All inclusive 2021/22 recruiting thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

All inclusive 2021/22 recruiting thread

I won't be holding my breath. Something smells when we have had 15 departures on a 5-7 team. I certainly felt it was frightening when all the players left the womens team .
It’s 13 departures and of those only Taj would have been a definite starter. A little different than the women’s bball team which basically lost the entire team.

Landon Morris and Cantin-Arku imo were the biggest losses. Loved Morris’s upside and I’ll be curious to see how his career develops. Taj I could honesty care less about and then of the rest, only Harper, Howard, Benson and Cole hurt our rotational depth. But if we’re effective in the portal we can replace them.

Yeah the portal is the answer. Lol. Nothing to see here. I read 15 and something smells. Im not going to play ostrich here.If we dont get a committment this weekend it will be 15 weeks for anyone/any class.

Yeah the portal is the answer. Lol. Nothing to see here. I read 15 and something smells. Im not going to play ostrich here.If we dont get a committment this weekend it will be 15 weeks for anyone/any class.
Since 8/1 there are 13 SU players in the portal. And why should a kid have to announce a commitment this weekend instead of waiting until Wednesday and early signing.

Since 8/1 there are 13 SU players in the portal. And why should a kid have to announce a commitment this weekend instead of waiting until Wednesday and early signing.
Outbound (15)

Landon Morris - TE
Cody Shear - OL
Jarveon Howard - RB - Committed to Alcorn St.
Taj Harris - WR
Tommy Devito - QB - Committed to Illinois
Russel Thompson-Bishop - WR
Latarie Kinsler - DE
Dillon Markewicz - QB
Geoff Cantin-Arku - LB
Curtis Harper - DT
Joe Rondi - DT
Adrian Cole - CB
Luke Benson - TE
Cooper Lutz - RB
Sharod Johnson - WR

It’s actually is now 15 scholarship players - the misleading 247 article includes walk-ons who have left as well and I’m not exactly sure why you’d do that, but with Lutz and Johnson it is now 15.

Half of the guys above were non contributors or chronically injured, and the rest are a mix that we need an upgrade over (like S. Johnson), wanted to leave to start somewhere in their last year (DeVito, Howard) or legitimate contributors who we need to replace (Harper, Cole etc).

As a side note, most of the ACC schools this year have anywhere from 8-14 kids in the portal. Pitt has 4 but they’re the conference champ so I’d expect less attrition there.

Quite frankly, if we can get multiple 2 deep caliber DL and a starter quality WR out of the portal, I’d take that trade if that’s all we get.

Last edited:
Outbound (13)

Landon Morris - TE
Cody Shear - OL
Taj Harris - WR
Latarie Kinsler - DE
Dillon Markewicz - QB
Geoff Cantin-Arku - LB
Curtis Harper - DT
Joe Rondi - DT
Adrian Cole - CB
Luke Benson - TE
Cooper Lutz - RB
Sharod Johnson - WR

Half of these guys were non contributors or chronically injured, and the rest are a mix that we need an upgrade over (like S. Johnson), wanted to leave to start somewhere in their last year (DeVito, Howard) or legitimate contributors who we need to replace (Harper, Cole etc).

As a side note, most of the ACC schools this year have anywhere from 8-14 kids in the portal. Pitt has 4 but they’re the conference champ so I’d expect less attrition there.

Quite frankly, if we can get multiple 2 deep caliber DL and a starter quality WR out of the portal, I’d take that trade if that’s all we get.

I’m actually happy about Sharrod. He should not be on the field or in the rotation. With that said, I am extremely worried…

Outbound (13)

Landon Morris - TE
Cody Shear - OL
Taj Harris - WR
Latarie Kinsler - DE
Dillon Markewicz - QB
Geoff Cantin-Arku - LB
Curtis Harper - DT
Joe Rondi - DT
Adrian Cole - CB
Luke Benson - TE
Cooper Lutz - RB
Sharod Johnson - WR

Half of these guys were non contributors or chronically injured, and the rest are a mix that we need an upgrade over (like S. Johnson), wanted to leave to start somewhere in their last year (DeVito, Howard) or legitimate contributors who we need to replace (Harper, Cole etc).

Teams w pending bowl games yet to play are far less likely to have mass defections.

… until AFTER the bowl games get played.

It only makes sense that the teams who currently lead the Portal Cup standings, are mostly teams whose seasons have already wrapped up.
Like us.

Teams w pending bowl games yet to play are far less likely to have mass defections.

… until AFTER the bowl games get played.

It only makes sense that the teams who currently lead the Portal Cup standings, are mostly teams whose seasons have already wrapped up.
Like us.
And teams with all new coaching staffs will start having purges, more players into the portal.

Not going to be easy to get a WR until we get an OC, and damn do we need one

We’re at a crossroads right now as a program. The 10 guy’s committed are all very good but we were going to have a class of about 20 kids and we could only muster 10 verbals 4 days before the first signing day, and zero high end prospects we’re even battling for down to the wire. This is legit the worst class (and especially close) since Pasqualoni was fired.

It could set the program back a couple of years and if HCDB doesn’t win next season, the next class will be even worse. It’ll be UConn level and would take a home run new hire to salvage it. Death knell type stuff. Hopefully every school just fills up and we luck out getting some good prospects to fall into our lap for Feb4…but this is disappointing and I can’t even spin it.

One thing I’ve learned over the years, when you hope for secret verbals and surprise commitments they rarely happen.

That’s the one thing i think JW did not weigh enough was the lame duck status of Dino. He did neither Dino or the program any favors leaving him hanging out there with little chance of getting a high end OC coach for 1 year. Looks like he may just be waiting his time for Tony next year….which again is a risk….

Not going to be easy to get a WR until we get an OC, and damn do we need one

When you’re trying to pry kids out of the portal, specifically at WR, and they can’t talk to their future OC or position coach, it’s just way too much to compete against. I’be always been an optimistic person regarding recruiting; but I hate what’s happening right now.

Phat is completely right. We are left with a wish and a prayer, hoping other schools fill up after early NSD and we can swoop in.

There will be more kids entering the portal after the bowls are over. This is going to be an extended recruiting cycle this year created by the portal, February and beyond. This is why there is discussion of pushing early signing back until January.

Identify the positions of need punter, oline ,wr etc. Find a name in the portal for each position of need and put them in touch with each other. Sell them on the package deal of turning the team around “Big Time”.

I wanted to start an all inclusive recruiting thread for this winter. Don’t like cluttering prospect threads with general discussion and things get lost.

This is the lowest number of kroots I can ever remember this late in the year. (And I’ve been paying attention since ‘90). What we’re doing and what we’re going to do is a mystery to me. I’ve ever never seen anything like it and there’’s been literally nothing floating around the web. I can usually get stuff from various newspapers around the country but it’s been literally radio silence.

With the number of pseudo starters and depth guys hitting the portal and the lack of our recruiting right now I’m generally worried about the gap it’s going to cause this program for the foreseeable future. With HCDB on thin ice it also potentially impacts the next guy.

The negative recruiting about Babers as a dead man walking is likely working w/ high school targets. The idea that we're only one or two wins away from securing his job is not convincing. But the portal players and JUCOs are probably less concerned, especially if they're looking for a year as a starter or on a bigger stage to make their case for the pros. By necessity, we will have to hit the portal hard.

Outbound (13)

Landon Morris - TE
Cody Shear - OL
Taj Harris - WR
Latarie Kinsler - DE
Dillon Markewicz - QB
Geoff Cantin-Arku - LB
Curtis Harper - DT
Joe Rondi - DT
Adrian Cole - CB
Luke Benson - TE
Cooper Lutz - RB
Sharod Johnson - WR

It’s 13 scholarship players - the misleading 247 article includes walk-ons who have left as well and I’m not exactly sure why you’d do that.

Half of the guys above were non contributors or chronically injured, and the rest are a mix that we need an upgrade over (like S. Johnson), wanted to leave to start somewhere in their last year (DeVito, Howard) or legitimate contributors who we need to replace (Harper, Cole etc).

I would love to get multiple two deep level players out of the portal I just do not see it happening. Most p5 schools are picking up players out of the portal now. SU 14 left 0 committed.

There will be more kids entering the portal after the bowls are over. This is going to be an extended recruiting cycle this year created by the portal, February and beyond. This is why there is discussion of pushing early signing back until January.
Not sure how pushing early signing period back helps anyone but the blue bloods. Portal players will be committed by January because they want to be on campus for spring semester. Pushing back high school signing only gives the blue bloods more time to flip players who excelled in the senior season like Allen.

It’s going to be another long year in ‘22 and until Cuse gets someone new at HC, we will struggle in recruiting like we are now. Other teams are filling in the blanks and we still have blanks…many blanks.

The negative recruiting about Babers as a dead man walking is likely working w/ high school targets. The idea that we're only one or two wins away from securing his job is not convincing. But the portal players and JUCOs are probably less concerned, especially if they're looking for a year as a starter or on a bigger stage to make their case for the pros. By necessity, we will have to hit the portal hard.
Agreed. The portal kids and jucos who don’t care and just want to start and showcase their talents. There’s positives and negatives to it. Obviously lesser portal kids aren’t gonna help. (Swider). It’s just unknown if it’s the way to build and sustain. We don’t have a choice though.

2 crucial visit weekends and not 1 commitment out of them, with a bunch of portal offer guys not even bothering to visit. I can’t toe the company line anymore. Compounded by not even getting coaches hired in time to help recruit, no OC identified, that’s stuff that should’ve been planned out before you decide to let guys go. Wildhack should’ve cut bait because short of a miraculous turnaround it’s going to be even worse next year.

Is hope a good thing or as Red says is it dangerous and can drive a man insane. We’ll have to ask Dino about that movie quote exchange.

Not sure how pushing early signing period back helps anyone but the blue bloods. Portal players will be committed by January because they want to be on campus for spring semester. Pushing back high school signing only gives the blue bloods more time to flip players who excelled in the senior season like Allen.
The reason coaches are discussing pushing back signing to January is because of portal transfers, not the HS kids. There will be another large influx of portal transfers after signing day.

Agreed. It’s so the blue bloods can poach and pick over the portal guys first and then fill out their class with the HS kids. Hopefully they’re some table scraps left over.

Agreed. The portal kids and jucos who don’t care and just want to start and showcase their talents. There’s positives and negatives to it. Obviously lesser portal kids aren’t gonna help. (Swider). It’s just unknown if it’s the way to build and sustain. We don’t have a choice though.

2 crucial visit weekends and not 1 commitment out of them, with a bunch of portal offer guys not even bothering to visit. I can’t toe the company line anymore. Compounded by not even getting coaches hired in time to help recruit, no OC identified, that’s stuff that should’ve been planned out before you decide to let guys go. Wildhack should’ve cut bait because short of a miraculous turnaround it’s going to be even worse next year.

Is hope a good thing or as Red says is it dangerous and can drive a man insane. We’ll have to ask Dino about that movie quote exchange.
Great post.

Yeah, the OL recruit from out west tweeting quite explicitly that he's "not committed" after visiting was not a great sign. Clearly he's looking for something better.

Yeah, the OL recruit from out west tweeting quite explicitly that he's "not committed" after visiting was not a great sign. Clearly he's looking for something better.
Kids do that all the time...especially close to signing day when they want a big reveal.

Kids do that all the time...especially close to signing day when they want a big reveal.

The whole not committed hashtag is some thing I hadn’t seen before until this year must be a new fad.