an open and honest discussion about SU's offense | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

an open and honest discussion about SU's offense

IMO. As this team is constructed, it is unusual for a SU team. We will struggle against m2m teams and do well against zone teams. The only guy on the roster that can break you down off the dribble is Carey, and he is a freshman with a senior in front of him. Can’t do much about that.
People need to realize this roster is not perfect and the penalties did what they were supposed to.
I think JB will ultimately figure out a way to mask our deficiencies enough to get us to the dance but it’s going to be a white knuckle ride the rest of the way.
Personally I’m just going to decide to enjoy the rest of the year. There will be good times. It beats pissing and moaning. I reserve that for politics.

IMO. As this team is constructed, it is unusual for a SU team. We will struggle against m2m teams and do well against zone teams. The only guy on the roster that can break you down off the dribble is Carey, and he is a freshman with a senior in front of him. Can’t do much about that.
People need to realize this roster is not perfect and the penalties did what they were supposed to.
I think JB will ultimately figure out a way to mask our deficiencies enough to get us to the dance but it’s going to be a white knuckle ride the rest of the way.

About masking this O, JB had last year to see that the offense was pretty bad. As a friend of mine
put it, 5 starters back from a crappy offense ... is still a crappy offense. Picked up a transfer who can
shoot, signed a PG, picked up a forward who could shoot, and signed some other recruit who supposedly
could shoot, but nobody's seen any sign of that yet. You run screens with Cs who are fortunately to
catch the ball, but no low post plays that maybe offer a threat of easy shots to score; you use combo
guards, not pure PGs to run an iso heavy offense that kinds needs the creativity; unfortunately, the
most helpful player to improve the offense either gets smoked on D or puts one of the scorers on
the bench, this is a hard fix. I won't comment about the D as I've done before, but 41 pts in the
first 30 mins of the game? That makes the final total of 62 look pretty good, but that's just bad.
I don't get how one can look at last year's O and say, "well, let's do the same thing again. it'll
work."

Kev

I think we should run Carey and FH at the same time and drop Battle to the 3...

Carey
FH
Battle
Hughes/Brissett
Brissett/Marek

Get more ballhandlers and more creators on the floor. Rebouding would be an issue but I think what we gain on the other end of the floor would outweigh it

I think we should run Carey and FH at the same time and drop Battle to the 3...

Carey
FH
Battle
Hughes/Brissett
Brissett/Marek

Get more ballhandlers and more creators on the floor. Rebouding would be an issue but I think what we gain on the other end of the floor would outweigh it

We did see some of that against ODU. I agree, that's a good lineup to generate some offense.
It all comes down to the matchups.

In the last few years I have spent a lot of time legitimately wanting to turn the game off because of how hard the offense is to watch. It actually hurts me. How someone who claims to love, and understand, basketball can somehow not feel this way, is truly beyond me. That's how obvious this has gotten.

Not enough speed on the perimeter driving and shaky ballhandling. If you are going to play this way you gotta get by your man consistently...this was a Conf USA team and they looked more atheltic except for Battle.

Centers are a disaster.
I was commenting on that when I was watching - ODU was probably better at 4 positions? Maybe 3 if you don't match Stith with Oshae. I just don't think we are that talented and we are not getting put in places to maximize what talent we have.

I was commenting on that when I was watching - ODU was probably better at 4 positions? Maybe 3 if you don't match Stith with Oshae. I just don't think we are that talented and we are not getting put in places to maximize what talent we have.

That’s sort of my take as well. I can’t tell also if JB is starting to not allow them to push as well right now. Even when Carey was in the game briefly he was walking it up. Not good. 16 FG made against ODU! 295 in the country in FG made per game. This team needs to get moving and try to score as early as possible, IMO. CuseNation247 on Youtube has some player interviews up. A pretty lengthy one with Frank. But, he did say the plan was to get moving and push before their defense set up but they didn’t execute. Why? I think we just aren’t that fast down the court and it is going to be a real struggle. Obviously he isn’t 100% either. Sometimes ODU was getting back quickly but this team just can’t get out and run. It’s pitiful. The Centers can’t outlet, the guards aren’t good in the open court, and we’re slow. I suspect JB knows this and will revert to last year sooner than later.

Last edited:
In the last few years I have spent a lot of time legitimately wanting to turn the game off because of how hard the offense is to watch. It actually hurts me. How someone who claims to love, and understand, basketball can somehow not feel this way, is truly beyond me. That's how obvious this has gotten.

Unfortunately I agree. The offense is just ugly. The most frustrating thing is we have 5 guys who can lead the team in scoring on any given night: Battle, OB, Frank, Hughes & Carey. Yet, we have the hardest time putting the ball in the basket. I hope it gets better, but based on the last few years, I don't see how it will.

If I wasn't an addict like the rest of us, we wouldn't be on the list of teams that I watch for casual fun.

If I wasn't an addict like the rest of us, we wouldn't be on the list of teams that I watch for casual fun.
I obviously continue to watch (although Saturday I only had the radio). But when I say it pains me to watch, I mean it. It gives me this level of antsy-ness that I cannot explain. It's brutal. Then we have moments like gtown second half. Obviously, that is an extreme outlier and relying on outliers is a bad recipe, usually. Just like relying on advancing in the tournament as a 10 seed. Yeah it can happen, but..

QzWt.gif

There’s nothing wrong with the offense the only problem we have had is the sanctions placed against us. It crippled everything! Recruiting, wins , and our lack of offense is the direct impact from the NCAA bs sanctions.

How long is this argument going to be made? Or better yet, how long before YOU believe it can’t be used anymore. How did the sanctions prevent us from getting a real PG? How about a real 5 for that matter?

How long is this argument going to be made? Or better yet, how long before YOU believe it can’t be used anymore. How did the sanctions prevent us from getting a real PG? How about a real 5 for that matter?
A real PG would help things immensely. JB took a chance on Frank and missed. It happens.

So the takeaway is, pretty much nothing changed offensively from last season

I understand that we are not of the same caliber of UNC and Duke, but watching this game right now it is very entertaining. I feel like Syracuse having an entertaining game is almost that of a rarity. Now we did not get the nickname Cardiac Cuse without having our fair share of entertaining games, but i am talking more in the offensive sense of entertainment. I would say the two most entertaining games we have had this year was the win against LVille and Duke. The rest have been forgettable to say the least. I love watching Syracuse play and this post is not meant to bash them in any way. I just hate that my expectation for watching games now is for Syracuse to shoot around 35% from the floor and score around 60 pts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom