Am I only the one than thinks Mahoney is | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Am I only the one than thinks Mahoney is

Mahoney is more patient at running the plays that are called and that leads to better offensive flow. Dungey is more scattershot and has a tendency to take off running far too early. Our offense has been very inconsistent when he is in there and the number of broken plays increases our inability to establish any flow on offense. Mahoney seems to understand his limitations and direct the offense better. He certainly sticks to the game plan better and runs the play calls that are sent in. Dungey has more talent but he has to learn how to stay in the pocket and run the plays that are sent in. Until he does this, the offense will continue struggling to get anything going with any consistency.

Mahoney is more patient at running the plays that are called and that leads to better offensive flow. Dungey is more scattershot and has a tendency to take off running far too early. Our offense has been very inconsistent when he is in there and the number of broken plays increases our inability to establish any flow on offense. Mahoney seems to understand his limitations and direct the offense better. He certainly sticks to the game plan better and runs the play calls that are sent in. Dungey has more talent but he has to learn how to stay in the pocket and run the plays that are sent in. Until he does this, the offense will continue struggling to get anything going with any consistency.
Couldnt have said it better. You said what I was trying to say. Dungey has the better upside no doubt but Mahoney seems to give us the better chance to win right now because of those reasons you mentioned. After a full year of S&C and spring ball Dungey should pass him up.

Dungey is a far better passer (better touch | better long ball), and scrambler (much better at keeping his eyes downfield and hitting receivers during the scramble), but they are about even running the option. That last bit may be in Mahoney's favor too, as I think the staff will be very hesitant to have Dungey run the option much in the future - given his health issues. Surprisingly, both have some decent wheels on them.

One thing I see being mentioned in this thread that I do agree with: Mahoney puts a lot more on his sideline/intermediate passes. I don't think he has better arm strength, I just think Dungey's mechanics get lazy from time to time (probably a function of him relying on his athleticism a bit too much).

I think they give Dungey more of the playbook too. They kept it very simple vs Clemson.

Toga said:
Having cooled down - here is my take on that call which led to another call. The hands to the face was not a bad call. It wasn't a call the official got wrong and just blew it. It was none of that. It was something far far worse. It was a made up call. A purposely - driven by the game situation - made up call. I've been watching football for more years than than I care to admit and this may be the first time I've seen a completely made up call that was made for a purpose. And I would love to be on a plane right now sitting next to that a-hole.
They called it on #51. If they really felt it was on #51 and just didn't give the wrong number, it was certainly made up. If they had said it was on #72, they may have had a point. It appeared Clark smacked their guy across the helmet.

Edit. Our numbers suck. On further review just now its not 72, it's 79. Pushed their centers head right back.

Last edited:
Better for Lester's offense than dungey? I like them both but Mahoney doesn't seem to run with the reckless abandon that dungey does. Mahoney doesn't have the touch dungey does but seems to throw the ball harder on the outs, etc

That's why I was so excited to see him play leading up to that game. The kid is a gamer and make friggin huge plays. I was baffled at his running ability. His passing stats didn't too good, but the kid has a cannon and can spin it. His running ability is nuts. I got faked out about 5 times on some of those options. Had no clue who had the ball.

A writer at "Shakin the Southland" gave his opinion:

"Syracuse QB deserves a lot of credit and Shafer is silly for not going with him all year. We were not prepared to play assignment football. We had film from the LSU game. I understand it can be a nightmare to contain a running QB, but this was just poor gap control and effort at times."

http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2015/11/14/9736136/clemson-versus-syracuse-instant-reaction

Best line of the piece:

"I think I am really just upset because, man, I hate Syracuse. I really wanted to blow them out. At least we probably helped Scott Schafer keep his job."

with long gone, no reason to not put him on scholie is there?

and he took to heart the coaches thoughts on fixing his throwing, would not be surprised to see much the same with Dungey next year

with long gone, no reason to not put him on scholie is there?

and he took to heart the coaches thoughts on fixing his throwing, would not be surprised to see much the same with Dungey next year

They have to put him on scholarship. It would be unfair for Austin Wilson to have one, but not Mahoney.

I'm sure they will do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom