An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

An open letter to the Admins: Is it time to clean up the basketball board?

I mostly agree with Clifton. I think creating separate boards for hoops and hoops recruiting was a mistake, and the predictable result is fewer hoops-related posts on the hoops board. In addition, one page per recruit with 500 messages is daunting and makes me not want to read the recruiting board. I also think the pay board had a salutary effect.

I went to the OT board for about two days and had to leave because I started hating everyone. Agree that is the place that must be never visited, sort of like the Forbidden Zone in Planet of the Apes.

on others forums, I spend most of my time in off-topic. The admins there do a great job of policing, but they're getting tired of the political topics and nudity posts and the constant oversight. Some folks ruin it for all. As someone said, if you don't want to read about a political post and get your nudity fix from other places, don't open or read and most importantly participate. They'll fade away.

I'm curious about "ignore" feature. Does it make the user vanish forever or just a period of time?

The poster is show as "you are ignoring this poster." There is a "show ignored content" option so if they reply to a thread their reply can be opened. There is also a "stop ignoring" function for each ignored poster. The downside/upside (apologies to SWC75) is that if an ignored poster begins a thread you would not be able to view it or any replies. I find that posters have been ignored for a reason so this has more upside than downside, but others may feel differently.

The poster is show as "you are ignoring this poster." There is a "show ignored content" option so if they reply to a thread their reply can be opened. There is also a "stop ignoring" function for each ignored poster. The downside/upside (apologies to SWC75) is that if an ignored poster begins a thread you would not be able to view it or any replies. I find that posters have been ignored for a reason so this has more upside than downside, but others may feel differently.

thanks , do they know I'm ignoring them?

One of the best things about the pay side was that you could go there to have an analytical and reasonable discussion of SU sports without the irrational gushing of emotion that usually comes after a loss. I miss that.

Even though I've never met most of the posters on this board, I feel like we're all friends and I come here to have non-confrontational, respectful conversations about the teams and sports that we love and even the OT opinions that we have but I'm usually disappointed. Sometimes reading these forums I start to wonder if there's anyone left that is looking for the same thing. The pay side had that community feel, although we shouldn't need a pay side to have that.

For some reason I can't help but think of this during the whole discussion. Specifically, George Plimpton's lines at the opening of the scene:

Or maybe after 15 years people decide they want to do something else.

I post at two forums - this one and anandtech.com. I used to post at more, but 1) My time became more valuable the older I got, 2) talking (doesn't matter what it is) gets boring, 3) I get upset at myself at times for spending hours in front of a computer screen.

Sometimes losing people has nothing to do with the board climate.
I agree. I posted to a board in 8-10 years ago. When I was at work, I couldn't wait to get home to dive right in again. Then I made a value judgement that I needed to slow down and I did. Nothing at all to do with that board. I had to move on.

I'll take the good times. I'll take the bad times. I'll take this board just the way we are.

When your woman left home with a brown eyed man and you still don't seem to care you know you've had your share.

Personally, I find that the use, or even existence, of an "ignore" feature is a cop-out. It's like putting your hands over your ears and yelling "LA LA LA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" like some 5 year old would do. Sure, if a poster gets consistently personally offensive without provocation, the mods should deal with it. We should all get the chance to fight back a bit. But the freedom to swing your fist ends fairly close to the tip of my nose.

For those who use the "ignore" feature I would ask: is this how we as a society should treat those with whom we disagree? By "silencing" them?

Personally, I find that the use, or even existence, of an "ignore" feature is a cop-out. It's like putting your hands over your ears and yelling "LA LA LA - I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" like some 5 year old would do. Sure, if a poster gets consistently personally offensive without provocation, the mods should deal with it. We should all get the chance to fight back a bit. But the freedom to swing your fist ends fairly close to the tip of my nose.

For those who use the "ignore" feature I would ask: is this how we as a society should treat those with whom we disagree? By "silencing" them?

Some of us wear big boy pants and other use the ignore button. (surely this has just landed me on someones ignore list) Seriously though I view it more the way you do although not as harshly. I'd rather they use the ignore feature than simple leave the board. Personally I just can chose to read whatever I want without an ignore feature being used.

Are you allowed to criticize Syracuse on the pay side?

If you're at a restaurant and a family decides to bring in some of their loud & rowdy offspring, or some boisterous people decide to sit at the table next to you, wouldn't you like to have an "ignore" feature? You like the food and the people that you're with, but some other guests are ruining the experience. Ideally you'd like the "unwanted" to sit in another room or leave ... at least until they grow/sober up. The "ignore" feature is like that.

Are you allowed to criticize Syracuse on the pay side?
You are allowed to criticize everywhere, as long as you're being civil and don't make personal attacks against the student athletes or make unbased, defamatory, statements that would damage the University or the athletics department. It's always been that way. There were plenty of critical opinions expressed when a former basketball coach's affairs were aired in public.

Ignoring someone is not the same thing as silencing them.

Freedom of speech also means the freedom not to listen.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire

If your post annoy me enough, I reserve the right to "ignore" you.

SUMBA

Everyone is free to do what they want but ignoring that many people seems like it would be worse for discussion than the "hijacks" and "jokes".

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Voltaire

If your post annoy me enough, I reserve the right to "ignore" you.

SUMBA
Actually that's one of the most commonly misattributed quotes around. It was actually said by his biographer, not by Voltaire himself, in reference to his beliefs.

And that's the only thing educational I care about today. Thank you, you've been great!

(Also I agree with the sentiment but felt like being That Guy)

You are allowed to criticize everywhere, as long as you're being civil and don't make personal attacks against the student athletes or make unbased, defamatory, statements that would damage the University or the athletics department. It's always been that way. There were plenty of critical opinions expressed when a former basketball coach's affairs were aired in public.

This is why it's unfortunate if it's true Blue Curtain is gone...and that's obviously not going to be a popular opinion.

He may have had an obvious agenda, but he didn't post anything that was really inflammatory and he never used personal attacks. That's more than I can say for the people responding to him sometimes.

I'd rather have one or two guys like that rather than for this place to turn into a big Pollyanna circle jerk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom