Class of 2015 - All these kids can run and are athletic | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 All these kids can run and are athletic

kcsu

Living Legend
A common theme over the last two years with Shaf and crew is that they recruit kids who are mobile and can run. Granted im looking at them as a lay person but they all seem agile and athletic. Even the OL guys get to the second level and seem to be good on their feet. Athletic good frames and can run something that i remember Doug talking about and something that i think Shafer learned from him. Really like the make up of this class have to believe we are back and hope that the good Doc throws some money towards the staff. Nice to be back in the game!!!

What all these early (at least for our standards) offers tell me is that kids want to play football at Syracuse again. We are no longer fall back options for kids.
I think there's something to that.

What all these early (at least for our standards) offers tell me is that kids want to play football at Syracuse again. We are no longer fall back options for kids.
Signing kids early without any other significant offer or signing them late when their offers get pulled by Penn State or Virginia is irrelevant. Its about the quality of the player. They all ultimately 'want to play football at Syracuse' just under different circumstances. Its not like they are verbally committing to SU with 15 other BCS offers all lined up and chose SU instead of others. In fact we've had a number who initially talked great about SU until they got attention from a few more shiny teams.

Signing kids early without any other significant offer or signing them late when their offers get pulled by Penn State or Virginia is irrelevant. Its about the quality of the player. They all ultimately 'want to play football at Syracuse' just under different circumstances. Its not like they are verbally committing to SU with 15 other BCS offers all lined up and chose SU instead of others. In fact we've had a number who initially talked great about SU until they got attention from a few more shiny teams.

I used to be more Into other offers as well but it seems more schools are playing the "we didn't actually offer them" card after they offer and the recruit doesn't reciprocate the interest. Rutgers is the well known commodity around here in that regard but far from the only one tha does it. Penn State tried to flip two of our LB recruits last year. One flipped and the other told them to pound salt thus didn't show as having an offer from them.

I'm more about production, measurements, and growth potential like the one line recruit we have who's father is 6'8 and such. The other part of it is the eye ball test watching film. You, above others on here, should trust that knowing what a D1 player looks like.

A common theme over the last two years with Shaf and crew is that they recruit kids who are mobile and can run. Granted im looking at them as a lay person but they all seem agile and athletic. Even the OL guys get to the second level and seem to be good on their feet. Athletic good frames and can run something that i remember Doug talking about and something that i think Shafer learned from him. Really like the make up of this class have to believe we are back and hope that the good Doc throws some money towards the staff. Nice to be back in the game!!!

agreed they can all run even the lineman. i think it shows where they want to go as a team. wide open run and gun a la tcu, texas tech etc, particularly the lineman, lean, mean and mobile, but not too small. big tall lean kids and athletic. they're still looking at the 6-6 6-8 kids at the tackle spots and big tuff hogs at the guards. develop a qb to go with the wideouts, should be fun, need to hold par with current roster and look for 2/3 years to takeoff.

I got a chance to talk to the lineman coach for a while yesterday. I mentioned to him how impressed I was with the recruits he found. He was very excited about the kids coming in. We talked about size and speed. He said his whole line will be 6 3 or bigger. I told him I liked that kid from Connecticut. We talked about him having a little attitude to him... Like he is a d end playing the o line.

I think the offer thing is over rated. Honestly i have been to a bunch of camps and combines and south of recruiting is who knows who. It is a true up hill battle if your high school coach is new or doesn't have many connections.

I knew what shy was doing at these places I knew coaches loved him that met him or watched him. It was great to read the story last night where a source told them shy was an athletic freak... He really is. But even yesterday a kid showed up for camp playing one position and a coach watched him and said oh no you come over here and work out at this position did awesome at it and was going to meet with coaches after to talk. That kid would never have been found to be a great at that position if everything didn't line up and he was seen.

Oh and by the way... I have heard kids tell shy... I think we were at bc... That they were there to draw in other schools. Drop names of big schools talk about offers and others will pay attention. So half the time you don't even know if they have an offer or not

I used to be more Into other offers as well but it seems more schools are playing the "we didn't actually offer them" card after they offer and the recruit doesn't reciprocate the interest. Rutgers is the well known commodity around here in that regard but far from the only one tha does it. Penn State tried to flip two of our LB recruits last year. One flipped and the other told them to pound salt thus didn't show as having an offer from them.

I'm more about production, measurements, and growth potential like the one line recruit we have who's father is 6'8 and such. The other part of it is the eye ball test watching film. You, above others on here, should trust that knowing what a D1 player looks like.
Good Points. But while I think I'm a pretty good eye for innate talent, does it concern you that the professional talent evaluators at quality D1 colleges do not think many of our commits are not worthy of a scholarship offer. At some point we need to compete and win recruiting battles against quality programs to ultimately beat them on the field. I love the few players to fill out the bottom half of your recruiting class who has good physical skills and could care less how many scholarship offers they have. Because I know statistics and historical evidence we can't have 90% of our class with these type of 'sleepers'. It just doesn't work that way.

Sudano post: 1070244 said:
Good Points. But while I think I'm a pretty good eye for innate talent, does it concern you that the professional talent evaluators at quality D1 colleges do not think many of our commits are not worthy of a scholarship offer. At some point we need to compete and win recruiting battles against quality programs to ultimately beat them on the field. I love the few players to fill out the bottom half of your recruiting class who has good physical skills and could care less how many scholarship offers they have. Because I know statistics and historical evidence we can't have 90% of our class with these type of 'sleepers'. It just doesn't work that way.

The fact the were having this convo in June and not in November comes into effect for me. I've been impressed with this staff getting out ahead of the pack in identifying talent and other coaching staffs apperently are as well given they follow our recruits like lost puppies after the fact. It feels good to have over a dozen commits before this kids are even finished with their JR years. Perhaps some of them are option 1a for football factories but how many 30 offer kids are we ever going to have in June? Were not in a position to wait on the big names like Bama and the likes and I'm glad we've figured that out. Look at our current two deep and tell me how many of those guys wouldn't be welcomed on the roster of other D1 programs. To me, it doesn't look like many.

The fact the were having this convo in June and not in November comes into effect for me. I've been impressed with this staff getting out ahead of the pack in identifying talent and other coaching staffs apperently are as well given they follow our recruits like lost puppies after the fact. It feels good to have over a dozen commits before this kids are even finished with their JR years. Perhaps some of them are option 1a for football factories but how many 30 offer kids are we ever going to have in June? Were not in a position to wait on the big names like Bama and the likes and I'm glad we've figured that out. Look at our current two deep and tell me how many of those guys wouldn't be welcomed on the roster of other D1 programs. To me, it doesn't look like many.
How about 5 or 6 offer kids? Many of these commits don't play for obscure programs or areas of the country.
You make some good points but looking at our 2 deep many of those players would not be offered to the teams we are trying to beat to have that 9-3 record we so covet. Recruiting isn't done in a vacuum its a comparative sport, and I just don't see these players making us better than what we are. Basically a .500 team a game away from not playing in bowl games let alone a top 25 team. We'll see. World Cup time. 'I believe'...

To put thing into perspective:

We have 14 commits right now. Last year we had 7 commits and the year prior we had 5 commits at this point.
Quality, not quantity. Signing date is Feb. not July.

Honestly anyone who thinks it is early enough in the process and look at an offer sheet and think for one second that it is going to stay static is foolish but since we are worried about going for a 9-3 record lets take a look at something of interest, I am going to look just at the OL position for now since I don't feel like doing this for each recruit:

NC State - 1 commit (other offers: Marshall)
FSU - 2 commits (other offers for 1: Auburn, BC, Cal, Illini, Kentucky, Maryland, ODU, Wake) (other offers for 2: South Carolina, Miami, UGA, Marshall, Miss St)
Miami - 3 commits (other offers for 1: Akron, Elon, BC, ODU) (other offers for 2: FAU, FIU, USF, ECU) (other offers for 3: Arizona, Mizzou, Purdue, Toledo)
BC - 3 commits (other offers for 1: None) (other offers for 2: None) (other offers for 3: ODU)
MD - 3 commits (other offers for 1: Marshall, Rutgirls) (other offers for 2: FSU, ODU, RU, WVU, Wisky) (other offers for 3: Tenn, Temple, Buff, Hampton, Marshall)
GT - 1 commit (other offers for 1: None)
Pitt - 1 commit (other offers for 1: None)
Wake - 1 commit (other offers for 1: LVille, ODU, Charlotte, Marshall, Vandy, Yale)

This is a cross section of our "peers" although admittedly FSU is far ahead ... I think there is this misconception that most of the offers have gone out and this list is static ... the offer list for our recruits is far from complete and I expect it to grow. I am not in the least worried about it and won't be until the end of the high school season. Identify them and sign them up and remain in front the big boys always come calling.

How about 5 or 6 offer kids? Many of these commits don't play for obscure programs or areas of the country.
You make some good points but looking at our 2 deep many of those players would not be offered to the teams we are trying to beat to have that 9-3 record we so covet. Recruiting isn't done in a vacuum its a comparative sport, and I just don't see these players making us better than what we are. Basically a .500 team a game away from not playing in bowl games let alone a top 25 team. We'll see. World Cup time. 'I believe'...
Get back to me after all these guys play a senior season. We offered guys we think are talented. One of those guys after our offer turned into one of the top recruits in the country. I think our staff knows how to evaluate players.

Get back to me after all these guys play a senior season. We offered guys we think are talented. One of those guys after our offer turned into one of the top recruits in the country. I think our staff knows how to evaluate players.
Eternal optimist or blinded fan. Your opinion won't change even after their senior season. You know it.

Eternal optimist or blinded fan. Your opinion won't change even after their senior season. You know it.

Eternal pessimist or horrible jaded fan?

Look. We get it. Just about all that you have said on the board is true - as far as competing with FSU and Clemson. That's fine.

It doesn't mean you can't get excited about the talent we do have coming in. There is literally nothing to be gained by being pessimistic about a recruiting class in June. There is also nothing we can do to bring in the 5 star guys, as fans (we aren't in the SEC). So what's left? Belief in the staff and optimism that these kids are Freeney, Jones brothers, etc.

To put thing into perspective:

We have 14 commits right now. Last year we had 7 commits and the year prior we had 5 commits at this point.
I think its actually 15 (or 17 according to HCSS). this is an awesome stat

Levine, Clausman, Perkins, Blaire and Spence are all grossly, grossly underrated.

No I think your opinion won't change ... my question is who pissed in your Cheerios?
I'll always try to be an objective, critical fan. If I like who their recruiting I'll say it. If I think they are missing on good prospects, I'll say it. It seems that this board is less discerning and will always just be happy with whom ever signs without separating the wheat from the chaff. I guess I'll have to look for another board who balances those factors.

It is far too early in the recruiting process to be overly concerned with low ratings, summer camps haven't even hit midway yet.

Eternal pessimist or horrible jaded fan?

Look. We get it. Just about all that you have said on the board is true - as far as competing with FSU and Clemson. That's fine.

It doesn't mean you can't get excited about the talent we do have coming in. There is literally nothing to be gained by being pessimistic about a recruiting class in June. There is also nothing we can do to bring in the 5 star guys, as fans (we aren't in the SEC). So what's left? Belief in the staff and optimism that these kids are Freeney, Jones brothers, etc.
Good Points, I just don't see any others questioning the talent level of these recruits based on some very objective points. I'm worried. Most are just cheerleaders. Yeah!!! We signed another one. Without doing any basic research into what the industry thinks of them. If its June and we're filling up our roster with lower level recruits we all need to be concerned. Freeney, Jones' were all very good recruits with solid offers on their resumes. To indicate otherwise is doing a disservice to accuracy. Sheppard and Robinson would be their similarities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom