Am I the only one - DT depth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Am I the only one - DT depth

I've been telling everyone who'll listen that Richards is special. He's athletically gifted. He has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. And I honestly don't think it matters whether you play him at DE in Dime packages or LB ... he's going to make plays. He's as big as Bullock and as fast as Greenwood. Can't wait to see him unleashed this year ... hopefully at LB.
He is definitely one of my favorites. He is will continue to make plays for us. Teams will have to figure out where he’s lined up and account for him. On the flip side, Richards needs to have a defined position by his junior season. He is big and athletic but his speed and athleticism shows in straight line situations. I don’t see him being a sideline to sideline quick change of direction type LB. Maybe against pro style heavy run teams but I don’t like him in space against spread offenses. He has NFL early draft pick potential at DE or I can see him in a 3-4 OLB system like a Shawn Merriman.

Last edited:
He is definitely one of my favorites. He is will continue to make plays for us. Teams will have to figure out where he’s lined up and account for him. On the flip side, Richards needs to have a defined position by his junior season. He is big and athletic but his speed and athleticism shows in straight line situations. I don’t see him being a sideline to sideline quick change of direction type LB. Maybe against pro style heavy run teams but I don’t like him in space against spread offenses. He has NFL early draft pick potential at DE or I can see him in a 3-4 OLB system like a Shawn Merriman.
Agree with the bolded points. Don't want to waste his talent and based on our roster, we could probably use him more at DE after this year.

Agree with the bolded points. Don't want to waste his talent and based on our roster, we could probably use him more at DE after this year.
People are still infatuated with 6'4 linebackers. I don't understand why. Its harder to move in space at that height. NFL have gotten away from that. Its all about speed, blitzing and coverage and less about taking on blocks. Now if you can do all that at 6'4 that would be elite.

You may be right about his future - the next coming of Alton Robinson junior year. Longer term, he could carry 20+ more lbs easily on that frame. But for this year, I hope the staff finds a way to use his size and talent against the power run.

You may be right about his future - the next coming of Alton Robinson junior year. Longer term, he could carry 20+ more lbs easily on that frame. But for this year, I hope the staff finds a way to use his size and talent against the power run.
I hope he can too. I imagine he’ll be the 3rd LB.

That’s why I had him in my head at Mike. Yet they were practicing him outside which makes zero sense to me cause of the lack of side to side stability. He would fit perfectly at mike at least in my head.

That’s why I had him in my head at Mike. Yet they were practicing him outside which makes zero sense to me cause of the lack of side to side stability. He would fit perfectly at mike at least in my head.

You have a Mike in your head? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom