Anae and the QB Position | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Anae and the QB Position

Yeah, I think if we're dreaming big, we pull a guy from the portal that's a proven QB that'll throw and benefit from what Tucker opens up, and have him start next season while Beck works his magic on Shrader/the Captain/Lamson so we can keep the train rolling.

I think now that we have a legit OC/QB coach combo that we go all out for a portal QB. Add any kind of proven throwing threat to Tucker and our offense is going to get nasty. Assuming a healthy OL (of course).

We need a couple proven WRs, too. We have promising guys, but I have to think there are at least 20 or 30 better guys already in the portal.

Why are you so confident in your opinion about Lamson? We haven't seen him play. Do you have inside info?

Why didn't he get the game time over Morgan in 2020, then?

Do people really think that Anae and Beck took the job without knowing whether they could get Shrader effective in their offense? These 2 have been together since 2013 at BYU, they unlike us can see on film things we as fans have no idea.
There is no way these 2 would walk into a situation where they expect to not be able to produce.

Good point. And there is no guarantee that they can just hand pick a terrific QB to bring with them.

It wasn’t and still doesn’t have anything to do with Tommy/Dino

Much more that a lot of people in college football world see Dino as a deadman walking.

That’s why this Anae/Beck hiring is massive. It shows recruits both HS and transfers that Dinos seat isn’t as hot as we all thought it was.

Barring a total meltdown next season, Dino is back for 2023

Hate to say it, but if Dino has an underwhelming year, the 2 VA coaches probably take over as Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator. They probably already had this conversation with Wildhack.

Because he was in California?

I thought he was the other backup that year. I see now that it was Markewicz.
I'm not a line-up wizard like some of you guys are.
I was just happy to be interested in the games again last year.
Small steps.

LOL, that was funny. Most of those posters have been wrong going back to Shafer.
And one was the incumbent starting QBs dad. Lol. There’s no room at the inn here. None! If you’re thinking of renting, you shouldn’t! There’s nothing available in Del Boca Vista!

Yep. See my response to a similar framing by Go. I don’t disagree at all. I just think it’s strange that we know GS is flawed in some aspects to his game but there are those who flat out state/think he cannot train, practice and get better BUT a guy who can’t start or started but lost their job in the portal is an automatic upgrade (knowing he has his own flaws as well). Seems like selective reasoning. To be clear though be it portal, high school or grad transfer, I always want competition in the QB room. Bring another guy in and let the best player who gives Syracuse the best chance to win play.

Yeah I hadn’t read the rest of the posts before I posted. My bad. Don’t disagree, i want us to look for another portal QB whether it’s for depth or because they think it’s to improve the position.

I was talking about last offseason and GS transferred here. I agree about this off season. Those hires help a ton. And the relative success of last year (Tucker, good D, close losses).

Yes, I am as well.

This narrative that Dino was a deadman walking had started after he went 1-10 in 2020

I know some people on here like to say that season didn’t count but in the college football world it did.

The negative recruiting started about Dino being fired midway through the 2020 season.

Hate to say it, but if Dino has an underwhelming year, the 2 VA coaches probably take over as Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator. They probably already had this conversation with Wildhack.

I’m telling you, aside from going 0-12 next season or a major scandal, Dino will 100% be back in 2023

Not what I want personally. If he can’t get to a bowl I think he should be fired. However, I don’t make these decisions

We have 4 or 5 guys among our WRs who showed some real promise last year. You have to figure that at least a couple of them ought to get better.
Even if they do we still need to bring in a couple of receivers who can play now. Our receivers were bad, we need much better then what they are.

Dino literally HAS EVIDENCE that he will give a transfer QB a legit chance to compete & start.

Other coaches can say stuff like "open competition" and "may the best man win", but Dino has PROVEN that he will give transfers a fair shot.

And we have numerous others who have risen to the occasion - Roscoe, anyone??
Who had the dude from McNeese St beating out THREE super-seniors to become our most impactful D-Lineman this past season??

Dino now has a LOT to sell to a portal QB:
  • PROVEN OC & QB coach
  • legit chance to win starting job
  • Heisman-level RB
  • Improved OL with a proven coach.
  • Solid D, to get them the ball in good field position
  • climate controlled environment for home games
And a brand spanking new Aussie punter!

Very true. The intent of my framing as such though is because there are seemingly a number of people on the board who seem to think GS can't be taught and that his flaws can't be fixed. Some think we will find a perfect starter to replace GS. I think GS showed some really good attributes/abilities and I also think he needs to work on things like everyone. I think competition is also good but there's no perfect portal replacement. Usually there's some tradeoffs, maybe subtle and maybe not. Maybe Lamson shows us something? I agree with Jake from the article Anae and Beck know about GS and think there's maybe something there.
The thing I always think to myself when posters start getting super negative on GS: "name a single QB in the portal with any sort of meaningful game experience that will come to SU and beat out GS." Kedon Slovis and Bo Nix were not coming here even with Beck on board. Armstrong is NOT leaving UVA.

GS BEAT out TD because the kid can actually WIN and is not SCARED to play at this level. It was not long ago that a kid with moxy named Eric Dungey set this program on fire his senior year after giving the fanbase a rollercoaster the previous three years. Kids like Dungey and Schrader are who win at SU.

Sure, you bring in talent to compete, but I highly doubt we will find anyone in the Portal, on the roster, or in HS right now who will beat GS out for the SU QB1 position.

I’m telling you, aside from going 0-12 next season or a major scandal, Dino will 100% be back in 2023

Not what I want personally. If he can’t get to a bowl I think he should be fired. However, I don’t make these decisions
I'm good with DB coming back as long as he hands over the reigns of the offense. DB is a great ambassador for SU football and most of us like his personality. Game management is another area of concern but I do believe some of that was out of his control. We shell see.

From the Fizz article linked by sutomcat in the Daily Articles:

"With Anae and Beck holding the script, quarterbacks averaged 3,200 passing yards, 524 rush yards, and 3,725 yards of total offense between 2013-2020 between BYU and UVA." Armstrong's numbers would boost those averages even higher.

In 21, Armstrong passed for "just under 4,500 yards passing, 251 rushing, and 40 total touchdowns. To put that into perspective, Armstrong would be Syracuse’s school record holder for passing yards BY A LONG SHOT. Ryan Nassib holds the standard at 3,749 which he set in 2012. Not bad for Armstrong though, a guy from Shelby, Ohio who didn’t even get a sniff from Ohio State."

Anae and Beck now have a 9 year history of that type of production AND QB development. I'm sure part of the draw in coming to SU for A&B is what they could do with GS and Tucker as weapons.

Again, the addition of Anae and Beck is such a home run it's almost
too good to be true.

Fizz Article

The thing I always think to myself when posters start getting super negative on GS: "name a single QB in the portal with any sort of meaningful game experience that will come to SU and beat out GS." Kedon Slovis and Bo Nix were not coming here even with Beck on board. Armstrong is NOT leaving UVA.

GS BEAT out TD because the kid can actually WIN and is not SCARED to play at this level. It was not long ago that a kid with moxy named Eric Dungey set this program on fire his senior year after giving the fanbase a rollercoaster the previous three years. Kids like Dungey and Schrader are who win at SU.

Sure, you bring in talent to compete, but I highly doubt we will find anyone in the Portal, on the roster, or in HS right now who will beat GS out for the SU QB1 position.

I hate going down this road but Shrader is 3-6 as a starter with a 52% completion percentage. That's not good enough to have a lock on the spot for 2 more years.

Here are several portal QBs I think could come in here and unseat Shrader.

Connor Bazelak
Taisun Phommachanh
Jack Sears
Cameron Ward

Intriguing Prospects
Deuce Hogan
Harrison Bailey
Parker McQuarrie

Last edited:
I hate going down this road but Shrader is 3-6 as a starter with a 52% competition percentage. That's not good enough to have a lock on the spot for 2 more years.

Connor Bazelak
Taisun Phommachanh
Jack Sears
Cameron Ward

Intriguing Prospects
Deuce Hogan
Harrison Bailey
Parker McQuarrie
I don't know much about the other guys, but Taisun didn't impress me in the little I saw of him.

I don't know much about the other guys, but Taisun didn't impress me in the little I saw of him.

It's hard for me to draw hard conclusions from such a small sample size. I think he has huge upside but did get beat out by Uiagalelei, so I'm sure he has some flaws.

I hate going down this road but Shrader is 3-6 as a starter with a 52% completion percentage. That's not good enough to have a lock on the spot for 2 more years.

Connor Bazelak
Taisun Phommachanh
Jack Sears
Cameron Ward

Intriguing Prospects
Deuce Hogan
Harrison Bailey
Parker McQuarrie
I think you actually like going down this road....;)

I think you actually like going down this road...;)

I don't like going down the road of dissing on players but it's a necessary evil sometimes when there are disagreements. Oh well.

Connor Bazelak
Taisun Phommachanh
Jack Sears
Cameron Ward

Intriguing Prospects
Deuce Hogan
Harrison Bailey
Parker McQuarrie
I don't know that anyone has said he has a lock on the position. I think people are refuting those that say we can't win with him and that he can't improve. He made enough plays to show we can win with him. Get some WRs that will catch the ball, find one that scares secondaries deep, and work on some mechanics and we're already in better shape. That's not to say you don't try to provide competiton, either through HS recruits or the portal. We should always try to do that. If Major Applewhite and Jalen Hurts can lose their jobs, almost no QB should be considered a lock to remain starter.

Last edited:
I don't know rhat anyone has said he has a lock on the position. I think people are refuting those that say we can't win with him and that he can't improve. He made enough plays to show we can win with him. Get some WRs that will catch the ball, find one that scares secondaries deep, and work on some mechanics and we're already in better shape. That's not to say you don't try to provide competiton, either through HS recruits or the portal. We should always try to do that. If Major Applewhite and Jalen Hurts can lose their jobs, almost no QB should be considered a lock to remain starter.

Yeah, this is literally a - WHY NOT BOTH? - scenario.

Bring in a portal QB to challenge for the job.
... just like Dino did last year.

AND

Anae & Beck coach Shrader up, so between that and the comp, he's that much better of a QB at the end of it all.

THEN

may the best player win the QB1 job.
... ideally right away, not 3.5 games into the season.

I don't know rhat anyone has said he has a lock on the position. I think people are refuting those that say we can't win with him and that he can't improve. He made enough plays to show we can win with him. Get some WRs that will catch the ball, find one that scares secondaries deep, and work on some mechanics and we're already in better shape. That's not to say you don't try to provide competiton, either through HS recruits or the portal. We should always try to do that. If Major Applewhite and Jalen Hurts can lose their jobs, almost no QB should be considered a lock to remain starter.

I think you were saying there are no realistic transfers we could bring in that could unseat him. I gave you a handful that I believe to be realistic, especially now with our new coaches, a couple of which have substantial experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom