big 10 looming?

Bees, I believe we once had a poster who said it was a fact that we would never be invited in to the ACC. One, have we heard from said poster and 2. wouldn't it be safe to say that not only were we invited but that the ACC was a bit afraid we wouldn't accept with the Big 10 looming?
Perhaps said poster has been busy hiding his Duke Law School diploma.

He went to, if you can believe him, Virginia for Law sschool

We all know in the grand scheme of things that the best thing for the ACC and for SU (if they are going to go to 16) is that the 2 best additions are UConn and Rutgers. Texas isn't coming. WVU is likely to the SEC so I don't count them and ND, even if in for all sports, will still get some kind of special treatment for bowls or their TV deals. Screw that. Make it the Atlantic seaboard and be done with it.

I think if Rutgers were left out completely, which is probably a longshot at this point, it would help SU football tremendously. I'd love adding UConn and ND, Rutgers gets left out in the cold, and our recruiting dominance in Jersey returns to 1990s levels.

totally agree. it would push, or actually 'keep'...the big10 in 'big10 country'.

I see UConn as being an obvious addition.

The 16th member is not so clear, imo. Rutgers has some appeal (location, academics), but they really don't bring much to the table in terms of football. They DEFINITELY don't bring anything to the ACC in terms of basketball. We all know Bball is important to the ACC, and they aren't about to dilute their product by adding RU.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lville or Kansas ending up in the ACC. Both bring a lot of clout with their hoops programs. They are both currently on par with RU football.

With Syr and UConn on board, you wouldn't need RU to get the NYC market.

Dream scenario would be UConn and Penn State or Notre Dame.

I disagree, you don't want the Big 10 with ANY kind of access to NYC. I think it best the ACC secures the New England area most ricky-tick! Think of the implications if ND and Rutgers go to the Big 10 on the NYC metro area. Take Rutgers and assure ND moves closer to irrelevance although they'll still be popular but with less support in NYC.

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer, eh? I just like the thought of less recruiting competition in the northeast.

I disagree, you don't want the Big 10 with ANY kind of access to NYC. I think it best the ACC secures the New England area most ricky-tick! Think of the implications if ND and Rutgers go to the Big 10 on the NYC metro area. Take Rutgers and assure ND moves closer to irrelevance although they'll still be popular but with less support in NYC.
The only thing that will make ND irrelevant is if NBC decides to cancel their TV contract. Rutgers will have nothing to do with the downfall of ND, if it ever happens.

Your thinking nationally, but there is a strong regional impact otherwise. They can play in the declining "Rust Belt" schools. But, their regional impact will decline with stronger regional coverage. That coverage with the other two schools locks them out. Mark it, count it... Take Rutgers and UConn and the NE is locked up PERIOD.

I know what you're thinking, and BIG LETTERS does a stronger argument make :)

Your thinking nationally, but there is a strong regional impact otherwise. They can play in the declining "Rust Belt" schools. But, their regional impact will decline with stronger regional coverage. That coverage with the other two schools locks them out. Mark it, count it... Take Rutgers and UConn and the NE is locked up PERIOD.

I know what you're thinking, and BIG LETTERS does a stronger argument make :)
I actually think Penn State and Notre Dame are the Dream Scenario for the ACC.

If ND is out of the picture, then I would like to see Penn State and UConn as the 15th and 16th members. You lock up Penn State and UConn and you really lock up the eastern seaboard.

B1G will be left scrambling, and either pick up Mizzou or Rutgers to fill in the void left by Penn State.

Penn State is the key to the ACC having every major city from along the Atlantic Coast locked up. That brings a tremendous amount of clout.

I would agree with that scenario. I don't think Penn State goes anywhere. ND has too much baggage. They're the hot chick who always treats SU and its conference like plan B (in the words of Jake). But, that WOULD make Rutgers irrelevant. I just think the quickest way to the promised land is the alternative.

Take Notre Dame or Penn State in addition to UConn and/or Rutgers makes the Big 10 irrelevant on the East Coast. Money will follow.

I think if Rutgers were left out completely, which is probably a longshot at this point, it would help SU football tremendously. I'd love adding UConn and ND, Rutgers gets left out in the cold, and our recruiting dominance in Jersey returns to 1990s levels.

This is my dream. Die, Rutgers, die. And if anyone reads this and thinks I am saying this because I am afraid NJ will rise again, http://media.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./media/forums/emoticons/ohlord.gif

Sure, if rutgers were left to the MAC it would be better, but I don't see that happening at all, nor with UConn.

--------------------

Agree: the "new" ACC with SU, Pitt, BC, MD is not the old ACC where BC was an isolated island.

The ACC made a truly classy, gutsy move:

1) they told UT: either in or out: no part time football, no separate LHN, and best of all the ACC is an Atlantic Coast Conference, meaning UT and no doubt ND are welcome, but no out-of-region "hanger-ons" that could create a geographic hodgepodge. They also said they care about the school and not just the team; meaning no Texas Tech and no WVU.

2) adding UConn and RU would make total sense in terms of capturing the NY and New England market and maximizing that market from a fan and financial perspective, and keeping the Big 10 out of that market. Regional rivalries are the heart of a great conference.

3) By inviting Pitt and SU first, and mentioning UConn and RU as possible additional candidates, they leave a window open to UT and ND, but have served notice they are no longer a southern based conference but see themselves as a east coast PAC.

Regardless this is a great day for SU.

--------------------

Agree: the "new" ACC with SU, Pitt, BC, MD is not the old ACC where BC was an isolated island.

The ACC made a truly classy, gutsy move:

1) they told UT: either in or out: no part time football, no separate LHN, and best of all the ACC is an Atlantic Coast Conference, meaning UT and no doubt ND are welcome, but no out-of-region "hanger-ons" that could create a geographic hodgepodge. They also said they care about the school and not just the team; meaning no Texas Tech and no WVU.

2) adding UConn and RU would make total sense in terms of capturing the NY and New England market and maximizing that market from a fan and financial perspective, and keeping the Big 10 out of that market.

3) By inviting Pitt and SU first, and mentioning UConn and RU as possible additional candidates, they leave a window open to UT and ND, but have served notice they are no longer a southern based conference but see themselves as a east coast PAC.

4) From an SU perspective, adding UConn and RU permits more regional games that are the heart of a great conference.

Regardless this is a great day for SU.

Agree on all counts.

I get UCONN... but why Rutgers? What does that do for SU or the ACC? If they wither away as a D1 Football program after the 4 super-conferences form... why wouldn't that be a good thing?

It eliminates the possibility of regional PSU - Rutgers or Rutgers - ND games that could detract from ACC NYC market value. Whether fans realize it or not, legitimacy of ownership over the entire coast IS important. Even if it is Rutgers...

I get UCONN... but why Rutgers? What does that do for SU or the ACC? If they wither away as a D1 Football program after the 4 super-conferences form... why wouldn't that be a good thing?
RU fans view themselves as being similar to a Maryland or Penn State.

Most other fans outside of New Jersey view them as being a lot closer to Temple.

IMO, Lville brings more to the table than Rutgers. They haven't been able to get their act together in over 100 years. Only reason they had a decent year or two in football was because of our transition from P to GRob. GRob is gone, and RU has started to return to their old ways.

Because they won't wither away. If not the ACC, they will be in the B10. Rather keep the east coast and all the D1 teams in it in the same conference for a lot of reasons.

The one thing I'd be worried about if I were a Rutgers fan right now, is that the ACC schools are absolutely pissed that their hoops product got diluted with the last round of expansion, I don't think Rutgers is a slam dunk.

Agree on all counts.
---------------

Additionally adding Uconn and RU, if UT and ND are out, almost assures the prospect of periodic regional MSG BB playoff games as well as adding the Pinstripe bowl.

I would agree with that scenario. I don't think Penn State goes anywhere. ND has too much baggage. They're the hot chick who always treats SU and its conference like plan B (in the words of Jake). But, that WOULD make Rutgers irrelevant. I just think the quickest way to the promised land is the alternative.

Take Notre Dame or Penn State in addition to UConn and/or Rutgers makes the Big 10 irrelevant on the East Coast. Money will follow.

Agree on PSU. Why would they want to leave the B-10 for ACC? B-10 FB crowds are huge and the conference has a good TV package. Plus, PSU has been mediocre in hoops which is a big factor in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom