An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board?

PS: Did anyone see that Lacey Chabert just got married. I really hope she isn't preggo. I would hate to think we jinxed another board hottie.

Seriously? You ended an open letter to the board mods with just the sort of thing that you are asking them to end? I would have to guess that you are not a Newhouse grad. I am not trying to attack you personally, but you hijacked your own thread. That has to be some kind of record.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate half naked women as much as the next person. I simply come here discuss another passion: SU Hoops. I have heard rumors that there are scores of sites on the interweb that post photos of completely naked women. If and when I feel the need to ogle, I am sure I can use
Go-ogle and find many sties that will accommodate.

I don't disagree with what your open letter says. There are other threads nearby that deal with the consequences of some of the nonsense that have become prevalent on this board. To paraphrase Gresham's Law: "Bad posters drive out good." As a result, I find the "ignore" button to be a fantastic feature here.

Seriously? You ended an open letter to the board mods with just the sort of thing that you are asking them to end? I would have to guess that you are not a Newhouse grad. I am not trying to attack you personally, but you hijacked your own thread. That has to be some kind of record.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate half naked women as much as the next person. I simply come here discuss another passion: SU Hoops. I have heard rumors that there are scores of sites on the interweb that post photos of completely naked women. If and when I feel the need to ogle, I am sure I can use

I don't disagree with what your open letter says. There are other threads nearby that deal with the consequences of some of the nonsense that have become prevalent on this board. To paraphrase Gresham's Law: "Bad posters drive out good." As a result, I find the "ignore" button to be a fantastic feature here.
I think (no, I hope) this was a wink/nudge addition to the post

I know everyone wants to see their posts get read but there's a lot of stuff that really needs to be moved to the OT board.

And I despise the elitism...and I've been a lurker/poster since 1999

Let's hope our players don't feel that way.
Hopefully they are focused on getting the win. It's crucial to get that first conference win under our belt. I also assume they are spending a good deal of time going over who the hell that skinny jerk dating Miss America is.

ok, where is the ignore button?

I have been a part of the many versions of this board as a lurker or poster since almost the beginning. In years past, there was much more basketball talk with few interruptions other than an occasional off topic.
Today, there are too many hijacked posts and personal rants or jokes between two or three people that go on for 10 or 15 posts on the same thread.
The majority of the posts do stick to talking about the team, season, players, etc. But that majority percentage seems to be slipping a little more as time goes on.
I'm like several other posters here in needing this forum to keep up with what's going on. Due to leaving the Syracuse area, I no longer have the privilege of season tickets. I'm thrilled to be able to see the team more now that they are traveling in the ACC.
I'm afraid that even our Admins are ready to throw up their hands somedays and walk away. Please don't, but don't be afraid to tighten up the parameters where needed. You could lean a little more on the obviously way off topic and hijacked posts. Saying that, I think there is a difference between posts like Grievances and Tee Up threads.
The bigger picture is that this great forum must Never turn into that other Syracuse wasteland that calls itself a basketball forum.

But why don't we have that traffic. Because the team is playing so well or because some posters have chosen to stop posting. It's almost like off season. We are playing our very first ACC game and its almost like crickets. Granted Miami isn't North Carolina or Duke but they are still ACC.

Or maybe after 15 years people decide they want to do something else.

I post at two forums - this one and anandtech.com. I used to post at more, but 1) My time became more valuable the older I got, 2) talking (doesn't matter what it is) gets boring, 3) I get upset at myself at times for spending hours in front of a computer screen.

Sometimes losing people has nothing to do with the board climate.

I find the "ignore" button to be a fantastic feature here.
Same here. As I've said in the past, the ignore button is like having a good mafia hit man working for you. Posters disappear without a trace. My guy has 38 hits to his credit and he's always ready for more.

I wouldn't change a thing. The site has evolved over time, grown to include several separate forums that serve ably as platforms for everything from OT to recruiting. Far from a cacaphony, I think we're now facing an embarrassment of riches on a kaleidoscopic array of topics. Where else could we get Francis' recruiting insights? SWC as board (bored) historian? Bees purging posters he's 'known' for years?

This is the first place I head the morn after a game and where I get info that scoops the WWL. Don't change anything!

This forum is informative and hilarious. When you have smart passionate posters who aren't boring this is going to happen.

When I'm bored at work I like seeing basketball/football analysis mixed with some if the other stuff. I really don't see a problem. Maybe me being 30 causes me to view the forum differently than someone who is older but I wouldn't change a thing.

I'm not sure how much serious analysis were supposed to have for a Miami basketball game. This place was busy for a freakin Preseason Canadian tour, what more could we ask for? A Clemson/Ohio State bowl game got over 200 replies on a Friday night!

First - some responders to this thread advocate a pay board. I am against that - I believe all internet content should be free. If there is legitimate information that is of such a nature that it is bona fide "insider" material then it shouldn't be posted on a public forum at all - pay or free.

Second - I really, really enjoy this board as it is. Yes, some threads get away, and I wish they were more serious, but part of the allure of being on this forum is that while the hub of conversation is SU hoops, that other topics or humor arises. I like that. I have several times sought advice about non-SU hoops topics, and for the most part there is a wealth of knowledge here to be accessed. People say there is an OT board, but in truth the only time I visit that board is if a topic of interest that has been posted here has been moved to there. That is probably the same for many others here.

I do not think there should be any changes. The moderators to a great job the few times that things do get out of hand. However, I do understand the position of the hoops "purists". If there were to be a change perhaps "ghost" threads might be a solution. By ghost thread I mean that if a thread is moved to say the OT forum, rather than have it simply disappear - there would be a specific reference to that thread having been moved.

And as one of the posters who occasionally hijacks a thread or at least encourages the hijack of a thread, if I'm getting out of line, send me a PM and I'll adjust. I might even willingly go in and delete a post or two upon request. I moved here from another board because that one was dying and this one had better inside info. I hope to stay here for some time more. So mods - feel free to moderate.

This place makes me laugh as well as informative. When we started losing last year (and this place got way too negative) a handful of us created an 80's music thread that is in the entertainment forum. It has around 40,000 views and over 2500 posts. That's where you will find me if we go on a slump, I don't like this forum when we are losing to be honest.

Oh crap. I was hoping you wouldnt respond because...nevermind.
Duh on me
facepalm-and-carry-on.jpg

We are in the middle of the basketball season so you would think there would be more posts about basketball. How come no one is breaking down the Univ of Miami. Is the bottom line that no one cares about the U and we have no real history with them to speak of. Or is it that the Cuse is Number Two in the country and no real controversies to speak of. Even Blue Curtain stopped posting as he had nothing bad to say.

After what we have been through the past couple of years, I am very happy with a quiet board!

I'm curious about "ignore" feature. Does it make the user vanish forever or just a period of time?

This board was freakin hilarious during the Fab suspension and the investigation that shall not be named. In what was a really hard time to be a Cuse fan, you could at least come here, get the latest info and then laugh a little.

None of my friends will ever understand the significance of John Syracuse...board legend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom