Anae and the QB Position | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anae and the QB Position

With these hires, we definitely need to finish this recruiting class with players from the portal.
With a new OC, QB, and ST coach we need players who can come in and contribute immediately.
Have to show dramatic improvement on offense, and special teams, get to 8 wins.
Then the next year can be a solid 2nd year, and build from there.

Now that the offensive staff are finally in place, I expect a LOT of activity with portal transfers over the next month and a half.

Now that the offensive staff are finally in place, I expect a LOT of activity with portal transfers over the next month and a half.
Yeah, I think if we're dreaming big, we pull a guy from the portal that's a proven QB that'll throw and benefit from what Tucker opens up, and have him start next season while Beck works his magic on Shrader/the Captain/Lamson so we can keep the train rolling.

I think now that we have a legit OC/QB coach combo that we go all out for a portal QB. Add any kind of proven throwing threat to Tucker and our offense is going to get nasty. Assuming a healthy OL (of course).

Yeah, I think if we're dreaming big, we pull a guy from the portal that's a proven QB that'll throw and benefit from what Tucker opens up, and have him start next season while Beck works his magic on Shrader/the Captain/Lamson so we can keep the train rolling.

I think now that we have a legit OC/QB coach combo that we go all out for a portal QB. Add any kind of proven throwing threat to Tucker and our offense is going to get nasty. Assuming a healthy OL (of course).

I think just the opposite. Shrader will be the dual threat QB they’ll want to work with on his passing like they’ve done with other QBs and we’ll use the portal to grab a QB who will back up Shrader if the other two aren’t ready.

I think just the opposite. Shrader will be the dual threat QB they’ll want to work with on his passing like they’ve done with other QBs and we’ll use the portal to grab a QB who will back up Shrader if the other two aren’t ready.
The only way we get a QB like that from the portal is to promise him it is an open competition. And, that is the way it should be. Either way, we end up with a good starter and a good backup, more likely multiple good backups with Lamson and Morgan.

I think that's a very appealing plan B/worst case scenario.

Because let's be real here, if Armstrong wants to follow Beck here, that's happening and he's going to start.

The portal changes the calculus a lot when you have a big time offensive player like Tucker. Lot of talented QBs still out there that are major passing threats, and the new coaches will need to make some evaluations of our current guys and don't hold any loyalty to them. That does present an opportunity to snag one of the big fish portal guys if we can.

Maybe part of the attraction was that Anae/Beck saw this opportunity as a win-win. Develop Shrader into a dual threat QB like they have already done with similar players before. Or bring someone in as QB1 and still have Shrader and his running ability on the field at the same time. Tucker is the given that the D always has to account for, making the other options at QB1 and "football player" more effective.

Elevate the worse offense in the ACC to one of the best and they won't be here long. But that is also a win-win for SU, at least in the short term.

Maybe part of the attraction was that Anae/Beck saw this opportunity as a win-win. Develop Shrader into a dual threat QB like they have already done with similar players before. Or bring someone in as QB1 and still have Shrader and his running ability on the field at the same time. Tucker is the given that the D always has to account for, making the other options at QB1 and "football player" more effective.

Elevate the worse offense in the ACC to one of the best and they won't be here long. But that is also a win-win for SU, at least in the short term.
It wasn’t the worst offense in the ACC. Worst pass game, sure.

It wasn’t the worst offense in the ACC. Worst pass game, sure.
Point taken, 2nd in rushing. Last in passing, 12th in total, and 10th in scoring. One of the worse in the ACC would have been more accurate.

The only way we get a QB like that from the portal is to promise him it is an open competition. And, that is the way it should be. Either way, we end up with a good starter and a good backup, more likely multiple good backups with Lamson and Morgan.
If they bring in another QB, it will of course be an open competition with all QBs on the roster. A new OC and QB Coach pretty much assure that.

Just the same, I expect Shrader to be the primary QB as Bees says above.

I think that's a very appealing plan B/worst case scenario.

Because let's be real here, if Armstrong wants to follow Beck here, that's happening and he's going to start.

The portal changes the calculus a lot when you have a big time offensive player like Tucker. Lot of talented QBs still out there that are major passing threats, and the new coaches will need to make some evaluations of our current guys and don't hold any loyalty to them. That does present an opportunity to snag one of the big fish portal guys if we can.
With a runner like Tucker, they are not passing 62% of the time. They go back to what they normally run a balanced attack, work on the receivers, and Garrett. They have exactly the offense they need.

Beck was clearly brought in to develop Shrader and Morgan and Lamson

Anyone who has in their head that we are going to bring in a QB to compete with Shrader for QB1 is in dream land.

Shrader is exactly the QB that Beck likes to work with

Unless I've missed a hire, the WR (coaching) position is still open. Golden opportunity for Dino/JW/Anae/Beck to add the final piece to the offensive staff and shore up a unit that has really struggled.

Last edited:
Point taken, 2nd in rushing. Last in passing, 12th in total, and 10th in scoring. One of the worse in the ACC would have been more accurate.
And the last three games skewed the season totals. To that point the offense was on track as a whole to having a pretty good year, it was playing around the pass game issues and at least competitive.

This team is not a rebuild cratered program

And the last three games skewed the season totals. To that point the offense was on track as a whole to having a pretty good year, it was playing around the pass game issues and at least competitive.

This team is not a rebuild cratered program
I'm not going to get into a semantics tug of war with you. The offense that ended the season was dysfunctional and needed to be addressed at multiple levels - passing game, game planning, scheme/concept, in game adjustments, use of personnel, play calling, player development, and talent level.

To me, this isn't even remotely debatable. All the changes made to address the offense since the end of the season are nothing but indicative of what the decision makers thought of the direction of the program on the offensive side. Staff were fired and major investments have been made to try to address this very issue.

Arguing that this "is not a rebuild cratered program" is a strawman position relative to what is actually transpiring.

With a runner like Tucker, they are not passing 62% of the time. They go back to what they normally run a balanced attack, work on the receivers, and Garrett. They have exactly the offense they need.
Need for what, though?

Anyone who has in their head that we are going to bring in a QB to compete with Shrader for QB1 is in dream land.

Guilty, I'm in dream land. That's fine.

But I think our mindset can change a little bit. We have a different ceiling now. Outside of Tucker and maybe a few other guys, if we can upgrade the talent and performance at a position we should be looking into that.

I think we will. 3 scholarship QBs on the roster is dangerously thin. And it will be hard to find a transfer QB who doesn't at least get a chance to compete for the job.

Maybe we bring in one of the younger UVA transfers and it will just be for depth.

Can't stick with 3, and I think there's only one possible recruit left that we're pursuing. Maybe we land him.

I'm not going to get into a semantics tug of war with you. The offense that ended the season was dysfunctional and needed to be addressed at multiple levels - passing game, game planning, scheme/concept, in game adjustments, use of personnel, play calling, player development, and talent level.

To me, this isn't even remotely debatable. All the changes made to address the offense since the end of the season are nothing but indicative of what the decision makers thought of the direction of the program on the offensive side. Staff were fired and major investments have been made to try to address this very issue.

Arguing that this "is not a rebuild cratered program" is a strawman position relative to what is actually transpiring.

I'm not trying to insert myself in this debate between you and Go. But I get what he's saying.

The counter-argument [and I'm not arguing with you, B] is that the last three games occurred after Shrader got hurt on the last play of the game against VT. And also coincided with OL depth hitting the critical breaking point with injuries.

We stunk over those last three games, but the issues may have been more injury related than systemic. That's how I interpreted Go's post.

I certainly contend that the WR issues WERE systemic. But hopefully stuff that the new OC / QB coach will address with better coaching and a better playbook.

Fully agree that Anae and Beck have a history of success in developing QBs very similar to Shrader. That's what makes these hires a home run from the jump.

I'm hoping that people who ultimately make the decisions are always trying to bring in QB talent, even if that is a "dream."

Fully agree that Anae and Beck have a history of success in developing QBs very similar to Shrader. That's what makes these hires a home run from the jump.

I'm hoping that people who ultimately make the decisions are always trying to bring in QB talent, even if that is a "dream."
Agree, and I think we will add QBs in this class. We lost 2 and have added none. That can't just be ignored.

Our new OC and QB coaches make us a lot more attractive to high level QBs looking for a new home. Ones that dream of playing in the NFL some day.

It might be too late in the game to get a 4 star type QB this cycle but I bet we get at least one QB and suspect it will be someone we Syracuse like a lot. I would be surprised if we only add 1 QB to the class (this includes the portal and HS).

I'm not trying to insert myself in this debate between you and Go. But I get what he's saying.

The counter-argument [and I'm not arguing with you, B] is that the last three games occurred after Shrader got hurt on the last play of the game against VT. And also coincided with OL depth hitting the critical breaking point with injuries.

We stunk over those last three games, but the issues may have been more injury related than systemic. That's how I interpreted Go's post.
I hear you, RF. I respect Go as a poster and his insights. By the moves that have been made, I think that the core issues were largely viewed as systemic, even taking into account injuries. Shrader has to be developed in the passing game to balance the offense, and the offense needs to evolve. Both can be true.

Gilbert was not the answer. GS may not be "the" answer. But at least now we have staff with a proven track record of success.

I certainly contend that the WR issues WERE systemic. But hopefully stuff that the new OC / QB coach will address with better coaching and a better playbook.
Agree with this summary completely.

I hear you, RF. I respect Go as a poster and his insights. By the moves that have been made, I think that the core issues were largely viewed as systemic, even taking into account injuries. Shrader has to be developed in the passing game to balance the offense, and the offense needs to evolve. Both can be true.

Gilbert was not the answer. GS may not be "the" answer. But at least now we have staff with a proven track record of success.
Went back and looked through all the stats at BYU 2013-2015, Virginia 2016-2021, seems they always used their system to get the most out of the players they had in place.
That's a sign of being great coaches, getting the most out of what you have to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom