Anae and the QB Position | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anae and the QB Position

Went back and looked through all the stats at BYU 2013-2015, Virginia 2016-2021, seems they always used their system to get the most out of the players they had in place.
That's a sign of being great coaches, getting the most out of what you have to work with.
Yup. These hires are almost too good to be true. The perfect confluence of events - Mendenhall suddenly retiring, Eliot looking for his own hires, staff openings at SU, Shrader fitting the profile of the type of QB they have had success with, Tucker staying, and SU willing to pay salaries.

Lightning in a bottle stuff. Need to make it official.

I'm not trying to insert myself in this debate between you and Go. But I get what he's saying.

The counter-argument [and I'm not arguing with you, B] is that the last three games occurred after Shrader got hurt on the last play of the game against VT. And also coincided with OL depth hitting the critical breaking point with injuries.

We stunk over those last three games, but the issues may have been more injury related than systemic. That's how I interpreted Go's post.

I certainly contend that the WR issues WERE systemic. But hopefully stuff that the new OC / QB coach will address with better coaching and a better playbook.

Vettorello was also injured in that VT game (cheap shot imo).

Tisdale came back and was even less effective than he was before his injury.

Not enough depth at OL. Will we ever? I hope so, there are a lot of bodies there. But Tisdale struggled so much, it's hard to believe that someone couldn't have been a little better. Maybe Cruz will be ready in year 2.

It didn't make sense to go from being as good as we were against Wake/VT to as bad as we were against Louisville (and not much better thereafter).

Vettorello was also injured in that VT game (cheap shot imo).

Tisdale came back and was even less effective than he was before his injury.

Not enough depth at OL. Will we ever? I hope so, there are a lot of bodies there. But Tisdale struggled so much, it's hard to believe that someone couldn't have been a little better. Maybe Cruz will be ready in year 2.

It didn't make sense to go from being as good as we were against Wake/VT to as bad as we were against Louisville (and not much better thereafter).

The OL was a work in progress. They went from "worst ever" in 2020 to "serviceable" last year -- major props to Schmidt -- but we only had 4/5 of an ACC caliber starting five. Vett and Tisdale [in that order] were both intermittently OK, but generally subpar.

I would kill for a starting caliber tackle, center -- or both -- from the transfer portal.

Will be interesting to see if Cruz can seize one of the tackle positions in his second year. Highest rated OL we've landed in a long time, and he should be ready to compete after a redshirt year. But if we find a starting caliber transfer for either tackle position, to bookend Bergeron, and compete with Cruz, we'd be cooking with gas.

Nervous about center. Hope that Ilaoa can take the next step, not sure if he's good enough.

The OL was a work in progress. They went from "worst ever" in 2020 to "serviceable" last year -- major props to Schmidt -- but we only had 4/5 of an ACC caliber starting five. Vett and Tisdale [in that order] were both intermittently OK, but generally subpar.

I would kill for a starting caliber tackle, center -- or both -- from the transfer portal.

Will be interesting to see if Cruz can seize one of the tackle positions in his second year. Highest rated OL we've landed in a long time, and he should be ready to compete after a redshirt year. But if we find a starting caliber transfer for either tackle position, to bookend Bergeron, and compete with Cruz, we'd be cooking with gas.

Nervous about center. Hope that Ilaoa can take the next step, not sure if he's good enough.
Have we heard much about Cruz though?

I feel like fans here talk about him a lot, but I don't think he made any game appearances.

Which might not mean anything, just, if you can get a guy in up to 4X, why not?

I think we will. 3 scholarship QBs on the roster is dangerously thin. And it will be hard to find a transfer QB who doesn't at least get a chance to compete for the job.

Maybe we bring in one of the younger UVA transfers and it will just be for depth.

Can't stick with 3, and I think there's only one possible recruit left that we're pursuing. Maybe we land him.
And then there will be the one who will enter the transfer portal in October...

I can't believe with the portal being open that they are 100% sold on GS being the starter next year. Like if Armstrong decides he wants to come then GS will not be starting. I think we can have some more movement in the QB position might have 2-3 coming and maybe someone else leaving. I think that position is the one that will/might have the most change in the next month or two.

Last edited:

Vett graded as our 3rd best OL in both run blocking and pass blocking.

This staff just showed me that they can make serious changes. The only person I'm SURE about is Tucker.

I’d imagine dudes like Mikel, Marlowe & Stefon, Garrett & Duce, and prolly at least 2-3 of our current OL are mortal locks to start next season.

Eveywhere else - bring in the best talent we can, and may the best players win PT.

This staff just showed me that they can make serious changes. The only person I'm SURE about is Tucker.
Sure, but it's not going to be Lamson or Morgan over GS

And then there will be the one who will enter the transfer portal in October...

That might happen with 3. It's even more of a risk when your backups are so far from home.

Or I guess from New Jersey I suppose.

Good for you, Lamson or Morgan is not starting over GS.

Why does his replacement have to be limited to Lamson or Morgan and not someone from the portal?

I can't believe with the portal being open that they are 100% sold on GS being the starter next year. Like if Armstrong decides he wants to come then GS will not be starting. I think we can have some more movement in the QB position might have 2-3 coming and maybe someone else leaving. I think that position is the one that will/might have the most change in the next month or two.
From your lips

Good for you, Lamson or Morgan is not starting over GS.
You're certain that a kid that has, by all accounts, a good arm and is a solid dual threat...that's never thrown a ball in a college game, will NEVER win the QB job from a guy that at one point had a 3 game stretch this year where he went 23-52 for 174 yards and no touchdowns? Sure, he does some good things with his feet, but during that same stretch he took 12 sacks and rushed the ball 53 times for 191 yards. I love Shrader's toughness too, but let's not act like it'd be wild and crazy for Lamson to eventually take the starting job from him.

Vett graded as our 3rd best OL in both run blocking and pass blocking.

I knew someone was going to post that, but I view him as the weakest link of the five.

Like Bergeron, Bleich, Ellis, and Davis a whole lot more.

But I love PFF and think their analysis is generally spot on, so...

I knew someone was going to post that, but I view him as the weakest link of the five.

Like Bergeron, Bleich, Ellis, and Davis a whole lot more.

But I love PFF and think their analysis is generally spot on, so...

Berg is a MAN.
Ellis is a Mountain.
Bleich (when healthy) and Davis (ditto) are very solid.

Ideally we’d have 3-4-5 more guys who aren’t much (if any) of a drop off from those dudes.

Would LOVE for us to pick up a plug and play C and maybe an OT from the portal, and we’re ready to roll.

Sean Tucker would be pleased with that performance.

A better QB will make the OL look better what were the sack stats this season?

Shrader>Devito and if Armstrong transfers Armstrong >Shrader…all that to say that means less sacks and a transfer portal qb!

I wouldn’t count on Armstrong transferring.
I read that Armstrong was actively recruiting UVA guys in the portal to return to UVA. I don't think he has been successful. That doesn't mean Armstrong is or is not transferring. Only pointing out that he was trying.

I read that Armstrong was actively recruiting UVA guys in the portal to return to UVA. I don't think he has been successful. That doesn't mean Armstrong is or is not transferring. Only pointing out that he was trying.
Yeah saw that as well. Like everyone he will assess how things are looking once we get into January. At the moment it looks like he is losing 3 starters and a couple backups just on his oline to include seemingly is All American Center. I would imagine that could change a QBs perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom