All inclusive 2021/22 recruiting thread | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

All inclusive 2021/22 recruiting thread

Transfer portal grabs will be huge for what happens next year. I like this class overall but in general, most of these players won’t play or contribute next year. But I think most of them will be solid contributors, at least, in the future. It’s the type of class we need every single year to be competitive. But, we need to get players that can play and add depth for next year. I love the players on the team overall but they aren’t lasting the whole season without some depth at their positions. And we aren’t touching a bowl next year without some depth.
I think we also need a difference maker or 2 on offense. Would love a QB transfer.

I’m not a Dino homer by any means but that is such a disingenuous graph. Our average recruit ranking puts us in the mid 50’s. If the staff is specifically targeting transfers then it’s going to be a later completion to the recruiting class.

I wouldn’t hire that person as an analyst that’s for sure.

Heard we’re still looking around NJ, might be a kid at Jaquez’s high school or someone else. I can’t remember which.

Heard we’re still looking around NJ, might be a kid at Jaquez’s high school or someone else. I can’t remember which.
Seems like they put a strong emphasis on NJ after the season ... While it's picked over quite a bit there are still good kids from there available

I think the people who were alive and around for like 1987-90s teams def have a different understanding from some younger fans maybe.

I don't see that era ever happening again and sadly I think expectations should adjust.
What is the point of being a fan of you have no hope? Been here from 1955 for good times and bad times, always feel they eventually will get back again.

Pretty good when, in your 60th ranked class, you got a freshman All American as a 3 star. Yep, rankings are definitely what I would use to evaluate the class.
Seriously? One guy significantly outperforms his ranking, and that proves...what, exactly? Captain Obvious sez 'One person does not a class make'. How did the rest of that class make out? Would you rank it as better than 60th? What is your criteria for making that statement?

Seriously? One guy significantly outperforms his ranking, and that proves...what, exactly? Captain Obvious sez 'One person does not a class make'. How did the rest of that class make out? Would you rank it as better than 60th? What is your criteria for making that statement?

Correct. Recruiting rankings resolve around immediate impact (5* are strong immediate impact, 4* are impact starters). If Chestnut was a 5-star (which I think is a reasonable argument when he is a Freshman AA), the class would not be 60th and would reverse the trend to what I responded with (not sure how it goes, but would think the class would be 40-50).

It is the reason you see all the 3*, those are the "development prospects" because recruiting analysts rank where prospects are now, not where they will be. They don't think a 3* will play as a true frosh.

The reply was meant to be snarky to the graph. I don't intend the comment to mean that the class is a top 25 class.

However, I do think last years class is better than 60th (and I think Dino's best class). Enrique Cruz is the best tackle prospect Cuse has seen in awhile (in my eyes). Umari Hatcher, I thought, was an instant impact WR (and I am giving credit). Justin Lamson is the first early cycle QB we have hit on since Devito. Gadsen contributed immediately. Lockett saw a # of snaps on the DL (way above ranking). Then add in Hough (Notre Dame interest and people thought immediate contributor before injury), Morris (Utah commit now w/ a ton of interest, sucks for Cuse, but factors into recruiting rankins), Ellis (instant impact OL) and the transfer of Simmons and I think it is hard to argue the class should be ranked 60th. And the above doesn't get into Geer, where I share sentiment that he is the best DL recruited in that class.

Ellis became a starter on OL. DL Lockett freshman on the two deep. Had some good contributors even though they were lower ranked. See a number of players in the portal that were highly ranked that under performed. Ratings are a crap shoot. Would like higher rated recruits but our players always seem under valued.
Not happy with the outcomes overall under DB. Most of that has been on some of his questionable former coaching hires and game decisions. So far fixed some of the coaching missteps. Still waiting on OC hires.
We had the talent this year to win 7 games. Special teams and some questionable coaching derailed that outcome.
Let’s see what happens over the next couple of months with additional commits and coaching hires.
I’m not getting my hopes up after the continual disappointments but I’m willing to wait and see what happens before I declare this class and next season a loss.

Ellis became a starter on OL. DL Lockett freshman on the two deep. Had some good contributors even though they were lower ranked. See a number of players in the portal that were highly ranked that under performed. Ratings are a crap shoot. Would like higher rated recruits but our players always seem under valued.
Not happy with the outcomes overall under DB. Most of that has been on some of his questionable former coaching hires and game decisions. So far fixed some of the coaching missteps. Still waiting on OC hires.
We had the talent this year to win 7 games. Special teams and some questionable coaching derailed that outcome.
Let’s see what happens over the next couple of months with additional commits and coaching hires.
I’m not getting my hopes up after the continual disappointments but I’m willing to wait and see what happens before I declare this class and next season a loss.
Bad teams that have depth issues are more likely to have freshman playing

Anyone with any Jaelin Moss (Fairport, NY) updates.

He was on the roster for Monroe College, which is located in NYC area, but did not seem to play in 2021.
If he read-shirted this year and he chose to come, he might be a 3-to-play-3 guy, which would be nice.

The guy is intriguing, always has been. He's "local," has size (6-4, 260) and is the owner of terrific bloodlines. Not a bad combo.

Anyone with any Jaelin Moss (Fairport, NY) updates.

He was on the roster for Monroe College, which is located in NYC area, but did not seem to play in 2021.
If he read-shirted this year and he chose to come, he might be a 3-to-play-3 guy, which would be nice.

The guy is intriguing, always has been. He's "local," has size (6-4, 260) and is the owner of terrific bloodlines. Not a bad combo.

Money [or someone else with knowledge] - keep me honest. But it sounded like Moss was a non-qualifier who needed to go to the JUCO level. If true, he would need to earn an associate's degree to qualify for D1. Sounds like the staff is keeping this relationship open for down the road.

Money [or someone else with knowledge] - keep me honest. But it sounded like Moss was a non-qualifier who needed to go to the JUCO level. If true, he would need to earn an associate's degree to qualify for D1. Sounds like the staff is keeping this relationship open for down the road.
Excerpt from 24-7 article from July (he did not obviously go to Garden City):

Class of 2021 defensive lineman Jaelin Moss will enroll at Garden City Community College in Kansas, he said in a text message on Thursday night. A product of Fairport High School in New York, Moss committed to Syracuse football in late April but did not sign with the program. He said he expects to spend a year and a half at GCCC before a second recruitment potentially leads him into the Football Bowl Subdivision.

Some of the schools we compete against don’t have the admission requirements we do and that makes it easier for them to bring in some very talented players; just a fact!

Some of the schools we compete against don’t have the admission requirements we do and that makes it easier for them to bring in some very talented players; just a fact!
Don’t buy into that excuse.

Cuse, just like most schools, uses the min. NCAA requirements. Even so, let’s say that isn’t the case, these schools that are ranked as better academic schools than Cuse: Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Norte Dame, UCLA, Cal, Michigan, Virginia, USC, Florida, UNC, Wake, Georgia Tech, Texas, Wisconsin, Illini, Georgia, OSU, Purdue, FSU, Miami, (Maryland, Washington, and Pitt are tied with us). PSU, Rutgers, Indiana, A&M, Minnesota, Baylor, Clemson, VT, BYU and NC State are right after.

The reason we don’t get good kids isn’t the dean of admissions. We don’t get the kind of kids we want because our product is generic, stale and quality.

US News Rankings: 2021

Louisville #176
NC State #80
Clemson #74
VT #74
Syracuse # 58

Now let’s look at public vs private where we have yet another interesting difference exists; who are the typically highest rated Football programs; large land grant universities with tax revenues to enjoy and Cuse being private. Not the only reason but significant competitive disadvantage. Now let’s consider accepting partial qualifier which we do not. Certainly these do not totally account for our current status however they matter.

Let’s remind ourselves (and OL recruits) that Schmidt was up for the Broyles award this year. Go get ‘em, guys.
I was looking at OX's roster yesterday. The OL is one room that hasn't seen any attrition. Lots of guys (17 schollies) in there and 6 guys with a significant snap count in 2021 coming back (Berg, Dakota, Bleich, Vet, Tis, Ellis).

Curious to see what the direction of that group is in the off-season.

Last edited: